Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 221925 times)

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #75 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:04:18 am »
 :thumbsup:

Thank you

« Reply #76 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »
You're spoiling us. 
One observation - I tick 'legend' but the lines for Kurt and William still show.

« Reply #77 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »
Jo

One quick observation, if you turn on the distance markers then I would have thought that the common start should be linked and chosen as the distances are meaningless for someone who starts later than Steve.

« Reply #78 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
Mmm....great visualisation. If you click on "Full Year" then it is realy scary as it shows clearly just what a small percentage of the total they have actually done. I wish I hadn't clicked now!!

red marley

« Reply #79 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:21:25 pm »
Jo

One quick observation, if you turn on the distance markers then I would have thought that the common start should be linked and chosen as the distances are meaningless for someone who starts later than Steve.

Yes I agree. That is one of the changes to make on my TODO list. In the meantime I may just disable the option when not viewing the standardised start times. Edit: Done

« Reply #80 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:32:29 pm »
From the graphs, it doesnt seem that tarzan stops much.  His days seem to be a uniform progression. Is this a limitation of data on his rides, or is this a true reflection of him just not stopping ?

The wee summary at the bottom is what I was hoping for, re avg speed and hours.
Is there rounding going on on Tarzans data ? 1,800 miles.  200 miles/day

Edit to highlight: Tommy was 4k off the pace at one point coming back to a best of being ~1k ahead.  About 5000 miles is about my anual distance, not something to be done on top of 205mpd in about 6 months...  The whole thing is staggering.

« Reply #81 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:36:57 pm »
Hi jo - are you a cricket fan? We have the current run rate - a required run rate would be nice too. i.e. In the days remaining, how many miles per day does each rider have to average to beat the Tommy Godwin record.

This is all fantastic, by the way!

red marley

« Reply #82 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:48:28 pm »
From the graphs, it doesnt seem that tarzan stops much.  His days seem to be a uniform progression. Is this a limitation of data on his rides, or is this a true reflection of him just not stopping ?

The wee summary at the bottom is what I was hoping for, re avg speed and hours.
Is there rounding going on on Tarzans data ? 1,800 miles.  200 miles/day

No rounding going on with Kurt's data - just a coincidence. Here are his daily accumulated distances:

To calculate the data for the graphs, I process the GPS files, which include timestamped lat/long points at a fairly high temporal resolution (down to a few seconds in places). I reproject the lat/long into UTM coordinates in order to calculate distances between course points. I then bucket these into 5 minute segments, i.e. every five minutes from midnight to midnight, I record the accumulated distance. These are the data you see in the lines. When 'zoomed out' to see a longer period of time, the visualization will sample at longer intervals (e.g. once an hour), which could hide some of the stops. When zoomed in you should see the full five-minute sample rate and it does look like generally Kurt takes only small stops.

« Reply #83 on: 19 January, 2015, 03:45:24 pm »
Someone else asked the very same question on page 1 of this thread, and jo gave an explanation :-)

red marley

« Reply #84 on: 19 January, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »
And to paraphrase a simple explanation: Imagine someone riding at exactly Godwin's pace of 205 mpd for every day of the year until December 31st when they blitz it and do 500 miles. The blue area would be 0 but the red area positive on the last day.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #85 on: 19 January, 2015, 05:46:41 pm »
You're spoiling us. 
One observation - I tick 'legend' but the lines for Kurt and William still show.
:facepalm:

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #86 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:15:10 pm »
As the web app is now up and running, I won't continue to publish screenshots of the graphs (unless there is a particular demand here). For anyone who doesn't quite 'get' the graph, I've added a How to read the OYTT chart page.

« Reply #87 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:22:01 pm »
I'd like to see the graph each day posted here. In future years, the daily graph and associated comments will be fascinating I think.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

red marley

« Reply #88 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:27:18 pm »
OK Monsieur Wobbly. Will do. Mr Runner, I've edited my OP to give the URL to the visualization.

« Reply #89 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:48:21 pm »
Much appreciated :)

red marley

« Reply #90 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:14:22 am »
Consolidation day for Steve after a very cold early morning and a tough weekend. Remarkably consistent high milage from Kurt.

red marley

« Reply #91 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:46:24 am »
A tough day for Kurt - three punctures and two crashes - but still 179 miles covered. A cold but steady day for Steve keeps him above his upper target.

red marley

« Reply #92 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:48:04 am »
Another tough day for Kurt with more punctures and more offs, but still an impressively consistent distance covered. Steve endures more ice and cold. Both Steve and Kurt increasing their leads over Tommy Godwin day by day.

« Reply #93 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:05:34 pm »
As the graphs become longer (wider?) could you add some faint horizontal lines so it's easier to read against the distance axis?

Ta.

red marley

« Reply #94 on: 22 January, 2015, 02:10:16 pm »
The charts aren't getting any longer - just more miles to squeeze into the same space.

But thanks for the suggestion, which I think makes it clearer to read, especially as the riders move away from the 0 baseline. I've updated today's image along with the web app to include both horizontal and vertical lines.

« Reply #95 on: 22 January, 2015, 06:16:07 pm »
Luvverly, thanks.

« Reply #96 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:47:24 pm »
Hi Jo

The answer is probably blindingly obvious, but where can I find the web app? Great work by the way :)

« Reply #97 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:17:24 pm »
Hi Jo

The answer is probably blindingly obvious, but where can I find the web app? Great work by the way :)

http://gicentre.org/oytt/

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #98 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:58:27 pm »
I unclicked "Legend" on the web chart, but it still showed a line for Tommy Godwin. (And for Steve and Kurt too.)
Not especially helpful or mature

red marley