Author Topic: GWR train bike hooks - PSA  (Read 2543 times)

GWR train bike hooks - PSA
« on: 24 February, 2020, 08:37:25 am »
Not only are the bike hangers cramped and awkward to use, the soft coatings on the hooks are wearing away and are alot harder than aluminium rims.

They proved very effective at removing the black anodized finish on my hunt rim after an hours gentle rocking.

:'(

Re: GWR train bike hooks - PSA
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:43:44 am »
The design is sooo crap that, because of their size/shape it's not possible to cover them with a protective sheath (I've tried).  It's already virtually impossible to get my MTB rim on the hook - any increase in diameter and it would be actually impossible.

So yes, damaged rims.  What the f*uck were they thinking.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:48:01 am »
My tyre/rim depth combo is about 65mm and was like the krypton factor getting it on/off.

I was thinking i'd take a bit of rag/old sock next time, but you're right - you'd be stuffed if you had a MTB/off roader with bigger tyres.

« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2020, 09:20:03 am »
Well done - I had always thought that 60mm was the limit.

In future put your bike in there horizontally (yes, I know it sticks out of the end of the bike compartment but so what). If anyone complains just say that you can't fit your wheel on their hook.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2020, 12:42:36 pm »
What the f*uck were they thinking.

They were mostly thinking about modular toilets.

« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2020, 02:04:48 pm »

That would explain the shower cubicle concept but doesn't explain why the actual hook is so inadequate (unless you take the view that the brief was actually to inconvenience and deter as many cyclists as possible).

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2020, 04:40:00 pm »

That would explain the shower cubicle concept but doesn't explain why the actual hook is so inadequate (unless you take the view that the brief was actually to inconvenience and deter as many cyclists as possible).
I had always thought that the brief was to fit in as many seats as possible at the expense of everything else. That is the only way I can think of to explain the lack of bike space, luggage space, vestibule space, toilets which make aircraft toilets look spacious, etc. Seriously, though, I was informed that GWR didn't have much input as to the carriage design but rather that it was a government directive. Given this, it quite possibly was intended to deter as many cyclists as possible (the booking system certainly seems designed to do so!) and I certainly saw a big drop in the number of bikes when they were introduced.

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2020, 05:25:17 pm »
The design is sooo crap that, because of their size/shape it's not possible to cover them with a protective sheath (I've tried).  It's already virtually impossible to get my MTB rim on the hook - any increase in diameter and it would be actually impossible.

So yes, damaged rims.  What the f*uck were they thinking.

Yep, just so shortsighted, annoying, and depressingly unsurprising. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2020, 06:08:31 pm »

I believe the hook design changed from the one on the prototype that I saw.  I've yet to meet one of these trains in the flesh.

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2020, 06:33:59 pm »
You don’t want to bike wise, they are shit

« Reply #10 on: 25 February, 2020, 07:27:29 am »
I had always thought that the brief was to fit in as many seats as possible at the expense of everything else. That is the only way I can think of to explain the lack of bike space, luggage space, vestibule space, toilets which make aircraft toilets look spacious, etc.

The Azumas have only been in commission on LNER for a few weeks and they've already decided to take a couple of seats out commission at one end of some carriages for extra luggage space. Clearly at the design stage, no-one had the wit to get on an existing train and see how much luggage people brought for a long-distance trip.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #11 on: 25 February, 2020, 09:41:31 am »
It's just business as usual.  Lip-service is given to "integrated transport", "sustainability", etc but when it actually comes down to it the craving for higher profits trumps everything else.  That's why I have zero faith in governments (as the pawns of finance) doing anything meaningful about climate change.

« Reply #12 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:40:44 am »
It's just business as usual.  Lip-service is given to "integrated transport", "sustainability", etc but when it actually comes down to it the craving for higher profits trumps everything else.

The trains were specced and ordered by the government. Maximising the number of seats is a political goal because it looks good in government press releases. "We've provided decent bike spaces" doesn't.

If it were left up to train companies they'd probably remove all of the seats, since a sitting or standing passenger pays the same.

(or replace them all with first class, which would also maximise profits on these kinds of routes)

« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:07:34 am »
The trains were specced and ordered by the government.

That's why I mentioned the government rather than GWR (LNER, etc).  It's not just a political motivation but a financial one at higher levels (see Private Eye "Revolving Doors").

If it were left up to train companies they'd probably remove all of the seats, since a sitting or standing passenger pays the same.

(or replace them all with first class, which would also maximise profits on these kinds of routes)

Doubt they could get away with that as the public would revolt = political pressure to "do something".

So we arrive at a compromise giving lip-service to sustainibility whilst also (essentially) maximising profit.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:15:40 am »
Sustainability and transport is an interesting one - what should be the control mechanism on transport? Should there be one, or should we be able to choose when and where we go, and with whatever luggage?
It is simpler than it looks.