Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87740 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Beer!
« Reply #525 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:50:02 pm »
I'll be ABZ bound in a few weeks - Fierce Beer?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #526 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:01:13 pm »
Could be persuaded...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #527 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:01:41 pm »
We have found the Stone tap at Prenzlauerberg :P
That was brilliant. Going back.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #528 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:20:43 am »

So that stuff about San Diego was an Alternative Fact perpetrated by Mark Zuckerbot?

Iz disappointed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #529 on: 27 June, 2018, 04:44:53 pm »
Whereabouts are you? There’s always a good selection at Bellingers in Wantage (the Vauxhall dealer, I kid you not!) and Q garden centre just outside Didcot. Plus Whitehorse Brewery in Stanford
Abingdon - so all quite handy. Ta for the tips.

« Reply #530 on: 27 June, 2018, 04:45:47 pm »

It's amazing how these things just seem to happen. Every time.

ian

« Reply #531 on: 27 June, 2018, 05:04:46 pm »
Could be persuaded...

I went to Fierce Beer on their opening night. It's true. I didn't know you chaps were in Aberdeen. Sorry if I drank all the beer.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #532 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:55:04 pm »
Could be persuaded...

I went to Fierce Beer on their opening night. It's true. I didn't know you chaps were in Aberdeen. Sorry if I drank all the beer.

:facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #533 on: 28 June, 2018, 10:06:39 pm »
Could be persuaded...

How could you have missed the fact we live in Aberdeen?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #534 on: 28 June, 2018, 10:07:34 pm »

So that stuff about San Diego was an Alternative Fact perpetrated by Mark Zuckerbot?

Iz disappointed.
Yes, there didn't seem to be a FB page for that particular tap room...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #535 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:06:27 am »
I am building up to the Cannonball, too.

Today, however, in celebration of our 16th wedding anniversary, myself and Mrs T will be visiting the new House of Trembling Madness, which only opened yesterday!
Is the new trembling any good?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Yes! So good I went back the following weekend (and am heading there next weekend)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #536 on: 29 June, 2018, 05:02:15 pm »
Could be persuaded...

How could you have missed the fact we live in Aberdeen?

I'm the world's worst internet stalker, sorry. Plus I'm not very bright. Which everyone should already know.

Mmmm, Stone tap at Prenzlauer Berg... I see they also have one at Liberty Station in San Diego now, which is nice (they have a cool craft beer bar there anyway). For the record, I don't just attend conferences in SD to drink beer but it helps. Last year, when I wandered down to the bar in my Marriott I was greeted with a selection of twenty-four options. It sort of went sideways from there.

Very much looking forward to be in Portland and Seattle in a couple of months.

I think after a week of generic African lager (admittedly satisfying when you're there) I might have to crack the first Cannonballs tonight.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #537 on: 30 June, 2018, 05:54:50 am »
Last night I got around to trying a new (to me) Tiny Rebel beer, Peaches and Cream IPA.

It doesn't lie, it has tonnes of peaches, and hops.  Just the right balance, I would say.  Oh and it has a drawing of Princess Peach on the label.

Still not got to the Unhuman Cannonball...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #538 on: 30 June, 2018, 08:14:18 pm »
I just went with a nice chilled Lagunitas IPA this evening
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #539 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:31:47 pm »
O beer woe! Beavertown Extravaganza or not? No Cloudwater! No Verdant! Capitalist pigdoggery!

« Reply #540 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:08:26 pm »
The current interest in "craft" beers is a mystery to me.
Make a beer, add something exotic, boil it and then put it in a fancy can and charge lots seems to be the MO
I've got some Adnams Clementine Pale Ale. It's nice but way, way too expensive.
After a week in Suffolk, the two best pints have been London Pride although Adnams Freewheel has been good as well.

« Reply #541 on: 05 July, 2018, 05:26:52 pm »
Problem is the big brewers have got in on the craft beer scene.  Beavertown is being bought out at the moment.

Real craft brewers don't actually make any money. Cloudwater are a good example of this.

Funky can does not mean the contents are any good.

ian

« Reply #542 on: 05 July, 2018, 06:56:32 pm »
The current interest in "craft" beers is a mystery to me.
Make a beer, add something exotic, boil it and then put it in a fancy can and charge lots seems to be the MO
I've got some Adnams Clementine Pale Ale. It's nice but way, way too expensive.
After a week in Suffolk, the two best pints have been London Pride although Adnams Freewheel has been good as well.

I'm not sure I'd call Adnams 'craft' and it's not really just a case of bunging some fruit in. Though it can work, as anyone who's had a good Belgish kriek can verify. It's just about seeing what you can do making something that tastes good and is far away from tasteless mass produced 'beer' that used to fill every pub. Sure, not every one will be brilliant, but part of the fun is trying something new. Yes, it costs more, but much of it is produced o a very small scale by people who perhaps are more passionate about what they do than about how much money they can make out of it. I'd pay more for that.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #543 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:09:53 pm »
Well I for one like this new trend, it caused Timothy Taylor to brew one I liked. Sadly it will probably only be seasonal.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #544 on: 05 July, 2018, 10:42:28 pm »
Swannay Abune, om nom nom  :P

« Reply #545 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:37:39 am »
Why do people always pick on craft beer over value? It's probably one of the most fairly priced products. Hardly anyone (except Logan Plant) is making a ridiculous amount of money in the industry and as ian rightly said it's mostly produced with a real enthusiam for the product.

Traditional British ale has an artificially low price. There's a lot of underpaid workers and a lot of unpaid work goes on in small breweries. Craft beer has made some steps in changing that. A good number pay the (actual, not Tory) living wage and frankly it's reinvigorated drinking culture in many ways. Much like the 'artisan' gin boom.

« Reply #546 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:40:53 am »
On another note, after five whole dry days supervising human spawn in the Lakes, I'm going to funnel as much beer down my throat as possible. Hopefully there's some sessionable beers in t' fridge at home, otherwise this could get messy.

ian

« Reply #547 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:08:50 am »
Yes that, I do try where possible to avoid big chains (which is harder and harder) when I purchase. It's nice to give money to smaller producers of food and drink rather than large faceless companies, and when I do have buy things from big companies I try and at least pick the least worst. It's often the only power we have. And I like beer (and gin) and there's practically an infinite variety (you should see my beer coffin, it's full of frothy, hoppy, and soured goodness). And I'm old and sensible enough for it to not be about the hangover (or rather, it is about the hangover), so I'm not aiming to drink ten pints, I've rather savour something significant.

That's what troubles me about Beavertown. Heineken aren't interested in beer. OK, it's an investment and it's not like the private equity that funds Brewdog et al. much care about beer either, other than it gets their paws on something they seem incapable or unwilling to brew themselves. I can sort of say 'fair enough' as I don't actually mind the entrepreneurial instincts of folks like Brewdog (the ubiquity of Punk IPA is welcome, it might not be the best, but it's consistently drinkable). But equally, does it always have to be world domination. It's not like Logan Plant can plead poverty. Oh, I don't know, that's modern life, a romp through the swamp of hypocrisy.

Anyway, next time you're mooning over a £9 can of barrel-aged soured goji berry septuple hopped beer, remember that even beer brewing hipsters need to pay a mortgage. Or rather, mum and dad. Who they will pay back. Probably. Not. Anyway, think of the hipsters and grab that beer.

« Reply #548 on: 08 July, 2018, 09:37:32 pm »
Camden Strawberry Hells Forever - very nice and refreshing; the strawberry flavour is nice and subtle, but makes it less bland than the standard Hells. I hadn't realised Camden had been bought out by InBev, boo, though being available in Sainsbury's should perhaps have been a clue...

« Reply #549 on: 09 July, 2018, 02:15:34 am »
'kinell, Punk IPA can really hit the spot when you're in that sort of place ... A couple of chilled cans earlier really didn't touch the sides, though the Oakham Citra a bit later was slower and more savoured.

(Truth is, I think most things would have worked earlier, as long as COLD and WET were primary attributes. But the Punk was pretty much spot on.)