Author Topic: Very old Premium Bonds  (Read 5801 times)

Very old Premium Bonds
« on: 18 June, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »
In the course of my work I have unearthed some premium savings bonds from the late sixties and early seventies.   Checking online with NS&I all of the serial show as not known.   

Does anybody know anything about Premium Savings Bonds issued by the Lords Commissioners of H. M. Treasury under s.12 of the national loans act 1968 please?   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Very old Premium Bonds
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
All I know is that the £5's worth I have are from 1958. If they haven't been going into the draw, I'll sue...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2012, 08:10:04 pm »
 ... you can write to NS&I with the numbers and the name of the holder ... and address at the time of purchase and they should sort tell you what's happening. 

I had £3 (from when you could buy in £1 units) and they traced them and added them to my "account" with Premium Bonds purchased in the last 10 years or so.

IF the bonds had been consolidated into an "account" and then cashed it would be possible for the original physical paper bonds to exist but to have been cancelled and therefore invalid ... i.e. when the "account statement" system came in it did away with the physical bonds.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »
I've still got some paper bonds. When me moved I wrote to let them know where to and they confirmed them. (Now I'm worried that I didn't do it at the last move.) These would be from the early 70s. I've not, as far as I know, got an account. Still never won anything.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2022, 12:46:35 pm »
I've just found the 5 premium bonds I bought in 1963.
£5 was a lot of paper round money in those days.
Long since assumed lost and forgotten about.
I've checked, and they've not won a sausage. 
  :'(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2022, 01:19:17 pm »
When I set up an National Savings online account, a total of £30 of Premium Bonds bought for me by grandparents over the course of the early 80s popped up.  I was vaguely aware of them existing, but like most of my paperwork from before 2000 that wasn't needed for university applications, it was lost when I was made unwelcome by my parents.

They've never won anything.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2022, 01:56:39 pm »
I've had the odd 25 quid or 50 quid win off what is not very many of them by current standards.

Always check with NS&I though as:
They only become invalid when you cash them in
Your winnings never expire.

The shit thing is of course that, that decent sized holding of a fiver from way back, is now next to bugger all of a holding. So although equal in the draw, buying real terms equivalent now gets you more chances.