Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 89149 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Beer!
« Reply #275 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:15:17 pm »
not drunk yet, but I've just found out that Hop Fiction and Elvis Juice are now available in cand.

that's 4 x Hop fiction awaiting my dad's visit on Friday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #276 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:58:49 pm »
We are currently drinking Burning Sky Cuvee. It's frikkin awesome!  This may or may not be due to it being a very tired post 200km beer.

Nope, it is in fact awesome.

I need to buy more then :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #277 on: 22 April, 2017, 11:31:36 pm »
Ahem...

Awesome sauce! 😀 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #278 on: 03 May, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »
Crouch Vale Amarillo. It describes it as "Golden Premium Ale" which puts it one step up from Brewer's Gold which, as everyone knows, is officially the Best Beer Ever*. It's 5% alcohol. It is very good indeed. I bought a few bottled in Waitrose as they were on special offer. I have never seen this stuff on draught, but if I do I shall have some.

*Back-to-back winner of the CAMRA Champion Beer of Britain award, 2006 & 2007.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #279 on: 05 May, 2017, 06:54:17 pm »

ian

« Reply #280 on: 05 May, 2017, 07:14:39 pm »
Just back in the UK after a week of cerveza, I need something with whump tonight (plenty of excellent gin, mind you).

Still, in a couple of weeks I'll be in San Diego. I have a tap room hit list.

« Reply #281 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:00:19 pm »
I'm going to have a couple Brewdog Elvis Juices when I get in.

I don't like grapefruit generally but tried it because of the name a couple weeks ago. Didn't like the first half glass but it really grew on me.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #282 on: 06 May, 2017, 09:54:18 am »
Turnstone (Whitstable micro brewer) Yellow Sea at the Tankerton Arms last night. A nice tart, vaguely wheatish, unfined ale.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #283 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:28:33 pm »
First up a Northern Monk Communion pale ale. Rather refreshing after dragging it (and several other beers) up a giant hill. Really liking their stuff. If you see a can of their Tropical Death Party, send it my way, I drank all mine.

I also snarfed a bottle of Burning Sky Cuvee 2016, some Prairie Ace, and Modern Times Fortunate Islands, in addition to a selection of cans which explains why my bike was so heavy.

And I'd forgotten that I'd already bought two cans at lunch time (the rather splendid Magic Rock's Human Cannonball and Un-Human Cannonball).

I have to practice lying now because my wife will phone later and ask me what I'm drinking. Oh, just some cheap lager I found in the porch... She finds out I'm glugging a bottle of Cuvee or an Un-Human Cannonball and I'll be moving to the local Travelodge when she gets back.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #284 on: 06 May, 2017, 11:00:42 pm »
Mmm Cuvee...

This afternoon we went to the tap takeover by Rocket Brewing from Denmark. They do sour beer but quite flat lambic style. The Prune Balloon was quite pruney. The Nebula cherry beer was quite nice, as was the Life On Mars Bergamot sour, but my favourite was the Cape Hop. Though I think if they'd put cherries in that it would have been a winner.

ian

« Reply #285 on: 06 May, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »
Saving that for pudding. Currently Chorlton melon sour lager which is rather quaffable but needs a summer evening BBQ rather than cauliflower bhaji though it'll be gone before the bhaji is cooked. Contains 'incapacitated lactobacillus'. That's what happens when you swim in booze. No need to lie to my wife as she got bit by a bug and swelled up like a zeppelin and is thusly testing out Swiss healthcare. I hope they don't turn her lilac like their cows.

« Reply #286 on: 07 May, 2017, 08:25:53 am »
First up a Northern Monk Communion pale ale. Rather refreshing after dragging it (and several other beers) up a giant hill. Really liking their stuff. If you see a can of their Tropical Death Party, send it my way, I drank all mine.

I also snarfed a bottle of Burning Sky Cuvee 2016, some Prairie Ace, and Modern Times Fortunate Islands, in addition to a selection of cans which explains why my bike was so heavy.

And I'd forgotten that I'd already bought two cans at lunch time (the rather splendid Magic Rock's Human Cannonball and Un-Human Cannonball).

I have to practice lying now because my wife will phone later and ask me what I'm drinking. Oh, just some cheap lager I found in the porch... She finds out I'm glugging a bottle of Cuvee or an Un-Human Cannonball and I'll be moving to the local Travelodge when she gets back.

I really like Northern Monk New World, but haven't tried much else of their output. Magic Rock are also at the top end of canned beers. Still addicted to Tiny Rebel's  Clwb Tropicana, but I've taken the executive decision that my relatively recent discovery of the UK US style beers has led to probably a four fold increase in my home drinking, and therefore I need to cut back considerably.

However, it's also led to the complete abandonment of drinking at my local as I really don't see why I should drink mediocre beer like Hook Norton and Butcombe often badly kept to boot, so actually as you were.

ian

« Reply #287 on: 07 May, 2017, 12:06:03 pm »
I develop a sense of profound existential disappointment when someone arranges to meet me in a pub and there, through the door, I see the brightly lit Fosters pump or some other cooking lager. But no worries, they also have Doom Bar or Greene King IPA. There will be people drinking cider out of glasses filled with ice. It's the sort of place that, when I finally pitch up in Hell, Finestre – the Demon of Such Things – will arrange to meet me each lunchtime. She'll probably have already bought a round.

I can, on the other hand, predict the pub's closure and conversion into contemporary 'luxurious' fuck hutches to the millisecond.

I drank the Cuvee and it's as nice I remember (we went to the release night at Bottleshop). I saved the Human and Un-Human Cannonballs to share with my lilac wife as the cans are (a) big and (b) Un-Human Cannonball rocks up at 12% boozahol.

Northern Monk do a lot of collaborations, all their patrons' project beers have been quite literally awesome sauce. And the can artwork is fantastic. I also like the Magic Rock can design with all the little creatures. I'm going to have to make an opportunity the next I'm up north to visit their tap rooms.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #288 on: 07 May, 2017, 11:29:23 pm »
I had a flight of Dry & Bitter beers in CASC this afternoon. Two IPA-ish things and a porter. They did what they said on the tin hipster chalkboard menu :P Mrs P had another cherry sour thing from Rocket which was better than the one she had yesterday at 6DN from the same brewery. It had much more of a cherry flavour.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #289 on: 08 May, 2017, 01:48:15 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ian

« Reply #290 on: 08 May, 2017, 03:21:44 pm »
The default beer in Serbia is Lav which, if you've tasted it, you'll know how apt the name is. Made by Carlsberg, I think which tells you everything you need to know. I believe lav means 'lion' in Serbian, so charitably it literally is cat's piss.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 08 May, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »
So don't drink the beer next week then?

ian

« Reply #292 on: 08 May, 2017, 05:07:02 pm »
Novi Sad has a new clutch of craft pivo bars, so you can avoid the Lav. The other local pivo is Jelen, which is marginally better wishy-washy lager, probably OK for degreasing bike chains though I wouldn't see the point of drinking it other than micturition practice.

OK, a little harsh, there's something to be said for the local brews in situ, but the taste and refreshment doesn't transfer.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #293 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:08:52 pm »
So, it seems I have one night in Novi Sad and one night in Belgrade, any pointers welcome :)

ian

« Reply #294 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:25:10 pm »
Skripa pub I mentioned. It's the only one I remember the name of in Novi Sad. I can ask if you want more recommendations, the Serbian contingent claim it's gone craft-beer-crazy, though they just might be trying to persuade me to come back. I've not really spent any time in Belgrade, other than passing through. I think I did my schtick at a conference in the National Library once.

ian

« Reply #295 on: 12 May, 2017, 09:37:41 pm »
Starting out late with a (late) Athletic Breakfast from Ubrew. Not bad, oatmeal IPA (porridge, geddit).

I could be drinking Cloudwater-Mikkeller, of course, had my wife not got zeppelin leg from her spider bite and refusing to leave the house on account she has to wear slippers outdoors. She's from Essex, for fuck's sake, that's called getting dressed up in Shenfield.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #296 on: 15 May, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
I am having no luck with getting someone to go to BeerTown, in Malton, at the weekend :( This is a shame as they will have beers from Magic Rock, Omnipollo, Northern Monk and many more.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #297 on: 15 May, 2017, 07:37:44 pm »
Got a full house of Cloudwater-Mikkeller DIPAs in the end (though I had to wait for Saturday). I'm not sure of their definition of 'session' at 9% a pop, but all rather lush.

Oh, and a Stone 020202 Vertical Epic Ale for supper. With any luck, and assuming my wife's leg doesn't fall off, I'll be sitting in a Stone taproom in not many days time. I counted 206 beer venues in San Diego so I'm going to be busy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #298 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:54:56 pm »
Red Deer Ale from Alingsas in Sweden. STaying here for a few days.

Nice, copper coloured, malty, not overly hopped
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #299 on: 16 May, 2017, 04:17:24 pm »
We seem to be close to Samo Pivo (1st bar on this list) so looks like we might go for a nosey in there tonight. :P
http://jetsettingfools.com/5-craft-beer-bars-belgrade-serbia/