Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166484 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13350 on: 03 November, 2018, 06:26:23 pm »
It does that, though a telex signal was best for waking you up on a Monday morning. 80v+ve DC for mark and 80v-ve DC for space. But I believe that telex is no more :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13351 on: 03 November, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »
It does that, though a telex signal was best for waking you up on a Monday morning. 80v+ve DC for mark and 80v-ve DC for space. But I believe that telex is no more :(
Say it ain't so. 25272 TICOR G, from before we even had a fax machine at work.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #13352 on: 03 November, 2018, 09:50:38 pm »
The car. Biannual jet wash/traffic film removal/snow foam/shampoo/de-I water rinse/polish/wheel change. Phew.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13353 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:19:34 pm »
I made an apple pie, but during some exuberant pastry rolling I knocked my G&T over.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13354 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:23:50 pm »
Swapped V-brakes for some well-used mini-Vs, with a view to installing an old pair of Ergo levers, which I do prefer to the existing bar-ends. Examining the Ergos, I think the r/h lever may need some attention beyond a squirt of WD40. Had a look at couple of videos describing overhauls. Think I'll have a go - should be 'fun'! Looks as if any necessary spares are available online.  Wish me luck.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13355 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:48:26 am »
Squirted waterproofing spray at my HB bag. Brushed Thursday's crud off the bike, degreased & lubed the chain.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13356 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:55:20 pm »
Cleaned, degreased and polished the car summer wheels that came off yesterday, then stored them in the shed. Dug our from the nettle patch the support for the bird feeders and set it up on the patio.  Too early to start feeding just yet. And finally did some work on my Domane build. I fitted the Duotrap sensor to the chainstay  :thumbsup: 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13357 on: 04 November, 2018, 04:08:36 pm »
Squirted waterproofing spray at my HB bag.

Ah, thanks for the reminder...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13358 on: 04 November, 2018, 04:30:39 pm »
Cleaned the gutters out on mine, and 2 more  'senior' neighbours' houses.  About 4 buckets of moss, leaves  and soil.  Ladders now put away for the winter.  I hope....

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13359 on: 04 November, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
Fettled proper lights onto the commuter bike with the aid of some GoPro clamps, P-clips and an length of tubing...

Bodgetastic by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13360 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:21:58 pm »
Mrs P fettled new zip pulls on my waterproof jacket  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13361 on: 08 November, 2018, 08:51:16 am »

Must look into that. I have half a dozen still-decent jerseys on which the zip pulls have disintegrated.

How do you get the right size for the zip?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13362 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:48:02 am »

Must look into that. I have half a dozen still-decent jerseys on which the zip pulls have disintegrated.

Mine is a YKK zip. The pulls have a code on the underside. They and the stoppers came from here: https://www.shelbyoutdoor.com/?cPath=402_31_82

« Reply #13363 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:51:59 am »
Replaced the broken saddle on the tandem with one from the shed. I'm not sure how it's going to be - I've not found any saddles that are perfect on there, but it'll be better than riding on a lopsided one with a broken rail. It's annoying because the broken one wasn't bad, but it was a Specialized Windie which are discontinued. :(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13364 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:22:19 am »

Mine is a YKK zip. The pulls have a code on the underside. They and the stoppers came from here: https://www.shelbyoutdoor.com/?cPath=402_31_82

:thumbsup:

Mine are mostly YKK as well, AFAIK.  Mostly it's the bit that holds the wee tag that's gone phut and they can still be used, but one or two are sliderless.

Thanks for the link.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13365 on: 08 November, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »

Mine are mostly YKK as well, AFAIK.  Mostly it's the bit that holds the wee tag that's gone phut and they can still be used, but one or two are sliderless.

Thanks for the link.
If it's just a bog standard zip you should be able to find new sliders on Amazon or some haberdashery website, but Pingu's zip was one of those back to front water proof jobs, hence why the bits had to come all the way from Finland.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13366 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:46:19 am »
Fitted the hard race spring to the TSR.  Bit fiddly getting the leading links and washers back on, even with a ratchet strap compressing the suspension.  Then I had to set the ride height again.  Might give it a whirl later.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13367 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:18:18 am »

Thanks for the link.
If it's just a bog standard zip you should be able to find new sliders on Amazon or some haberdashery website, but Pingu's zip was one of those back to front water proof jobs, hence why the bits had to come all the way from Finland.

Gitcha. Ta!

« Reply #13368 on: 10 November, 2018, 03:15:01 pm »
In part eleventy million of operation declutter-the-spare-room*, I decided to have a book clearout (I'm utterly hopeless at getting rid of books, but have finally conceded that I'm very unlikely to ever read the university textbooks I haven't looked at in 15 years). I've managed to get rid of 1 shelf's worth of books so far (out of 9)...it's a start!

At the same time, I've also decided to try and catalogue my sheet music (though not getting rid of any of that, because sheet music is necessary and I don't care what anyone says). I'm using Libib.com - but I hadn't quite realised how time-consuming it would be. Lots of my music is either fairly old or from weird publishers (damn you, Banks of York, and your super-cheap clearance sale about a decade ago), and ISBNs are rare. I may be some time... :o

*I have dreams of being able to set up the turbo trainer *and* a music stand in there one day. Not for using at the same time, obv.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13369 on: 10 November, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »
*I have dreams of being able to set up the turbo trainer *and* a music stand in there one day. Not for using at the same time, obv.

I have a music stand in front of my turbo to hold a tablet
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13370 on: 10 November, 2018, 07:31:03 pm »
A Sonos Playbase and an Echo Dot. So now I can ask for whatever I want to be played “in the lounge”. Cool.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13371 on: 10 November, 2018, 08:25:51 pm »
(I'm utterly hopeless at getting rid of books, but have finally conceded that I'm very unlikely to ever read the university textbooks I haven't looked at in 15 years).

Snap re getting rid of books, I have a full set of 1970s encyclopaedias that I just can't bring myself to get rid of.  Textbooks however still get used perhaps once or twice a year.

I was looking at all of my NEBOSH diploma notes though and thinking how out of date they are 17 years later, even the legislation has changed.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13372 on: 11 November, 2018, 10:51:26 am »
Got fed up with pentatonic blues scale and banged a few extra frets into my 3-string.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13373 on: 11 November, 2018, 04:22:53 pm »
I have removed a quantity of Grand Onion, with a side-order of chutney, from the crevices of my Brompton.  This appears to have stopped the horrible graunching noise from the front wheel.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13374 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:47:02 pm »
Siliconed up the gap between the painted wall and the tile trim in the bathroom. That's it totally finished now, except to rehang the seal tiles.
Sewed up the Yeowwwww! Catnip green fish, for the 2nd time. It's starting to look like a Franken fish now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.