Author Topic: Plymouth to Oxford on a Brompton: Opinion?  (Read 1911 times)

Plymouth to Oxford on a Brompton: Opinion?
« on: 16 July, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »
Hello

I'm thinking of riding my six-speed + double chainring Brompton from Plymouth to Oxford in about 10 days in late August or early September:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21239586

I always use the Brompton for touring because it's so convenient. I'll mostly stop at camp sites with a few nights at hostels.

I never rode in South-West England, and I notice RwGPS says "910.2 km +8605 m": Would you say that trip is doable even without being an athlete? Should I cut it short by stopping at Bristol and ride a bit less each day?

Thank you.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Plymouth to Oxford on a Brompton: Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:49:17 pm »
It sounds like you've done touring on a Brompton before so how does an average of 90km/day (call it 60 miles or 5-6 hours at 10-12mph/20kph) compare with what you've done previously, and indeed the terrain.
imo day 3 is usually the least fun, after which you're into the swing of it.
I've never been much further west than Bristol so can't comment on the terrain.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:58:17 pm »
Blimey, those are some impressive wobbles.

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2017, 02:26:51 pm »
But then, there are quite a few sights to check in the area :-)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1DWujlhdUEypR4K4W9QKctHDhZOg

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2017, 07:15:07 pm »
To sum it up: A region with great landscapes and attractions, that suffers from terrible drivers, and is lacking in traffic-free routes and cheap camp sites.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2017, 06:35:37 am »
To sum it up: A region with great landscapes and attractions, that suffers from terrible drivers, and is lacking in traffic-free routes and cheap camp sites.

If you are just planning to use Sustrans facilities then you are setting yourself up for disappointment

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2017, 10:00:24 am »
OTOH you could use Sustrans routes, by which I mean the lanes of the NCN. Though sometimes those are silly too. Never ridden a Brompton so can't comment on that but if it's hills you're concerned about, stopping at Bristol would be the wrong way to go about it, as the worst are down in Devon and Dorset. It looks as if you're going round the steepest bits of the Cotswolds, although I do note you're going through Wotton-under-Edge.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2017, 03:09:04 pm »
Given suitable gearing (which it sounds like the OP has), Bromptons climb hills just fine; it's everything else they're varying degrees of awful at.  Fitness can make up for their inefficiency on the flat, but there's only so much off-roading you can do on one before the comedy runs out.  On that basis, I'd treat NCN routes with caution.  An OS map would be a better planning tool.

The convenience of a folding bike for multi-modal journeys and for secure storage can't be denied, but unless you're setting out to prove something or have no other option, a Brompton would be very low down my list of choices for a 900km tour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
If off-road is a problem for Brommies, then I'd give any route from rwgps a very thorough check against alternative mapping, such as OS.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.