Author Topic: What's your Wetherspoons number?  (Read 17099 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
What's your Wetherspoons number?
« on: 05 September, 2017, 08:52:59 pm »
Similar to the Eddington number but it's simply the number* of Wetherspoons you have had a drink in.

I'll open the bidding with 104 - most recent one was the Richmal Crompton in Bromley.

*Spreadsheet for tracking available on request.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: What's your Wetherspoons number?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:19:32 pm »
Hmmm... would have said I've been in quite a few, though no idea as to actual number.  But probably not approaching 100!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:21:40 pm »
Only 3 or 4, but one was the original "Martin's"* in Muswell Hill,  which was my regular when I lived around there in 1982.  (

* as in Tim Martin, Wetherspoons' founder
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2017, 10:44:35 pm »
A fair few, now that they are also I  several airports, but certainly less than a hundred
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:02:18 pm »
What's a 'Wetherspoons'?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:08:52 pm »
Hold on! To be a proper Eddington-type number, it should be the number of Spoons you've been to, combined with the number of pints you've drank in each. Your W-number is the highest number in both.

So 1 Wetherspoons and 1 pint: W=1
2 W's and 2 pints in each:  W=2
5 different W's and 5 pints in each: W=5

100 different Spoons with a pint in each: W=1.

I think mine would be 3.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
2 I think.  Carmarthen and Newport.   Gastly places.

I've actually drunk beer in the Newport one.  Only breakfast and "coffee"  :sick: in Carmarthen.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:32:40 am »
What's a 'Wetherspoons'?

It's a thing you hang around in when you've got ages before a train.  Also a place where sleep-deprived cyclists in search of cheap and nasty fry-ups can exchange funny looks with the early morning drinkers.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2017, 01:48:11 am »
There's a takeaway/cafe round the corner from the shop for that . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:02:03 am »
I've been in a fair few over the years. My CAMRA vouchers help cheapen my visits. However, I was appalled to read the pro-Brexit content of the in-house magazine. Not just one article/editorial, but several throughout the rag.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #10 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:56:15 am »
Yeah, Tim Martin was a big funder of the leave campaign. Of course he then turned around and started whining about the difficulty of getting enough bar staff when we leave, the super-twat.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:00:48 am »
What's a 'Wetherspoons'?
A place for snuggling up to sheep. Oh no, that's a Whetherspoons.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
I think mine would be 3.

My memories of evenings spent in the Coronet on Holloway Rd in the late 90s are somewhat hazy but I suspect I'm into double figures.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:22:43 am »
In those terms, probably about 4-5, the Grimsby weatherspoons was quite good before all this Brexit nonsense

ian

« Reply #14 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:46:15 am »
I've survived the one in South Croydon (I confess I most use it for cheeky toilet breaks when I'm waiting at the bus stop opposite). Oh and Purley, where the vampires live (biggest population of vamps outside of Transylvania, true fact).

Back in the day when we bought our first house we lived for a while in the Brockley Barge (because we bought a house and neglected to buy one with a functional kitchen and were penniless oiks). I went to the one in Oxted the other week (because Southern and it's next to the train station) and that was filled with the renegade teenage population of the town and was about much fun as you'd expect from a pub full of teenagers on a Friday night.

But yeah, the owner is a twat, so I'm not especially keen to give him any of my money.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #15 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:51:15 am »
Hold on! To be a proper Eddington-type number, it should be the number of Spoons you've been to, combined with the number of pints you've drank in each. Your W-number is the highest number in both.

So 1 Wetherspoons and 1 pint: W=1
2 W's and 2 pints in each:  W=2
5 different W's and 5 pints in each: W=5

100 different Spoons with a pint in each: W=1.

I think mine would be 3.

On the Deano definition,  I reckon mine is 5 or 6.  I'd list the pubs in question, but for some reason my memory is hazy.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:56:29 pm »
Zero... My objection dates back to years before thefuckup referendum.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2017, 01:15:49 pm »
Wetherspoons have closed the two hostelries that hosted the monthly pre-meeting meals we had. One is now a Nando's and the other is a pub whose food is greasier and pricier than W's.
There is worse than W's  :sick:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:32:30 pm »

I've actually drunk beer in the Newport one.  Only breakfast and "coffee"  :sick: in Carmarthen.

I say sir, you judge too harshly!  :-*

There are surely some 'spoons which are great for donating blood - all over the carpet - but all the one's I've been in (and its a few!) have been fine establishments  :thumbsup:

I call 'spoons the Tesco of pubs.  What you get is of acceptable quality and proper value for money.  The food is fine and normally served quite quickly.  The beer is most often brilliant; someone told me once that 'spoon cellar training is highly rated in the pub industry and I have rarely had a duff pint.  There is normally lots of choice and you'll be charged about £2.50 for a pint of real ale, or 50p less if you have a CAMRA voucher.

Then there are the premises themselves.  Each has a carpet woven in a unique pattern.  Some 'spoons buildings are a bit hum drum but others are brilliant.  The best I've been to the Crosse Keys, Gracechurch Street, City of London; its used to be the HQ of the HSBC; its brilliant!

Oh and they have an app so you can order most things except guest ales from your table, pay with PayPal and a 'spoons person delivers it to your table - what's not to like?  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »

I call 'spoons the Tesco of pubs. 

... what's not to like?  ;D

You answer your own question before you ask it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:41:50 pm »
^^^ Cambridge used to be a Cinema, so is huuuuuge.  Aberdeen, not sure but it's one of those classic Union Street properties, narrow front and seems to go back half a mile and has three stories.

I have seen some other good re-uses of buildings as well.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #21 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »

I call 'spoons the Tesco of pubs. 

... what's not to like?  ;D

You answer your own question before you ask it.

Your problem Wow is you have standards  ;D  Standards lead to disappointment. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 06 September, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »
One in the Fishponds area of Bristol, the Vandyke Forum, used to be a cinema too. Regular meeting spot for Bristol CTC as their winter club nights happen just round the corner.

All the 'Spoons I've been in seem about as unlikely places for a fight as you'll ever get in the proximity of lots of alcohol. The food isn't particularly good but it's audax standard; stodgy, greasy, usually promptly served and decently priced. And they're good pubs for just a coffee or tea.

My Wetherspoon number would be 2 or possibly 3, maybe even 2.5, on Deano's defo and very unlikely to go higher.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 06 September, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »
^^^ Cambridge used to be a Cinema, so is huuuuuge.  Aberdeen, not sure but it's one of those classic Union Street properties, narrow front and seems to go back half a mile and has three stories.

I have seen some other good re-uses of buildings as well.

One of our local Spoons, the Thomas Ingoldsby in Canterbury, is a former carpet showroom, and it still feels like a carpet showroom in there. Terrible atmosphere. No wonder the clientele always look so depressed. I go past there on a Sunday lunchtime and marvel at the couples staring glumly at their desultory lunch and pint of Stella, avoiding all eye contact and conversation.

The Spoons that opened in Whitstable a couple of years ago is another former cinema, which is part of the reason they called it the Peter Cushing. The problem with having pubs in former cinemas is the high ceilings which are a nightmare for acoustics. The Cushing is opposite the bus stop so I sometimes go in there while waiting for a bus, but I don't like it because it's always so fecking noisy. Depending on how long I've got before the bus is due, I would rather walk down the road to the 12 Taps - the beer costs twice as much but it's worth every penny.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #24 on: 06 September, 2017, 03:44:32 pm »
There's one in an old cinema near here, one in a former church (with a flashing one-arm bandit nestled by the pulpit), and a vast student pub—The Imperial, if you know it—for which you need a map to avoid getting lost inside.  Others are tarted-up existing pubs. 

My experience of Wetherspoon food has been getting worse over the years to the point where I now avoid them.

Tim Martin lives near here.