Author Topic: Have you been out with your camera today?  (Read 248035 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Have you been out with your camera today?
« Reply #625 on: 10 March, 2014, 11:50:54 pm »
There is a hole at the other end through which you can gain access.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #626 on: 11 March, 2014, 08:16:32 am »
Hodge Close:  the hole I was looking out of is top left-of-centre here (you can just make out the rusty rails above the water):

You get there either by fixing a rope and abseiling down the quarry wall, or by walking a couple of hundred yards north and descending into the neighbouring quarry, Parrock, on an easy path then along the quarry bottom to the mouth of the 'ole.  Guess which one I did  :)

Cathedral Cavern's even easier.  A quick pint in the Three Shires Inn, then over Slaters Bridge, turn left and right, and climb *up* to the entrance, you can't miss it...

« Reply #627 on: 11 March, 2014, 10:30:36 am »
Last time I was at Cathedral Cavern I was hanging upside down, with my back against the cliff face, at the top of the absail having left my feet behind when going over the edge. Seeing as how I was only wearing a waist harness and not the additional shoulder harness I was a little unsure what would happen next.  :o

The supervisor just looked down at me and told me to get my self sorted out as he really didn't want to lower me head first down 100' on the safety line.

Fortunately as I had been taking everyone elses photos no one was behind my camera to get any evidence of me looking stupid.  8)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #628 on: 13 March, 2014, 06:16:44 pm »
Eek!

Also eek: accidentally reversing the controls on your drone so instead of flying towards you, it buggers off over Dartmoor. Worked it out in the end, but not before I got a good fright and a great raven's eye view of the tor:

(South Hessary Tor, notable only because it's one pristine bridlepath mile from the Plume of Feathers in Princetown; access is super easy for a lurgy constitutional stroll)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #629 on: 13 March, 2014, 07:54:44 pm »
Not really out, more in, and more of handing the camera over to skynet[1]

Not the most inspiring video
http://youtu.be/oCrqqYpdHQI
And this is how it was made..
http://youtu.be/CC2RxeiVGTA

[1]a very small part powered by an arduino.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #630 on: 13 March, 2014, 08:53:11 pm »
interesting.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #631 on: 13 March, 2014, 10:08:31 pm »
Well, I am sort of tempted to build an ultrasonic detector based Automatic Photo Booth. Could be quite amusing for graduation

« Reply #632 on: 14 March, 2014, 07:02:28 am »
Eek!

Also eek: accidentally reversing the controls on your drone so instead of flying towards you, it buggers off over Dartmoor. Worked it out in the end, but not before I got a good fright and a great raven's eye view of the tor:

(South Hessary Tor, notable only because it's one pristine bridlepath mile from the Plume of Feathers in Princetown; access is super easy for a lurgy constitutional stroll)

Good stuff Andy.  Any vids?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #633 on: 14 March, 2014, 09:15:45 am »
Vids are full of vibration distortion until I do some fettling: new props and bearings this weekend.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #634 on: 14 March, 2014, 10:58:49 am »
Prop balancing seems to be one of the dark arts of quad filming. My props are so out I'd end up with stumps, I fear!
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #635 on: 14 March, 2014, 09:30:48 pm »
Just fitted some new props, which arrived warped and off-balance (as expected, yay forums).  Straightened by clamping to a flat and applying hairdryer; balanced by putting each one on an axle between two glasses, and adding bits of electrical tape to the underside until both sides weigh the same.  I ain't shaving bits off anything!

New bearings too - and the old ones were super loose and flabby, so that'll do even more.  In secondhand bike terms, that's sorting the hubs, truing the wheels and putting new tyres on.  :thumbsup:

Afasoas

« Reply #636 on: 15 March, 2014, 03:52:48 pm »
Cannock Chase again today.
Even a couple of cycling photees.

Sheep. Rather cute ones too.

"Where we're going, we don't need roads"

Forest Road

Follow The Dog Trail

Brown Shorts

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #637 on: 16 March, 2014, 06:21:53 pm »
Is that an airbag?  What he needs is tiny propellers...  :thumbsup:

Did a test flight this morning and the jello is (mostly) gone! Yay (and phew).  Here 'tis: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/andygates/13196760195/in/photostream/

Jello remains where the quad labours while pitched forward (in gusts, mostly), but I can live with that.  Also, the Mobius shows stripy banding when facing into the sun (that I assume is just glare and could be shaded with a bit of dark bodgum like an SLR's truncated cone of shame?).  Overall, very happy, now off to find things worth filming on float days. :)

billplumtree

« Reply #638 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:55:45 am »
Morecambe, yesterday:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #639 on: 20 March, 2014, 10:45:32 am »
Just took the toughened Panny yesterday, hardly stopped apart from lunch.  One decent shot, crossing Rhine-Marne canal:

I've put the detail of that mural in the background on here:

http://www.pbase.com/johnewing/image/154902854
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #640 on: 25 March, 2014, 09:24:56 pm »
The camera has been out for a week but it came back today - the camera fell off my treed drone and since SD-cards are indestructible*, here's a frame-grab from , pretending that I want to be a squirrel, not an incompetent pilot:

* Did we ever test swallowing one?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #641 on: 25 March, 2014, 11:02:32 pm »
Been out making photos of school age students who've been on a program to learn how to set up social enterprises.  We did some Dragons' Den type shots and they really got into it.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

« Reply #642 on: 29 March, 2014, 11:45:33 pm »
Been playing with the time-lapse on the D610. Really good for documenting students in action.

http://youtu.be/TrCqAzrKRjg - note how engaged they are - they even interrupt their face booking to participate.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #643 on: 02 April, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »
Return of the garden:

Alas, the bloody grass is growing as well.

billplumtree

« Reply #644 on: 04 April, 2014, 09:23:59 pm »
Sheep. Rather cute ones too.

Rather cute?  They're herdwicks, and they're bloody gorgeous! 

billplumtree

« Reply #645 on: 04 April, 2014, 09:27:02 pm »
Came across this rather splendid shed:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #646 on: 05 April, 2014, 09:23:08 pm »
That's brilliant.  It looks like it should feel.

Now a question: I took my drone out for a constitutional flight, and while I was doing laps of the park a little girl came up and stared and said "please, can I have a go?" so [rapid risk assessment] I gave it some height and let her play.  She had a faceplant scab on her nose as well, and was clearly the Forthright and Adventurous Twin - the other twin hung back and said nothing.  I like Forthright and Adventurous kids, and the control scheme is easy: mash the screen and tilt the tablet.  I took a framegrab from the nose camera; the photo's cute enough, but I think everyone is reacting to it way in excess of its quality.  I think it's just a "we know Shrek Gates, therefore this is adorable."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #647 on: 06 April, 2014, 05:23:06 pm »
Adorable indeed.  Curious children should be given a chance to be curious and if they seem good sorts, trusted with all kinds of stuff.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #648 on: 06 April, 2014, 09:39:04 pm »
Got my first good dose of sunburn today, seven hours' worth. Wonderful ride. Took the RX100 along:

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #649 on: 09 April, 2014, 11:54:14 am »
For once...  yes!  (yesterday)

I shot 8 sheets of 5x4 film, 2 sheets per 'picture', at once doubling my total for the whole of 2013.
In amongst the mud on the shoreline of the Fal estuary creeks.  (N of Trelissick)

Reflections were quite bright, so i think I'll pick up some pyrocat type dev (Tanol maybe) and do one sheet for each view in this to rescue the highlights as well as the usual DDX or D76. This may be extraneous detail on a cycling forum  :facepalm:

No images to post just yet...