Author Topic: Worst Cover Versions Ever  (Read 12096 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Worst Cover Versions Ever
« Reply #50 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:37:37 am »
Pseudo Echo's version of "Funky Town".  Awful.

You watched ToTP 1987 on Friday, didn't you?

I don't remember Pseudo Echo. First thought on hearing that was that it didn't sound much different from the original, but then they whacked in a stupid guitar solo.

Trivia question: is Funky Town the only song that has been a one-hit wonder for two entirely different acts?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 16 April, 2019, 12:55:35 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg has recently completed a three year stint of Stuffs-sitting for a mate who DJ's at the Windmill, a live music pub in Brixton.  "You can get rid of those three large boxes of CDs in any way you see fit" he said.  I had a rootle through the boxes on Sunday.  Lots of unexpected country and...

...a promo copy of William Shatner's version of "Common People" :o  I'm just glad, Tim, that you didn't actually have to pay for it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 16 April, 2019, 01:07:02 pm »
DIBS !!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 16 April, 2019, 01:11:57 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg has recently completed a three year stint of Stuffs-sitting for a mate who DJ's at the Windmill, a live music pub in Brixton.  "You can get rid of those three large boxes of CDs in any way you see fit" he said.  I had a rootle through the boxes on Sunday.  Lots of unexpected country and...

...a promo copy of William Shatner's version of "Common People" :o  I'm just glad, Tim, that you didn't actually have to pay for it.

That track works if there's a good enough video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3UfxyIdgs

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #54 on: 16 April, 2019, 05:45:53 pm »

Unlike me. (I actually quite like it, for all its awfulness.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #55 on: 16 April, 2019, 05:54:01 pm »
William... Shatner's spoken word... delivery... actually... works quite well... on Common People. :demon:

And he manages to be even more contemptuous of the class/poverty tourist than Jarvis Cocker (who, being a Star Trek fan, was quite approving of Shatner covering his song).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Sniper68

• It'll be Reyt
« Reply #56 on: 16 April, 2019, 07:29:40 pm »
Just about everything UB40 have ever done.
Horrible whiney voice over pretend Reggae :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #57 on: 16 April, 2019, 08:11:54 pm »
Just about everything UB40 have ever done.
Horrible whiney voice over pretend Reggae :facepalm:

Their version of I Got You Babe was the first version I was familiar with and being young and impressionable at the time, I quite liked it. I only discovered the original and realised how bad UB40’s version is somewhat later.

Their version of Red Red Wine is even worse, of course, but I’m not much of a fan of the original version of that either.

« Reply #58 on: 17 April, 2019, 04:04:55 pm »
Apparently UB40 didn't even know it was a Neil Diamond song.

« Reply #59 on: 17 April, 2019, 04:27:50 pm »
.. William Shatner's version of "Common People" ...

Someone gave me a (probably illegal) copy of this. Probably so I could gape at its awfulness or something. That didn't work as I'd never heard it before. I rather liked it, so I went out and bought the original Pulp album, which I really like.

« Reply #60 on: 22 April, 2019, 04:59:38 pm »
Annie Lennox covering 'Whiter shade of Pale'.

Insipid, pointless singing. Like listening to your aged uncle play 'Rock classics' on his keyboard.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Redlight

« Reply #61 on: 26 April, 2019, 06:36:37 pm »
This popped up on a compilation album I wast listening to in the car today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMT_fyy22Bg

I love Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue raincoat, and her voice generally, but this cover is unspeakably awful.

« Reply #62 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:39:46 pm »
Second Band Aid single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:39:38 pm »

Insipid, pointless singing. Like listening to your aged uncle play 'Rock classics' on his keyboard.
Phew, I'm glad someone else has sid this - I was always scared to criticise Saint Annie.

Fortunately it doesn't get onto the radio very often, but when it does ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #64 on: 27 April, 2019, 01:06:56 pm »
In Half Man Half Biscuit's "Paintball's Coming Home" the target of their scorn has having "nothing but total respect for Annie Lennox" listed among their many crimes.

Redlight

« Reply #65 on: 27 April, 2019, 05:08:35 pm »

Phew, I'm glad someone else has sid this - I was always scared to criticise Saint Annie.

Fortunately it doesn't get onto the radio very often, but when it does ...

Count me in too.  I thought her first solo album was garbage and the second, from which that song is taken, like being held prisoner in a very bad karaoke club.  I know she does a lot of good work for charidee but, aside from a couple of songs with her ex, I've never been taken with her singing.

citoyen

« Reply #66 on: 27 April, 2019, 10:58:43 pm »
I still clearly remember listening to the HMHB Peel session when they debuted a bunch of new, unheard songs. One of which opened with the line “Quick, run, hide, here comes Dave Stewart...” which made me chortle muchly.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2019, 10:43:05 am »
I still clearly remember listening to the HMHB Peel session when they debuted a bunch of new, unheard songs. One of which opened with the line “Quick, run, hide, here comes Dave Stewart...” which made me chortle muchly.
While we're dis(cus)sing the sainted Annie, an old mate of mine who used to sound engineer for the the Tourists said it was a pain in the arse trying to sort out the sound for her because her voice was so quiet. I guess she had a bit of vocal coaching later.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2019, 01:10:01 pm »

"Mars Ultras, You'll Never Make The Station", never did get an official release.  Peelie, bless his hairy whiskers, commented that he could sympathise having once been taken to task by Mr Stewart for failing to play enough records by The Tourists.  Who he didn't rate.  On the other hand, Dave Stewart discovered the very fabulous Joanne Shaw Taylor, so he can't be all bad.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #69 on: 06 May, 2019, 06:50:22 pm »
Michael Ball's (no doubt more famous) version of "If Everyone Was Listening".  Boring instrumentation, no dynamism and loses the pathos of the original.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.