Author Topic: Simon Doughty  (Read 4764 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Simon Doughty
« on: 23 November, 2008, 11:07:11 am »
I was wondering if anyone was able to post any updates on how Simon was and whether his recoery had progressed any further?

Can't find anything recent on this. Might just need pointing in the right direction.

Thanks

Re: Simon Doughty
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2008, 12:43:11 pm »
Simon was mentioned at yesterday's AGM.

Basically, he continues to make tiny amounts of progress.  He is still living in his residential facility, and is sometimes taken on outings.  Any further improvements are expected  to be marginal.

Very sad.

alan

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:11:29 pm »
Does anyone know if Simon has improved since the above post?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:15:44 pm »
I don't think he's made much recent progress, from what those who had visited him within the past few weeks told me at Lee Valley during LEL.

alan

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
 :(

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:26:20 pm »
This is sad. I did not know he was unwell. His book was an great inspiration and fantastic source of information to me.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »
Simon's Mother contacted me last year, as he'd moved into his own accommodation. Some DVDs had been lost in the move, and he likes watching those about long distance cycling. I sent her some to pass onto him.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »
Simon Doughty was hit by a drunk driver in 2006.

The latest info I can find is from 2010 and looks positive: he still needed a lot of care, but was continuing his inevitably slow recovery. 

I just watched this programme Brain Doctors . It reminded me of Simon's situation, made me feel sad.

The program is really creepy.   I'm watching it now and thinking how those people won't be the same for years, if ever. 

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »
I was privileged to race against Simon in the ‘80s and he was an inspiration at LEL05, with all expectations that he would lead the LEL09 team. I believe he was on his daily commute to BC HQ, Manchester, wearing all the safety stuff you need, when he was taken out in a stolen car incident. I regularly reflect on Simon’s accident when advising young cyclists on Bikeability training about how vulnerable we are as cyclists.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:36:50 am »
I found a letter from Simon's mother and sent him some of the recent videos, as Simon is still interested in cycling. He still receives round-the-clock care. He's developed an interest in painting , and has had some paintings exhibited. His brother passed away this year, following cancer.
I was reminded that Simon features in the Fleur Whitlock PBP DVD from 2003. That was a good introduction to PBP, and has sound training advice. I think Fleur had a load pressed up commercially, and they're now 7 pounds a copy in the UK. She tells me you can get them on E Bay as well.
http://www.pbp-films.com/buy_pbp_film.asp

« Reply #10 on: 22 December, 2014, 12:02:31 pm »
Assasin's late father took some excellent photos of Simon racing Tommy the Tandem. I was one of the stokers. There are some great Tommy stories in the vaults.

If anyone still has a hard copy handbook you'll see some of Simon's drawings there.

Miss my first tandem partner and great friend lots. HK

Ps I'm called HK because of Simon.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2014, 07:35:48 pm »
I did recieve a christmas card signed by Simon.
He is still very much interested cycling.
I always send him a yearly update on things I have been involved in.
Most of the things I have been instigated in are based on his knowledge.
Evrn though he regards trikes as the devils own device.
Visitors welcome by appointment.
Unlikely that Simon will improve but he is happier in his own house.
I really must go an visit.
I believe the old Simon I had so many adventures with in hiding in there
somewhere.
HK a shared stoker was also known as Doorbells and the Welder.
Best not to ask. :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2014, 07:52:01 pm »
I only met Simon the once, while repairing Damon's broken bottom bracket during LEL05. I'd have liked to have ridden with him; he seemed like a good bloke.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2014, 09:31:49 pm »
Interesting to compare this sentence with the 18 months given to the driver who hit Simon. It seems drunk drivers face tougher sentences now.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/news/teenage-drink-driver-jailed-for-28940/

And in fact this diabetic driver who killed a cyclist was also jailed

http://www.canterburytimes.co.uk/Driver-sentenced-causing-death-cyclist-diabetic/story-25751855-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.