Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 406507 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #1275 on: 27 November, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »
This seems like an appropriate point to moan about UniFi solving some sort of Mega-Global Fruit Corporation problem or something by removing 802.11d support entirely from their access points.  With hilarious consequences.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1276 on: 27 November, 2016, 11:02:13 pm »
Bloody Kindle has decided not to do wi-fi again >:(

When we first got a Kindle, it couldn't connect to our European WiFi, because my WiFi was on European channel 13.
Older kindles could only do USAsian channels 1-11.

I cant remember if a kindle updeat fixed it, or if I forced the WiFi to channel6 or somesuch.

But there is/was an issue with kindles being too USEsian in their WiFi appetites.
Is it possible that your WiFi has auto-wombled off to channel 13 or somesuch?

Hmmmm.  It did this the last time it was at Fort Larrington too, so I wonder whether that's a factor, but it declined to start speaking wi-fi again when I took it home.  I've had it for a couple of years and it's behaved OK up until last month.  Full reset sorted it that time, at the cost of spending an entire afternoon repopulating it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1277 on: 28 November, 2016, 12:01:54 pm »
And another thing.  Phone, how is it you can sit for days on the table in the Great Hall of Larrington Towers without eating more than trace quantities of voles but are currently being charged for the third time since arriving at Fort Larrington on Friday >:(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1278 on: 28 November, 2016, 03:07:49 pm »
And now I've gone and left my only USB-Lightning cable at Fort Larrington.  Piss >:(

ian

« Reply #1279 on: 29 November, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »
First off, iCloud calendar spam. Yeah, you festering spungmuffins, filling my calendar with your shitflung offers isn't going to make me buy it. It's going to make me want simmer your soul for the rest of eternity in big vat of festering donkey splooge.

Secondly, Apple, delete is not decline. I'd rather not let the mutant spungmuffins know I exist by kindly declining their offers (unless that decline arrives surfing atop a tsunami of hot, rancid donkey splooge). See, the clue you avocado-addled sunbaked fuckwits, is the fact you have both options on the menu. If I wanted to decline I'd select decline rather than delete, wouldn't I?

Thirdly, oh yeah, sure I'll go to iCloud and nuke the bloody option to receive this crapola. But wait, what's that Apple, my three random word, dIzZiLy CaPiTalISeD, and numerically unbalanced password isn't strong enough? It's already the fucking He-Man of passwords. What the shitting else can I do? Transliterate into Linear B and mix it up with Norse runes? Randomise it every 50 milliseconds? Make me sing it soprano at Siri every time I try to log in? What else do you want from me? Pig felching fucknuckling knobchuckling barneygobyeads the lot of you.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1280 on: 29 November, 2016, 08:13:17 pm »
[Commentator's voice] A startlingly good late entry in the YACF 2016 Profanity of the Year contest there from Ian. What an effort from a competitor at the top of his game. [/Commentator's voice]
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

simonp

« Reply #1281 on: 02 December, 2016, 12:03:11 am »
Do they teach kids nothing these days. Using floating point to compute how many indivisible widgets to allocate to each doodah.

I rewrote the loop to use only integer shifts, adds, subtracts and comparisons. Probably at least 10x faster, maybe much more. Also - it now works.  ::-)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1282 on: 02 December, 2016, 02:06:22 pm »
Look, fondleslab, if I tap the "Open in Safari" wossname on a Facething post then kindly do as you're fucking told and open the damn page IN SAFARI >:( Not in the Grauniad's app.

« Reply #1283 on: 04 December, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »
Credit / Debit card issuers, sort your effing authentication.

I should not be seeing things like this in my address bar:-

https://secure5.arcot.com

It's allegedly an insecure page using the https protocol, and it's certainly not at bigbank.com, like it should be. And as you load that page in a frame, my browser doesn't even tell me why it refuses to load.

I'm supposed to be buying stuff online, not having to decide whether arcot.com is actually secure and is someone I should trust, and I certainly shouldn't be having to play silly games with extra tabs and agreeing to this and that, just to get to enter my card details.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1284 on: 04 December, 2016, 10:49:30 pm »
I have no idea how my default browser has changed to Microsoft Edge but I would like to say it's the ugliest, clunkiest thing I've used since I sold my Austin Maestro in 1990.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #1285 on: 05 December, 2016, 09:05:38 am »
Credit / Debit card issuers, sort your effing authentication.

I should not be seeing things like this in my address bar:-

https://secure5.arcot.com

It's allegedly an insecure page using the https protocol, and it's certainly not at bigbank.com, like it should be. And as you load that page in a frame, my browser doesn't even tell me why it refuses to load.

I'm supposed to be buying stuff online, not having to decide whether arcot.com is actually secure and is someone I should trust, and I certainly shouldn't be having to play silly games with extra tabs and agreeing to this and that, just to get to enter my card details.

The Eurostar site does something along these lines (as far as I can tell, there's something on the payment page that Chrome thinks isn't https when it pulls up the 3D secure crap, ironically I don't even have it on my card), which means Chrome refuses to load the page. But it doesn't tell you this, nor does Eurostar. A happy half hour before I gave up and used Firefox which didn't seem to care so much.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1286 on: 11 December, 2016, 03:39:30 pm »
Look, fondleslab, if I tap the "Open in Safari" wossname on a Facething post then kindly do as you're fucking told and open the damn page IN SAFARI >:( Not in the Grauniad's app.

To be fair to the fondleslab (and to Facething), in my experience it's because Safari has been told to open it and has instead decided to palm it off to the native app instead. Does it to me on YouToob links all the time.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1287 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:12:40 pm »
I know it's an old, cheap printer but fruitytech is supposed to Just Work, isn't it?

HP don't do an OS X driver for a LaserJet 1018.

Neither do Apple.

Apple do offer a bundle of drivers including one for a 1022, which apparently will work.

Said bundle is a HALF A FLAMING GIGABYTE download.

:facepalm:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1288 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »
Somewhere in Britain, last week in anonymous office building...

A colleague:  Hmm do you know how to run an transform over an XML file in .Net?
TheLurker:  Why certainly, here's the source for something I put together a few years ago... uses the .Net XmlCompiledTransform class; jolly easy to use.
FX: Hollywood OS: e-mail flummery
A colleague:  Ta.

Today, also somewhere in Britain in an anonymous office building...

A colleague:  I can't get this damned transform to work, keeps throwing this exception,  "{the usual gobbledegook}".
TheLurker: Hmm, that's odd. Let's have a dekko....
*peers at stack trace*

Check XSLT, hmm version 2, nothing odd in there...

*goggle's exception*
*read a stack overflow response*
*instant apoplexy*

M$!  Sweet Suffering Baby Jebus!  XSLT version 2 has been around since 2007 and yet the *very latest* version your bloody library still only supports  XSLT 1!?  Even sodding Java can deal with XSLT 2.  Listen, you scabrous bunch of malingering bollock scratchers,  XSLT 3 is only just around the corner so effing well get your damned libraries brought up to date PDQ.  Pillocks.

For those that are interested downgrading the XSLT to V1 syntax is, of course, a complete non-starter.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1289 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:34:59 pm »
iTunes, if I tell you to add to your library the contents of a folder containing a bunch of .mp3 files then I expect you to process those .mp3 files.  And only those .mp3 files.  I know not whence you acquired the notion that you should also process a Several of thousands of files of type .sii, .mat, .dds, .tobj, .utcaa1 ect. ect. which were not in the folder I specified and have nothing whatsoever to do with you, but I should be obliged if you would cease and desist from such unseemly twattery in future.

1: OK, maybe I made that one up...

ian

« Reply #1290 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:48:10 pm »
I know it's an old, cheap printer but fruitytech is supposed to Just Work, isn't it?

Neither do Apple.

Apple do offer a bundle of drivers including one for a 1022, which apparently will work.

To be fair, Apple don't write the drivers, that's down to HP, they just bundle and ship them. Along with Siri's core AI and associated routines in preparation for our dystopian future as playthings of ever more capricious AIs. Or possibly that's already happened.

In other news: Winsock. Ha, there's still people using Windows for Workgroups 3.1.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1291 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:53:49 pm »
In other news: Winsock. Ha, there's still people using Windows for Workgroups 3.1.
Lucky bastards.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1292 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:56:52 pm »

Neither do Apple.

To be fair, Apple don't write the drivers, that's down to HP, they just bundle and ship them. Along with Siri's core AI and associated routines in preparation for our dystopian future as playthings of ever more capricious AIs. Or possibly that's already happened.

Ha, I remember using Trumpet Winsock before MS believed in TCP/IP.
And then later in win95 having to Add Protocol... Have Disk... MSTCPIP32.SYS <grind, grind goes the floppy drive>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1293 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:57:28 pm »
To be fair, Apple don't write the drivers, that's down to HP, they just bundle and ship them.

That's really my issue - rather than letting me download one driver, I have to download and install ALL the drivers for every HP printer and scanner they support. The mind boggles.

ian

« Reply #1294 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:59:22 pm »
To be fair, Apple don't write the drivers, that's down to HP, they just bundle and ship them.

That's really my issue - rather than letting me download one driver, I have to download and install ALL the drivers for every HP printer and scanner they support. The mind boggles.

You don't, you can (if HP deign to provide one) download a single driver from the HP site. Such as this.

Chris S

« Reply #1295 on: 15 December, 2016, 10:40:05 am »
Windows.  :facepalm:

I have a "lab" I use for testing - it's a set of VMs on a Windows domain - there's a DC with DHCP/DNS - pffft, standard stuff. I have robot scripts that reset the VM states prior to automated testing, driven by Jenkins jobs from another server; and all is good.
Except... when the VMs get a new DHCP lease after a reset back to baseline, they randomly "untrust" the network; so the "Domain Network" suddenly becomes "Public (Untrusted) Network" and the VM drops off the Domain resources - it no longer appears in DNS, and so on. The only way to fix this at this point is to leave/re-join the VM to the domain. Which means I the have to take a new baseline snapshot of the VM. It's all VERY tedious.

A solution would be to have all the lab VMs with static addresses. FFS  ::-).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1296 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »
Dear Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia,

I have three machines running 64-bit Windows 10.  All of them have iThings on them.  How hard would it be, when updates come around, for you to offer an option just to download the update?  Then I could:
  • put it on a network disk and so only have to download it once, and
  • install it at a time that suits me because you always want a fucking reboot after installing it
instead of having to wait for the backup to finish1 in a state of no-Bob-Dylanness.

1: i.e. tomorrow

SoreTween

« Reply #1297 on: 17 December, 2016, 12:34:59 pm »
Lucky bastards.
:thumbsup:

SoreTween

« Reply #1298 on: 17 December, 2016, 12:51:46 pm »
Windows.  :facepalm:

I have a "lab" I use for testing - it's a set of VMs on a Windows domain - there's a DC with DHCP/DNS - pffft, standard stuff. I have robot scripts that reset the VM states prior to automated testing, driven by Jenkins jobs from another server; and all is good.
Except... when the VMs get a new DHCP lease after a reset back to baseline, they randomly "untrust" the network; so the "Domain Network" suddenly becomes "Public (Untrusted) Network" and the VM drops off the Domain resources - it no longer appears in DNS, and so on. The only way to fix this at this point is to leave/re-join the VM to the domain. Which means I the have to take a new baseline snapshot of the VM. It's all VERY tedious.

A solution would be to have all the lab VMs with static addresses. FFS  ::-).
How long do the VMs run after each reset?  I had the same issue on a job a few years ago and in the end kept the VM snapshot in an unjoined state.  It's not just that the VMs stop trusting the Domain, the DC will stop trusting the VM if.... jeepers it was a while ago now  ... I think there is a trust certificate that gets refreshed periodically between DC & client and basically after a reset the VM goes back to using an old copy of the certificate that the DC no longer trusts.

My environment wasn't automated and VM resets could be after anything from a few hours to a fortnight.  Around a week runtime was the point at which I'd not know if I'd be in for an unjoin/join.  Mine was a Win7 & server 2008R2 setup

Phil W

« Reply #1299 on: 17 December, 2016, 01:17:35 pm »
You could run the following in your automated scripts after a restore / reset.

netdom resetpwd /Server:DC /UserD:Administrator /PasswordD:mysuperpassword