Author Topic: Borders 400 - 13th July Ponteland (near NewCAStle!)  (Read 1293 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Borders 400 - 13th July Ponteland (near NewCAStle!)
« on: 29 December, 2018, 03:18:40 pm »
Annan Other Borders Circuit
407km cycling event starting from Ponteland. Controls at Kielder, Longtown, Annan, Peebles, Kirknewton and Alnwick, plus 1 information control.

A relatively easy and very scenic route on good, mainly quiet roads. The evening/night sections have relatively easy navigation. Overnight control at Kirknewton Village Hall if needed.
Anyone riding this? Come on, it's less than 7 months away!

It looks like a tweak of the Hot Trod route (same club, different organiser?), but I can't quite tell how much of a tweak ... Seems to be less climbing overall, but adds the Devil's Beef Tub*.

Although I've ridden a leeeeetle in the area, I'm pretty clueless of the local geography; this may be a good chance to rectify that, without taking on an absurdly hard ride (and July is SOMETIMES nice weather).

*I feel this should be spoken in a deep echoey voice, preferably with a church organ backing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Borders 400 - 13th July Ponteland (near NewCAStle!)
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:55:27 pm »
I'm tempted, I rode the Hot Trod this year and despite the rain enjoyed the scenery.  This looks more than just a tweak, although a similar area it doesn't look like many of the roads will be the same.  Hot Trod wasn't particularly hilly, most of the climbing was on steady gradients, it included the Devils Beef Tub - at least I was told it did, couldn't actually see anything for the rain...

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:32:48 pm »
Looks really different to (and a lot flatter than) the Hot Trod to me. I definitely went up the Beeftub on the Hot Trod!

Not sure if I can do it yet (it's probably this OR the Border Raid - not both), but Andy's events are good.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2019, 11:21:45 am »
Am doing the 600 the following weekend, but have fond memories of the Southern Uplands from LEL - the hills tend to be long but sensibly graded, which suits me perfectly.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)