Author Topic: [LEL17] Control times  (Read 3781 times)

LMT

[LEL17] Control times
« on: 11 December, 2016, 11:45:10 pm »
If by chance you get to the control early, would you be expected to hang around for the control to officially open or could you get your card stamped and be on your way?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Control times
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2016, 11:53:07 pm »
Almost always, the former.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:29:31 am »
You might get fed, then get your card back at official opening time...[when I 'won' an Audax once, exactly that - having also helped the controller unload food and water for the bus shelter banana-fest].

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:46:42 am »
It's at your own risk. The controls will be open at the opening time. If you arrive early, and the IT isn't yet setup or staffed, you'll probably have to wait. And I'd take a dim view of riders imposing themselves to get an early stamp.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2016, 09:48:53 am »
In 2009 (at alwyn's control) I remember quite a few riders got there early, having been blown up the course by a stonking tailwind, and got held up until opening time.

LMT

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2016, 12:11:32 pm »
Many thanks for the replies, both official and anecdotal. :)

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2017, 06:33:20 pm »
sorry if this is obvious, but I wondered where the opening/closing times are for the controls

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »
They'll be on your brevet card.

If you want to work them out beforehand, opening time can be calculated by (distance from start)/30km/h, and closing time by dividing by 12.3.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2017, 07:43:29 pm »
Or 2 to 4.87 minutes per km...

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:25:46 am »
How does the control time work ? Is it 15 kmph for first 600 and then decreases or is it constantly 12 kmph for 116 hours rider ?
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:35:54 am »
In the past it's always been constant ~12kph, I can't think why it would change this year. Just remember (as mentioned above several times) that it's slightly more than 12kph as that doesn't account for the ride being slightly over-distance.

AIUI the '~15kph to 600km control and then relaxed after that' is an ACP thing (which is why it happens on PBP), but rides over 1200km are validated by LRM [Les Randonneurs Mondiaux] and they don't require rides to do this, so LEL can be run with all control times based on the minimum average speed.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:31:50 pm »
How does the control time work ? Is it 15 kmph for first 600 and then decreases or is it constantly 12 kmph for 116 hours rider ?

it will be 12.3 kph all the way (at least for the 116:40 hours starting group), but the organisers have repeatedly pointed out that they will be very relaxed about intermediate control times and won't disqualify anyone out of time who has a reasonable chance of finishing. (see here for instance:  "Don’t worry if you’re out of time at intermediate controls if you’re confident you can make up the time later."https://londonedinburghlondon.com/2015/09/whats-the-best-time-to-start/) Only real problem can arise for slow riders at the very end of the field on the way back - at some point, the controls will physically close any you may not be able to get your brevet card stamped.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:55:19 pm »
Redfalo has it spot on.

Technically, you have a 12kph minimum speed to get to intermediate controls, but the time limit is based on riding 1400km distance at that speed. You get no extra time for the extra 33km of LEL route. This would mean that the closing time between Great Easton and Loughton would be under two hours, potentially lulling slower riders into a trap.

So we assume a minimum speed of about 12.3kph between controls, meaning earlier closing times. But don't worry if you're a bit late or if you think you've a fighting chance of getting back in time, it will be fine.