Author Topic: multiple OSM Maps on Etrex 20  (Read 14000 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: multiple OSM Maps on Etrex 20
« Reply #25 on: 04 December, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »
Since it seems to be so simple/maybe daft though, couldn't Garmin just send you any deleted system file etc for you load back on?

I wouldn't rely on Garmin to wipe my ass.  **

Like henshaw - 1st thing I did, copy everytthing in the Garmin onto hd.
Then, when I'd got it setup how i liked it (profiles and so on) I made another copy.

** a large, smelly animal with long ears and a loud voice, lives in the back garden.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Euan Uzami

« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2012, 12:48:08 am »
Does anyone know: if you have multiple maps enabled at once, does it show them all at once, or one in preference to the other?

I've got the GB discoverer (OS-style) on my new etrex 30 and whilst I like it in remote areas of countryside, in a city or town it's not very good. Too many features and the screen's far too 'busy'.

I also like its routing ability far better than my old etrex vista but I don't know whether that's down to the device or the maps.

What I ideally want is to have JUST something like city navigator in cities, but have GB discoverer in the countryside. I'm guessing I can't do exactly that, because city navigator can only be split up into massive areas, but is there any way to do anything approaching this...?

If they do show both at once, can't I give one a bottom layer of opaque white covering the whole land, so it effectively has a white rather than transparent background so effectively hides the other one...;D

« Reply #27 on: 27 August, 2012, 05:51:35 pm »
But do heed the warning not to have 2 UK OSM maps with contours on the machine at the same time, or it locks up solid.  Don't assume you can load two and just disable one - by then it is too late.  You'll never guess how I found this out.

--
Bryn

Euan Uzami

« Reply #28 on: 27 August, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »
so do they both try to show at once?
which one goes on top?
Is there any way to achieve just one in a city, and the other elsewhere?
etc

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #29 on: 27 August, 2012, 07:03:48 pm »
All Garmin maps have a "draw priority" set. Whichever map is highest, will be shown on top.
And the maps may be set as transparent or not. If the maps are not transparent, they will hide any maps beneath.

I don't there's any way of adjusting the draw priority or transparency on pre-made Garmin maps, either GB Discoverer or City Nav. Though you can adjust it if making your own OSM maps, eg using Mkgmap.

IME, GB Discoverer seems to have a high draw priority and not transparent, so if enabled it will show and obscure any other maps.
You probably could make some OSM maps with an even higher priority than GB Discoverer, so they will show on top of that. And you could just make the OSM maps cover a particular area, eg a city. Though this may cause problems with routing - if you have several routable maps enabled, I'm not sure which one the Etrex will use.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #30 on: 27 August, 2012, 10:50:19 pm »
hmm, excellent - cheers.