Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813398 times)

Elleigh

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1225 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:52:58 am »
Just a few sunny laps late yesterday afternoon.  Lovely on the way out, but into a headwind on the way back.

alchemy

« Reply #1226 on: 11 August, 2008, 09:07:53 am »
I wanted to test ride my bike after re-building it so I rode over to my mums. I rode into a summer-like howling easterly all the way over there, but at least it was (mostly) a tailwind on the way home.

And nothing broke  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1227 on: 11 August, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
Yesterday, oh yes! Just a couple of minor hills ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1228 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:23:57 pm »
Took a spin down the Wandle Trail with Superstoker to go shopping.  Not far, but an important ride :)
Getting there...

« Reply #1229 on: 11 August, 2008, 07:41:51 pm »
yup, intervals - I feel sick and my legs hurt, I think that means it was a good session.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1230 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »
Finally got out on a mountain bike. First time in ages. Plus not feeling so good so what better option to take than my single speed with a rigid fork and summer tyres. That should make life easier. Out to Slindon Bottom and then up, up and more up. Bit of down, some more up a bit of road and more up (you get the picture). Out to the top of Bignor and what a view, the downs, the sea and the bits in between. Even better at the top of the Roman road. I could see right along the downs, Cissbury, Chanctonbury and beyond to Devils Dyke and Ditchling. This ride is mostly single tracky/fire road stuff so nothing too technical. Struggled on some of the climbs with wheel spin, on a single getting out of the saddle is not uncommon. And the scene across Slindon Forest to the sea is always a treat.....good stuff. Some more up and downy stuff and then some messing about in the woods near Whiteways (top of Bury Hill). Down again and some more techy stuff (including a smart drop off but I forgot the roots at the bottom so rattled my teeth a bit). Climb up the back of Bignor and through the woods to the top of the original climb for a zippy descent. Glad I did it, all good fun.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Pete

« Reply #1231 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:27:06 am »
Out to Slindon Bottom and then up, up and more up. Bit of down, some more up a bit of road and more up (you get the picture). Out to the top of Bignor and what a view, the downs, the sea and the bits in between. Even better at the top of the Roman road. I could see right along the downs, Cissbury, Chanctonbury and beyond to Devils Dyke and Ditchling.
I often walk in that area!

...and then some messing about in the woods near Whiteways (top of Bury Hill).....
Did you get as far as the big Whiteways car park?  (Best avoided I think, one or two motorbikes are fine, but hundreds of them...).

I did my 'eastern' loop on Sunday, very modest 35, taking in Barcombe, Ringmer, Bentley, Isfield, Piltdown, and Fletching.  But at least it's a ride.

« Reply #1232 on: 12 August, 2008, 02:13:04 pm »
Popped home to collect lunch.

15.18 miles.  Very strong head/sidewind.  Just managed it in the hour in heavier traffic than expected.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1233 on: 12 August, 2008, 02:14:50 pm »

15.18 miles.  Very strong head/sidewind.  Just managed it in the hour in heavier traffic than expected.

You could have given us a ring and come round for some of ours, Nutty. 3 mile round trip I reckon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1234 on: 12 August, 2008, 05:31:13 pm »

[/quote]Did you get as far as the big Whiteways car park?  (Best avoided I think, one or two motorbikes are fine, but hundreds of them...).

I did my 'eastern' loop on Sunday, very modest 35, taking in Barcombe, Ringmer, Bentley, Isfield, Piltdown, and Fletching.  But at least it's a ride.
[/quote]

I tend to leave the carpark to the noisy ones......

annie

« Reply #1235 on: 12 August, 2008, 06:04:59 pm »
No as being mum but did manage two heavy sessions on the turbo trainer and some weights thrown in for good measure.

« Reply #1236 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »

You could have given us a ring and come round for some of ours, Nutty. 3 mile round trip I reckon.

Thank you.  But I had some fabulous sarnies etc that I'd made, and left, at home  ::-) :-[

« Reply #1237 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:14:25 pm »
I did a quick (for me) 30 miles this afternoon, from Aldershot up the A323 and back. It's the first time I've done an out-and-back route, it seems a bit like cheating but I haven't ridden in that direction much since I've lived here and I wanted to ride some new roads without spending very long planning a route. It was good fun except for one numpty driver who passed with millimeters to spare, and will be good practice for the FNRTTC in a few days!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1238 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:28:48 pm »
No as being mum but did manage two heavy sessions on the turbo trainer and some weights thrown in for good measure.

You're rock-'ard, you are. Next time you send me to the naughty step, I'll stay there. O:-)

For me, a few brief errands, one of which involved a trip to a pub to meet a young lady whose "court case" comes up next week. Her father was killed in January last year by a driver with defective brakes (failed MOT) but he's only being done for careless driving. We were helping her to write a press release / statement expressing her disgust at the lenient sentence we are expecting the killer to get.

What I didn't know was that in a case of Careless Driving, the jury are not told that the careless driving concerned resulted in the death of an innocent party, in this case a pedestrian, her father.

« Reply #1239 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:32:54 pm »
...in a case of Careless Driving, the jury are not told that the careless driving concerned resulted in the death of an innocent party

Really?  :o

So what information about the incident do they have before them then?

Yes, I am just out of the shower after an extended pootle back from the gym. Rarely for me, I timed the ride to Camden to perfection, enjoying bright sunshine until I was a few yards from my destination at which point there was a storm. Emerge from gym, rain all stopped, lovely ride home via Hyde Park  :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1240 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:36:07 pm »
Dunno - presumably the fact that his vehicle failed an MOT in one garage, he went to another to get the brakes sorted, the first garage said "OK, we can see you've had the work done" and the fact that the brake pipes concerned were for the wrong sort of VW, and let air into the system, didn't concern them.

annie

« Reply #1241 on: 13 August, 2008, 08:56:47 pm »

You're rock-'ard, you are. Next time you send me to the naughty step, I'll stay there. O:-)

For me, a few brief errands, one of which involved a trip to a pub to meet a young lady whose "court case" comes up next week. Her father was killed in January last year by a driver with defective brakes (failed MOT) but he's only being done for careless driving. We were helping her to write a press release / statement expressing her disgust at the lenient sentence we are expecting the killer to get.

What I didn't know was that in a case of Careless Driving, the jury are not told that the careless driving concerned resulted in the death of an innocent party, in this case a pedestrian, her father.

I don't remember saying you could move in the first place :demon:

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1242 on: 15 August, 2008, 02:52:02 pm »
Out in the sun ,the first time en velo for 12 days ,for some reason I seem to have lost motivation .I rode the 2 miles or so over to Broughton from Gargrave with the idea of heading in an upwards direction at Elslack(I kid you not)However plans changed when a bloke on a Lemond went along the main road I was turning into .Traffic meant that he was 100 yds up the road before I turned in and so the chase began I eventually caught him and wheel sucked for about a mile by which time he must have had enough of me as he honked up a small hill and I couldnt be arsed giving chase .I took a left at Earby with the intention of riding on to the tops by way of a hill I had seen from afar .It was a brute but I managed to get up without resorting to walking .I then decided to follow the rode to Lothersdale the roads around hear are all undulating and I was suddenly overwhelmed by a feeling of Im not enjoying this ,so I decided to take a short cut to Carleton but ended up getting lost and arrived in Crosshills .From thereon all was straight forward and when I eventually got back to work I felt  better for the ride but somehow something was lacking  ???Whats up I dont know Ive been craving a nice warm sunny day .About 25 miles I reckon .

« Reply #1243 on: 15 August, 2008, 03:15:23 pm »
Just cycled home early for the FNRttC so I can get some kip in, and was enjoying empty roads.

I signalled right on Lambeth Bridge and WVM let me over, gave him thumbs-up.

The lights went red and he sat behind me and called out 'Only because you've got a nice bottom!'  ;D :o

« Reply #1244 on: 15 August, 2008, 04:17:46 pm »
I get that all the time..... 8)

« Reply #1245 on: 15 August, 2008, 05:27:07 pm »
Only a few miles today, five or six down to Bikeplus to get some fettling kit, and Sainsburys to stock up on munchies and cat munchies for he who must be fed.  No more until 11pm when I'll get in another 12 miles or so to the start of the FNRttC.  The remainder of that'll of course will be done tomorrow, maybe I should start a new thread "Have you been out tomorrow?" ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1246 on: 15 August, 2008, 11:59:33 pm »
Just cycled home early for the FNRttC so I can get some kip in, and was enjoying empty roads.

I signalled right on Lambeth Bridge and WVM let me over, gave him thumbs-up.

The lights went red and he sat behind me and called out 'Only because you've got a nice bottom!'  ;D :o

Whereas I had the opposite on the way home from work.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

See in the mirror that there's a gap coming up from behind, so clearly signal right and pull out.  Keep an eye in the mirror.  The approaching car has slowed, is meandering in/out/in/out and I suspect is going for the overtake.  I stay assertive and hold my line (diagonally out towards the centre line).  By the time I'm at the centre line and still signalling for the turn the stupid bitch has gone for the overtake and is outside me on the wrong side of the road. 

I hit the brakes hard, so as to not overshoot the turning, she holds a hand up to apologise as she passes ??? ??? ??? so I return it with the well known gesture ( )  and then flick right.

Half a mile later when she passes me again  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  she gave me more room and the following car's passengers all looked at me and commented to themselves; I think the tone of the conversation was amusement and amazement at the fact her manoeuvre had been in vain and that my earlier signal had been appreciated.

« Reply #1247 on: 16 August, 2008, 06:40:51 am »
Just off to work.  A riot policing role today as Swindon is holding a gay pride event and the National Front don't believe that gayness should be celebrated let alone publicised.

Come on Mother Nature, drip some PC Rain please.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1248 on: 16 August, 2008, 06:45:14 am »
Just off to work.  A riot policing role today as Swindon is holding a gay pride event and the National Front don't believe that gayness should be celebrated let alone publicised.

Come on Mother Nature, drip some PC Rain please.

Hopefully for your safety you'll be in Police gear, not your own.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1249 on: 16 August, 2008, 09:07:51 am »
Mrs G did comment that the Gay Pride group may like to see some men in uniform.  But knowing the hairy arsed lot I'm with, I doubt it !! ;D