Author Topic: Magazines in doctors waiting rooms  (Read 2522 times)

Magazines in doctors waiting rooms
« on: 06 October, 2017, 01:33:44 pm »
Yesterday I went to see my doctor. Whilst waiting to be called I scanned the magazine rack and "Archaeology Today" caught my eye. I pulled it out and checked the date. August 1984!
I know magazines in waiting rooms are always out of date (its traditional) but thirty three years out of date.... I don't think the current surgery was even built then. They must have brought magazines with them from the previous building.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

Re: Magazines in doctors waiting rooms
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
If you find the March 1985 issue of Fiesta, can I have it back?

Our surgery has a TV on the wall because that's what I need when I'm sick: adverts for the local funeral parlour.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:42:04 pm »
Yesterday I went to see my doctor. Whilst waiting to be called I scanned the magazine rack and "Archaeology Today" caught my eye. I pulled it out and checked the date. August 1984!

If it's still there on your next visit just add "Yester" between Archaeology and Today.  It's not the worst magazine of that age to have I suppose.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:43:31 pm »
It's the most appropriate!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:46:05 pm »
last time I was at the docs, I was reading a mag about Tractors while I was waiting.  Who knew that Ford imported tractors with a rare Scandinavia intended cab into Northern Ireland for one year because they didn't get the Scandinavian import license.

And who knew that people now restore said tractors to pristine condition.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:58:16 pm »
Personally I don't touch anything as it's guaranteed to be covered by disease. It's a genius idea to get all the sick people to go sit in the same room.

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2017, 07:23:47 am »
Am another 'don't touch anything'. What are mobiles for if not to avoid touching magazines in waiting rooms?
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:51:37 am »
Worst selection ever in mine.  Practical Caravan, The People's Friend* and one vacuous celeb magazine for chav mums.

*who reads it?  Ok, people in their 70s, but they were only 40 when my nan was buying it...how does this happen, the ageing of tastes?  When I'm 70 I'll still be reading Viz.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:42:04 am »
Every now and then I would have a clear out of the pile of Cycle magazine in my house.  I would surreptitiously leave piles of them in the doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:47:50 am »
Trying to pass on the cycling bug? Must confess I've thought of doing the same with the FFCT's rag.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2017, 10:27:42 am »
And when is was the last time you cleaned your mobile?

FTFY.

It was at 09:53.

I started at 12 seconds past the minute and it took 25 seconds.  Just in case someone else might have picked it up.  Anyway, I have to go now, keyboard to clean.

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:10:35 am »
The vector will see you now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:14:40 am »
MY wife's surgery was "inspected" by a patient advocate group, and one of their suggestions was that they should be taking out subscriptions for a "wide range" of magazines and that only current issues should be displayed.

Where the funding was coming from was unclear, and how to prevent them leaving with the patients was equally not addressed 

« Reply #13 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:17:19 am »
If you find the March 1985 issue of Fiesta, can I have it back?

We used to have a "practical joker" who used to slip pics naked women into the waiting room magazines!

Our surgery has a TV on the wall because that's what I need when I'm sick: adverts for the local funeral parlour.

My wife's surgery was at a University, and when it was rebuilt they had a new phone system

About 6 months later she saw one of the Classical Music lecturers who asked if they were aware it was a funeral march.... it was changed

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #14 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:32:09 am »
last time I was at the docs, I was reading a mag about Tractors while I was waiting.  Who knew that Ford imported tractors with a rare Scandinavia intended cab into Northern Ireland for one year because they didn't get the Scandinavian import license.

That's Norn Iron for you. My local grocery stocks seven different tractor magazines.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15 on: 08 October, 2017, 10:50:42 am »
I rather miss reading back issues of Punch.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #16 on: 08 October, 2017, 11:18:17 am »
Every now and then I would have a clear out of the pile of Cycle magazine in my house.  I would surreptitiously leave piles of them in the doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms.
I used to do this. On the following visit there would be no sign of the magazines I had left.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #17 on: 08 October, 2017, 12:37:29 pm »
Worst selection ever in mine.  Practical Caravan, The People's Friend* and one vacuous celeb magazine for chav mums.

*who reads it?  Ok, people in their 70s, but they were only 40 when my nan was buying it...how does this happen, the ageing of tastes?  When I'm 70 I'll still be reading Viz.

I'm convinced there's a secret rite of passage.

One day (quite soon, unfortunately), someone will come up to me, hand me a hat or flat cap and show me how to wear it in the car. They will turn to Mrs Ham, and pass her the Sainted People's Friend and teach her how to cackle. Amongst other stuff.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 08 October, 2017, 01:24:19 pm »
My GP surgery got rid of the magazines in the swine flu panic, or maybe the one before that and never put them back. I'm tempted to point out they should also get rid of all the door handles, chair arms, and everything else people touch.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #19 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:40:32 pm »

You should get out more ,Dave. Right on your doorstep.
http://www.cambstimes.co.uk/a-harley-davidson-vintage-tractors-an-old-anglia-tv-camera-were-just-some-of-the-goodies-at-a-vintage-auction-in-sutton-1-4740125

You know that some people never forget their first car? Well tractors have the same effect on some people.

Back on topic - my last visit to the dentist was brightened up by a fairly recent edition of Trail magazine.