Author Topic: The Great Storm - 30 years ago.  (Read 9027 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Great Storm - 30 years ago.
« on: 16 October, 2017, 09:49:44 am »
It was indeed 30 years ago today that we woke up to such devastation. Frightening stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

essexian

Re: The Great Storm - 30 years ago.
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:17:37 am »
I remember it well..... God, I am starting to sound like an old fart...

I was living in Forest Gate back then in a flat with a old, large tree outside. This creaked and groaned all night keeping me awake. So much so, I got up at 5am and headed to work. Walking to the main road to catch the bus was "fun" as stuff including bins were flying around in the wind.

Getting the 25 into the City was also very time consuming as the road was partly blocked in a number of places including near Bow and further down the Mile End Road (just beyond the Uni) where an advertising board had been blown down. If I remember correctly, I took nearly two hours to do what is around an 8 mile journey.

Then, when arriving at work where 7 000 people were expected, I was one of only 200 people who made it in/ could be bothered to try. Did we get a thank you for turning up or were we sent home early...... did we heck.

Thankfully, there was no damage to my property but I did see some houses with tiles missing and that type of thing.  Lets hope today isn't as bad: stay safe you all.

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:19:32 am »
The damage came from an interesting sequence of events. There had been a prolonged period of wet and mild weather in the South East. We lived in Harefield, near Uxbridge at the time, and we had no telephone, as the junction boxes were flooded.

The result was that trees were still in full leaf, and the sodden ground provided less support for the roots. We were away, instructing at a hedgelaying training course, followed by the national competition in Yorkshire. There were a lot of tree surgeons from the worst-hit areas of Kent and Sussex there, who lost out on work. We got home to find no electricity, and a Mulberry tree on our roof.

I was at college at Farnborough, doing a postgraduate course in Conservation Management, but I still managed to fit in some clearance work. A lot of that was extremely dangerous, especially large Beech, which had root-plated. I'd be interested to see the post-storm chainsaw accident lists.

We were at a reunion for a group which bought a wood in memory of a friend in early 1987 this weekend. That wood has an interesting structure now. It's on the Wealden clay near Tunbridge Wells, and the largest trees are Ash, with large areas of even-aged Birch and Alder, there's a notable absence of Oak and Beech, with some large Cherry still present.

The group was from the London Conservation Volunteers, who did weekend work parties. They had their heyday when Dutch Elm Disease was at its height, as there was a tremendous amount of work to be done. DED was a contributory factor in the 1987 damage, as it had left holes in the tree canopy, which promoted windblow.

This weekend I felled my first victims of Ash Dieback, so the cycle may repeat itself. I'm concerned that the response is a bit slow. Standing dead trees are hard to fell, as you can't influence the direction of fall. That caused deaths in the 70s and 80s with Elm. I foresee similar problems with Ash.

« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:24:54 am »
Some slates fell off the roof, the conifers came down, I spent the night with my next door neighbour as she was frightened as we had no electric.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2017, 10:58:09 am »
I spent most of it in a ditch hiding from Marines.

Happy days!

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:12:51 am »
Living in Norwich at the time, spent the first part of the night at work in the computer room (sub basement level) so didn't notice anything amiss. Walking home at about 3.30 I was blown off my feet a couple of times. Had to dodge some fairly substantial pieces of debris.

The next weekend I was doing a sculling head race on the Orwell near ipswich - the course was lined by the masts of sunken yachts.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:13:59 am »
My cousin had a house near Gatwick at the time.  His boss had "invited" himself to use my cousin's driveway to park his brand new Jag on while he went away on holiday.  he returned to find some of my cousin's roof tiles embedded in the roof of his new car. ;D

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

We were at a reunion for a group which bought a wood in memory of a friend in early 1987 this weekend. That wood has an interesting structure now. It's on the Wealden clay near Tunbridge Wells, and the largest trees are Ash, with large areas of even-aged Birch and Alder, there's a notable absence of Oak and Beech, with some large Cherry still present.

I remember driving home a week or so after the storm, and passing through (well around) TW, and then along Bunny Lane which is just to the south, where there were swathes of trees laid flat. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2017, 11:42:49 am »
Driving to work in the morning we passed an end-of-terrace that had lost the entire outer skin of its end wall, to add insult to injury the bricks had mainly landed on the owner's car.
The emergency generators at work were powering the clean room, photocopier, coffee machine and nothing else.
A work colleague had one of his trees come down slowly and rest on his roof, the contractors managed to lift it without any further damage, then dropped it straight on his neighbours car.
As ever, Southsea beach ended up on the seafront road, so did a number of beach huts and a few boats.

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
Currently sitting in my BiL's house in Limerick, and wondering if all the trees around it will still be there once *this* Great Storm has passed on.

Who knew that Ireland had a hurricane season?

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »

As ever, Southsea beach ended up on the seafront road, so did a number of beach huts and a few boats.

I lived in Southsea at the time, I was walking back from Basins in the early hours and was chased down an alleyway by part of a tree. After that I walked down to the front to see how big the waves were (quite big!)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2017, 01:46:17 pm »
I was living near Bury St Edmunds at the time.  I slept through the whole thing and was a bit annoyed when I got up at 5 to find that we'd had a power cut, but I could see that the whole village was out so thought nothing of it.  It was only a about 5.45, when I was a mile or so out of the village and found the road blocked by fallen trees that I realised anything had happened. 

As it turned out, both roads out of the village were blocked so I stayed at home that day. I think the power came back three or four days later. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »
There are sweet chestnut trees round here which are horizontal as a result of the 1987 storm but are still alive. The trunks now have branches which have turned into saplings, without their own root system but still dependent on the original tree.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:05:17 pm »
I woke up in the night to a window rattling, so shut it firmly then went back to sleep. Woke up as usual, switched on the radio as usual, & heard the Today programme talking about mass power cuts, etc. But the kettle was heating up as normal. The little grassy patch outside was covered in leaves & twigs, but otherwise all seemed normal.

So I carried on as normal. Washed, dressed, breakfast, set off for work - & as I walked round the first corner saw a tree across the road. It wasn't the only one I had to walk around to get to the office. There was one big old tree blocking the path across St Mary's churchyard, for example. It was there for days, but after a day or so a slice was cut out where the path ran. The roads were quiet, with not much traffic. Many of my colleagues didn't turn up that day. Some phoned in to say they couldn't make it. Others couldn't be contacted, due to dead phone lines.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:08:50 pm »
I remember it well.  Two fence panels came loose, and the news was full of stories of exciting extreme weather in distant places like Kent.

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »
I was in the RAF serving at Episkopi Garrison in Cyprus at the time of the storm. Very pleasant weather it was at the time too. :-D

ian

« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »
I don't remember it at all, so possibly it arranged to avoid the East Midlands. Many things do. Most of the twentieth century, for instance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
It wasn't any more than a stiff breeze in Birmingham.  I walked up to Five Ways and did some shopping at Tesco.  Enough to make your clothes flutter a bit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »
I remember waking up to one downed fence panel and the top half of the tree* at the corner of the col de sac had broken off, crossed the road and hit the roof of the house opposite. It then rolled down to land between their garage door and the car on the drive without scratching either.

I suspect we walked to school that day but the village trees were ok. Dad couldn't get to work on account of the main road out of the village being blocked in both directions. All the disruption was then repeated 4 years later in the '91 storm which took out another fence post.

* Some form of tall thin fur is the best description this then 6 year old can manage

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:19:18 pm »
Wasn't it mostly a London and SE England storm? I don't remember it but I do remember the storm of October 1989, which brought the church spire down as well as several very large trees in Victoria Park.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:17:29 pm »
It was confined to the South and South East, Cudzoziemiec.
I was living in Farnborough at the time. I'd had some bad news the evening before, which resulted in many beers.
That meant I slept through the whole thing, including the tree on the other side of the road coming down and blocking said road.
A few weeks later I was in Preston and found myself scrunching through dried leaves. Effectively we didn't get an autumn in the SE that year. All the leaves went overnight.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »
We had the high winds up in the North West, too. It just didn't make the news because, well... regions.

Travelling home from Altrincham to Nth Manchester around 1 am, I remember crossing Barton bridge on the (then) M63. Roadworks/widening and contraflow in full swing - 30 years on and nothing's changed - there was a Portakabin rolling down carriageway, end over end and a bloke struggling with a pole attatched to a great sheet of polythene which was trying to escape into the outside lane of the contraflow. I remember thinking it would be a good idea if he let go, the alternative looked like hang gliding about 100 feet above fuck all. Well, Urmston - but it's the same thing . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #22 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:41:29 pm »
I was out in it at four in the morning.
At the time, my partner and myself had a catering business and four in the morning was the time one of us would drive to our baker to collect our bread.
The bread had been baked. But the power had gone off before our baker had a chance to slice it. We sold mostly hand-cut door stops that day - but that was fine because a fair proportion of our clientele hadn't pitched up for work that day.
Driving? That was a laugh. It was mostly circumnavigating detritus of one sort or another that had been dumped in the road. It was like a war zone (not that I've ever been in one).
We were living on a council estate in Harrow at the time.
Several of the blocks suffered roof-loss.
Somewhere, I have a book of photographs (In the wake of the Hurricane) put together by a Kentish journalist who chartered a light aircraft the following day to record the devastation.
Sevenoaks no more.
Just one oak left.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:01:35 pm »
I was in Oxfordshire at the time, dad stationed at Brize Norton.  Don't remember it being at all spectacular that far away from civilisation, just remember Ian McAskill on TV and the coverage of One-Oak.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #24 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »
I don't remember it at all, so possibly it arranged to avoid the East Midlands. Many things do. Most of the twentieth century, for instance.
Well it managed to cause a bit of damage in Northants, but not a huge amount that I remember.  Parents' garden still has a couple of fruit trees (a pear & an apple) that are between 35 & 45 deg. off vertical as a consequence. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου