Author Topic: Mirrorless camera  (Read 4478 times)

Mirrorless camera
« on: 13 July, 2017, 10:47:57 am »
Hi

We have an Olympus E500 with the two kit lenses and its served us well for 10 years but its heavy and bulky and its time for something new.
I also had a Fuji compact camera that I liked but its dying now.

A new camera will have to have a viewfinder as I hate shooting with an LCD as does Mrs Pcolbeck.

I was thinking of an Olympus OM-D E-M10 II but does anyone have any other suggestions in the same price bracket. I would love a Pen F but they are too spendy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Mirrorless camera
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
You could also look at the Fuji XT10

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2017, 11:30:22 am »
You could also look at the Fuji XT10

XT10 is no more and the XT-20 is £800 body only ! Looks ace though :(

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2017, 11:31:20 am »
I'd look at the Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras as well. Lumix G7 or G80 would be good. I think they're a nice size, with a decent viewfinder.
There's currently some cashback offers available.

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2017, 11:37:22 am »
also a big fan of the panasonic micro 4/3 cameras, I find their menus and buttons easier to use and more intuitive than olympus.

« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2017, 10:20:35 am »
I’m another fan of Panasonic M 4/3, started with the GX1 and now have a GX80 and a GM1.  For me it’s the ideal compromise between quality, size, weight and price.  It also has the advantage of two manufacturers and lenses interchangeable between them. 
The GX80 has more features than I’ll ever use and plenty I do - tilt screen, viewfinder, Wi-Fi, touch screen and plenty of physical controls.  The GM1 is half the size and weight, the smallest M4/3 made, has the same sensor without a lot of the features.
More than ever the bodies are being seen as consumable, prices drop considerably a few months after release and off the cliff as soon as a new model is rumoured.   But lenses are more of an investment and hold their prices.   After swapping around a bit, I’ve settled on three nice lenses and another on the wish list, in future changing bodies will be no big deal, but changing systems would be expensive.   
Not mentioned yet are the Sony systems, I know a couple of people who like theirs, larger sensor and therefore larger lenses, I almost went that way before going M 4/3.
A new camera will have to have a viewfinder as I hate shooting with an LCD as does Mrs Pcolbeck.
Try before you buy, I like the GX80 viewfinder but I know some don't, it isn't close to SLR. 

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2017, 04:27:28 pm »
I've had a couple of different panasonics in the past, but I couldn't get on with the GX8's offset viewfinder. If you are only ever shooting things that don't move that quick you may be ok with it, but I frequently saw something I wanted to photo, raised the camera to my eye in the position I thought it should be and could just see background, and had to move it a bit to the right to get the subject in frame.
I had a G7 before that, on retrospect I actually liked that better.
My brother and sister both have GM1s and they love them.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »
I own, and am a big fan of the G80. If you want somthing less spendy, you don't lose too much with the G7

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:18:09 am »
FWIW, I have and love an OM-D M10, and an E520  or two. Very much an m4/3 fan, there don't appear to be any bad options out there, go with preference rather than recommendation.

Couple of things, though.

Yes, your E-Series 4/3 lenses will fit. No, you won't want to use them.

I use the OMD with a 17mm lens on it 90% of the time, it is a truly liberating experience, nearest thing to using a Leica. Oh, except when you need a telephoto, but you can't have everything.

Screen articulation is a feature you should  definitely add to the wish list. Much more significant with m4/3 against trad SLR like the E-Series. I use as  a waist level a good proportion of the time, also for overhead shots in crowds.

Equally an EVF such as in the OMD is truly valuable with a mirrorless system.

Putting a 600mm OM lens with a 2x converter and adapter on an OM-D body is quite funny.

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2017, 07:32:15 am »
Bah, went to PC-World and Dixons on Saturday to have a fiddle with cameras and all the ones I was interested in had flat batteries so I couldn't check out the EVFs.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2017, 10:53:23 pm »
I like the Panasonics having moved from an Olympus E620 DSLR a couple of years ago - but if you're attracted to the E-M10 II I wouldn't hesitate, it's a lovely little package.

Having moved across to Panny I would say -
Oly has the class-leading IBIS, and the Oly brand identity
Panny has everything else

The IBIS is worth a great deal though, I think OLy will always be the leaders here and that means a lot.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2017, 12:04:16 am »
Most of the newer Panasonic cameras have IBIS. eg the G80, GX8, GH5 do.
Apparently it can be pretty good, especially if combined with the lens stabilisation for Dual IS.

« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2017, 07:35:48 am »
I love my X Pro-2.  The viewfinder is lovely but, far more importantly, the pictures straight out of the camera are stunning.  I have the 23/1.4 pretty much permenantly attached and find myself using the acros film simulation a lot.  Having the ability to knock the background right of focus with lovely bokeh combined with  that crisp, contrasts black and white means even everyday shots look fantastic.

« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2017, 01:46:20 pm »
I'd love one but they are far too expensive for my requirements.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2017, 02:16:03 am »
I've just got a Lumix GX800. It is rather small, with the little 12-32mm lens, a proper pocket camera.
The wifi is good, means can use my phone as a remote control, and adjust all of the settings etc. Also 4K photo mode looks useful. USB charging is rather handy.
No viewfinder, but a nice tilty screen. And a lot of features can be controlled with the touchscreen.

Also got the Panasonic 25mm F1.7 lens - cheaper when bought with the camera. Its fairly small and light, nice for a bit of bokeh.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »
That 12-32 is much improved IMHO by fitting an auto-opening lens cap such as
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Automatic-Panasonic-F3-5-5-6-H-FS12032/dp/B00JPVQMDE/ref=sr_1_5
(also available in black)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:32:32 pm »
That 12-32 is much improved IMHO by fitting an auto-opening lens cap such as
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Automatic-Panasonic-F3-5-5-6-H-FS12032/dp/B00JPVQMDE/ref=sr_1_5
(also available in black)

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:00:23 pm »
Last weekend we found a Jessops that had all the cameras with charged batteries. The Olympus EVF was much better than the Panasonic ones (didn't try the G8 as it was far too big and heavy for travel/walking camera purposes). Just ordered an OMD EM10 II twin lens kit from Wex as Jessops sneakily sell the camera with the non pancake 12-42 lens in their kits unless you pay £50 extra.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »
Good choice.  Hope you enjoy it.
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »
Good choice, I probably prefer the Oly EVF having tried in in a shop, but for me the Panny controls make up for it.
Jessops sneakily sell the camera with the non pancake 12-42 lens in their kits unless you pay £50 extra.
Website says they will price match...

« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2017, 05:40:20 pm »
Good choice, I probably prefer the Oly EVF having tried in in a shop, but for me the Panny controls make up for it.
Jessops sneakily sell the camera with the non pancake 12-42 lens in their kits unless you pay £50 extra.
Website says they will price match...

I know but they had pi**ed me off with their silly trick of not specifying the lens models on their site. It was in the shop I noticed. Wex are much more upfront and why bother to go through the rigmarole of getting Jessops to price match when I can just click on the right kit on Wex's site.

« Reply #21 on: 11 August, 2017, 12:27:07 pm »
It arrived this morning. I like the all black finish, looks like a baby OM. Shot a couple of photos on full auto and blimey it focuses quickly.
Will have to have a play but its going to be much more convenient for our hols etc than the E500.

« Reply #22 on: 11 August, 2017, 05:27:29 pm »
Now I'm seriously tempted*. Hope you enjoy it.  :thumbsup:

*Still have an OM1 and and OM2 somewhere..
What's this bottom line for anyway?