Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87712 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #425 on: 27 November, 2017, 09:32:16 pm »
Yes,quite; I seem to have a couple of bottles of the 2007 and the 2012 left, as well as a couple of decade-old bottles of Golden Pride. Maybe I'll do a tasting this Christmas.

ian

« Reply #426 on: 30 November, 2017, 08:30:55 pm »
Some awesomes at the Cloudwater tap takeover last night (it was Cloudwater collaborations). Some splendid stouts, a Lervig Black Forest Gateaux imperial stout which was lush (but tasted more like cherries and licorice to me) and a To Øl Christmas Cake imperial stout which was certainly festive.

A prosaically named Proteins and Lipids IPA (collab with Modern Times) was the best of several excellent IPAs.

On the subject of Manchester breweries, I was horrified to learn however that Boddingtons is still a thing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #427 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:22:20 pm »
Sweden next week, let's see what they have to throw in my direction
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #428 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:39:01 pm »
Lucky bugger
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #429 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:35:48 pm »
Lucky bugger

Norway last week, mixed bag.  Stavanger Jul Ol was my fave; Isbjorn beer least so, but it has sparked a few homebrew ideas.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #430 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:08:58 am »
Lots of Wylam beers, last night. Not surprising, really as our Xmas party was at the brewery! I can report that Jakehead is just as awesome as ever.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ElyDave

« Reply #431 on: 03 December, 2017, 07:47:03 pm »
Black Sheep, Glug McGlug this evening, interesting dark reddish brown IPA. Starts off a bit minty/Herby, rosemary, then malty, Holly, finishing with a bit of chocolatey liquorice flavour.

Good value from Morrison's at three for a fiver right now.

« Reply #432 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:38:53 pm »
Greene King Festive Pudding Ale. Pretty tasty - reminds me a bit of Fuller's ESB, but stronger (6%). And at £1.50/500ml on special at my local Morrisons I think I'll be back to stock up...

« Reply #433 on: 13 December, 2017, 01:53:43 pm »
I'm sick of pale ales.

I like a nice IPA as much as the next person or a pale ale on a summers day but recently they have taken over seem to have pushed out all other styles.
Was in Morrisons yesterday and they had about thirty different IPAs including ten from the USA and about two of anything else.
It's the same at pubs the guest beer is almost always a pale ale.
Its the middle of winter FFS lets have some normal bitters and Christmas ales.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #434 on: 13 December, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »
I bought yesterday from the Harvey's Brewery shop, a couple bottles of their Christmas and Elizabethan ales. Yummy.

https://www.harveys.org.uk/shop/christmas-ale/ and https://www.harveys.org.uk/shop/elizabethan-ale/

Elizabethan: A full, malty palate with a lingering bitterness and warming spirit content.
Christmas: It is heavily hopped, dark and strong, like Christmas Pudding in a glass!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #435 on: 13 December, 2017, 02:24:53 pm »
There are definitely seasonal beers about. I somehow think lowest common denominator pubs and horriblemarkets probably don't give a toss though. Think about the number of people stocking up on 24-packs of Fosters for Christmas...

I've taken a little slide back to session-able trad. beers. Monday's Snow Day involved a few pints of Abingdon's finest... Loose Cannon's Detonator and their Robust Porter. The benefits of working in education, eh?

It's okay though. I had a Ten Finger Discount from Siren / To Øl at the weekend. Possibly the nicest IPA I've had in aaages. 100% Citra and cedar wood.

ian

« Reply #436 on: 13 December, 2017, 05:28:10 pm »
Ten Finger Discount is fantastic (as is Middle Finger). Try Tickle Monster though.

I am have happy to disclose that I just found six entire bottles of Bible Belt and two cans of Even More Jesus. Heavens to Betsy, that'll tick my religious sentiments box this Christmas. Sadly no Pirate Noir. A man can't have everything. Have quite a range of imperial stouts. On the downside they start at 9% and scale up to 16.5%...

ian

« Reply #437 on: 24 December, 2017, 05:29:29 pm »
In a moment of distraction the other day I ended up with a Marston's Pedigree IPA (at least I think that's what it was). Some kind of Marston's IPA.

It was probably the most fucking awful thing I've ever tried to drink. Like grandad sick brewed with some dank hops that had been trod in to the brewery floor for a couple of weeks and then dry manured for a final kick. I gave up. It's a bad day when you have to switch to Moretti.

On the plus side, they have Bible Belt on tap at the Bar under the [Waterloo] Bridge last night along with some splendidly murky IPAs (Odyssey, Northern Monk, Fuerst Wiacek). That kicked off Cringletide properly.

ian

« Reply #438 on: 31 December, 2017, 07:03:28 pm »
Last night a scotch ale from Pisa. Don't ask*. It was very good though! If my Google fu is up to the task. They also had a very good strong golden ale from the same brewery. Proof that Italian beer doesn't start and stop with Peroni and Moretti.

Oh yes, and we went back to Waterloo for more Bible Belt. Also ran through a couple of flights of various in Brewdog Shepherd's Bush to get us in the mood for Bill Bailey the other night. It was most efficacious even if we couldn't say efficacious after that final 13.5% stout.

Tonight, it's the porch of awesome beer starting, erm, about now.

*OK, if you insist, the Italian beer place in Mercato Metropolitano down in E&C, they do a good selection of Italian craft beers which, let's face it, aren't exactly common.

« Reply #439 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:49:17 am »
(last week, pre-antibiotics and enforced wagon-time)

There's summat not quite right about this  ;D

Anyone got  a better translation than "Clean Pig"? 

« Reply #440 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:59:23 pm »
In a moment of distraction the other day I ended up with a Marston's Pedigree IPA (at least I think that's what it was). Some kind of Marston's IPA.

Pedigree isn't an IPA its just an amber beer and is really nice. Sounds like you had Marstons EPA (English Pale Ale - apparently). I've never had that so cant comment on if its awful or not and will take your word for it :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #441 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:26:00 pm »
Hmm, having Googled, I'm not sure what the foul bilge was other than it said Marstons. Perhaps EPA. I don't think I've ever liked Pedigree either for that matter, but if foul, stale-tasting bilge of the worst sort. I've not had a beer that bad since the inlaws served me a can of Mansfield bitter that went out of date in 1977. Mansfield bitter is close to undrinkable when fresh. Three decades in the can doesn't improve it.

Having just perused the Marston's web site, seriously chaps, you called a beer 'Pearl Jet.'

« Reply #442 on: 13 January, 2018, 10:56:46 pm »
Sarah Hughes Snowflake Winter Warmer: at 8% I only had a half, but it was a perfect example of a barley wine: sweet, rich, and vinous. So good in fact I went back the following day for more; sat by the pub's fire with a book, it doesn't get much better.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #443 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:07:53 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #444 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:13:23 pm »
The Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout I had last night was quite wonderful (an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels that had been used to store maple syrup, no actual Canadians were harmed in the process).

« Reply #445 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:04:02 pm »
*OK, if you insist, the Italian beer place in Mercato Metropolitano down in E&C, they do a good selection of Italian craft beers which, let's face it, aren't exactly common.
I recall strolling through Florence in December 1987 & finding a real ale bar selling local products a-plenty. And then I started seeing others. In the seven years since my previous visit they'd become common - & popular. In early 2002 I visited Livigno & found the self-proclaimed highest brewery (a brewpub, to be precise) in Europe, a bit over 1800 metres up, brewing what seemed to be trying-hard-to-be-trendy-craft-beers. Some of 'em were nice.

Aha! Still there - https://www.livigno.eu/en/food/Birrificio-Livigno_2223
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #446 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:10:28 pm »
(last week, pre-antibiotics and enforced wagon-time)

There's summat not quite right about this  ;D

Anyone got  a better translation than "Clean Pig"? 

Hogwash?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ElyDave

« Reply #447 on: 05 February, 2018, 09:53:57 pm »
tonight, 6 degrees north, a peloton pilsner, nice and sharp and decent body, followed by a chapeau triple - wow! is all I'm going to say to that one.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #448 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:32:28 pm »

Pedigree isn't an IPA its just an amber beer and is really nice. Sounds like you had Marstons EPA (English Pale Ale - apparently). I've never had that so cant comment on if its awful or not and will take your word for it :)

When I was still drinking BEER Pedigree was just a bog-standard bitter, but today I saw a lorry with "Marstons Pedigree Amber Ale" written on the side in large, friendly letters so I imagine They are applying the name to other Stuffs as well.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #449 on: 13 February, 2018, 12:10:31 am »

When I was still drinking BEER Pedigree was just a bog-standard bitter, but today I saw a lorry with "Marstons Pedigree Amber Ale" written on the side in large, friendly letters so I imagine They are applying the name to other Stuffs as well.

Don't think so (or at least not yet) - I think it's just an attempt to add a description to the brand rather than relying on the name alone ...

Mind you, they appear to have gone in the other direction with some of the other Marston's brews - http://protzonbeer.co.uk/comments/2016/11/02/marston-s-a-curious-rebranding