Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87813 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #675 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »
No names to be named but someone turned the fridge too high (low?) so when they went for a beer this eve it had a floating beerberg in it!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #676 on: 06 April, 2019, 11:15:58 am »
Jings! So much beer in FurryBootToon this weekend  :P

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #677 on: 06 April, 2019, 04:36:37 pm »
Brewdog have bought the Stone Brewery in Berlin. They get the keys on 1st May. We were going back at the end of June.
Grumph  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #678 on: 06 April, 2019, 04:56:03 pm »
 A couple of nice beers in Alingsas this week, nothing uite dark enough for me but the coppery coloured one I had was decently malty with a bit of bite and my colleague reported the lager as decent
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #679 on: 06 April, 2019, 05:01:38 pm »
Fuck's sake, Magic Rock taken over by Australian Lion group.
 >:(

Bound to happen, I think the only reason it hasn't happened to Beavertown is because a) they have rock star backing and b) they are shit.

I was at a "meet the brewer" thing on Thursday, with Black Sheep (the brewery, not otp) and found it interesting how they were trying to spin them doing to other breweries (York) what S&N did to cause Paul Theakston to set up the brewery in the first place.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #680 on: 06 April, 2019, 05:11:26 pm »
Fuck's sake, Magic Rock taken over by Australian Lion group.
 >:(

Bound to happen, I think the only reason it hasn't happened to Beavertown is because a) they have rock star backing and b) they are shit.

I was at a "meet the brewer" thing on Thursday, with Black Sheep (the brewery, not otp) and found it interesting how they were trying to spin them doing to other breweries (York) what S&N did to cause Paul Theakston to set up the brewery in the first place.

Given that York had gone into administration along with its parent company, I don't see a Black Sheep buyout as a bad thing.  Then again I'm out of touch here on the Kazakh-Uzbek border.  Can you tell me more?

« Reply #681 on: 06 April, 2019, 06:02:35 pm »
I thought Beavertown had a big (51%?) stake bought by Heineken?

From the comments the Stone Brewery owner made this week it looks like he'd gone out of his way to insult and alienate the whole German beer community anyhow, so the buyout isn't entirely unsurprising. (When *Brewdog* buy you out and it's seen as a sign of moderation, well then...)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #682 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:24:06 pm »
Jakob that was my thought: will Brewdog fare any better

« Reply #683 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:36:12 pm »
Beer Twitter has suggested that it's a move to consolidate their European brewing operations in advance of Brexit... ?

ian

« Reply #684 on: 08 April, 2019, 10:46:48 am »
Beer Twitter has suggested that it's a move to consolidate their European brewing operations in advance of Brexit... ?

That's pretty much what they said – there's no guarantees of easy distribution post-Brexit so it makes sense to consolidate operations within the EU (booze distribution is alway fraught, they've done well to get their US stuff to nine states so far). They're buying the facility, not the venue, and probably for a lot less money than it cost Stone to build it. Behind the marketing bluster, Brewdog is run by savvy business types.

Never sure about the venue, it clings to the southern edge of Berlin and isn't the easiest place to get to by public transport. That might work in Escondido were everyone drives and the weather is generally clement, less so when transposed to a chilly European city with very different culture to SoCal. Stone never seemed to maximize their investment, which is probably more where they have struggled – they've not cracked any European market (ironically I've seem Stone Berlin stuff more in the US) – compare and contrast with Lagunitas, Sierra, Goose Island (who have all relied on big backers/acquisition to get distribution). Brewdog know how to market and distribute.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #685 on: 12 April, 2019, 07:20:49 pm »
Ordered a whole case of Burning Sky Cuvee 2018. The dangers of shopping from the pub. I got carried away after using my Brewdog AGM discount and suddenly remembered I hadn't had any Cuvee for ages.
Oh well, never mind. :P

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #686 on: 18 April, 2019, 08:44:55 pm »
I was given a case of Brewdog beers as a present.  The lighter ones are too hoppy/floral for my liking but 5am Saint is pretty drinkable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #687 on: 20 April, 2019, 07:21:06 pm »
Drinking a bottle of that Burning Sky Cuvee 2018.
 :P

« Reply #688 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:43:05 pm »
Just back on the way home after n pints of  Batham's bitter. Superb beer served in pubs from the 80s. Which is good. If you're male and of a certain outlook. I fit some of those. Criteria. Hic!

Bathams is a small Dickensian- run brewery in the Black Country.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #689 on: 03 May, 2019, 08:28:44 pm »
This not the beer you're looking for.

IMG_2836_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

(It's next door  :P)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #690 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:29:41 pm »
Punk AF (0.5%) is launched tomorrow which I'm quite excited about as I'm hoping for more hops than Nanny State.

Also released next week is OverWorks Thorn Blossom – Scottish Sour Ale fermented with sea buckthorn and heather, aged in foeder, which sounds interesting :P

ian

« Reply #691 on: 08 May, 2019, 10:11:28 pm »
I don't normally rate low alcohol-free/low ABV beer, if I don't want the booze I'd usually settle for something else than what's at best a passable beer substitute.

But I did have a rather fantastic Tiny Rebel/Big Drop Not So Imperial Mocha Vanilla Shot Stoutat the weekend, which was pretty drinkable.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #692 on: 08 May, 2019, 10:26:21 pm »
I don't normally rate low alcohol-free/low ABV beer, if I don't want the booze I'd usually settle for something else than what's at best a passable beer substitute.

I like it for when I'm not ready to stop drinking yet but I know I'll regret having another.

ian

« Reply #693 on: 08 May, 2019, 10:57:31 pm »
I created a temporal regret re-locator. This nudges any regret into the future, for instance, the following morning when my alarm clock goes off.

« Reply #694 on: 18 May, 2019, 09:23:03 pm »
Just went into the garage to check on the washing machine and the beer cupboard has suffered a front leg collapse and dumped all the beer bottles on the floor and some have smashed, a tragedy!
I think I might have to replace the Ikea plastic legs (it was recycled from our last kitchen update) with some stronger wooden ones.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #695 on: 18 May, 2019, 09:37:01 pm »
OMG, do you have enough left to get through the rest of the show?

« Reply #696 on: 18 May, 2019, 09:44:52 pm »
OMG, do you have enough left to get through the rest of the show?

Don't panic I think its mainly the tonic that's smashed and I'm drinking a nice bottle of red tonight anyway :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #697 on: 18 May, 2019, 09:48:35 pm »
Phew.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #698 on: 21 May, 2019, 06:13:42 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-48341171

Saw this today.

Enjoyed a nice Thornbridge Green Mountain at the weekend.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #699 on: 01 June, 2019, 10:05:25 pm »
Banana, which doesn't contain any banana, but tastes quite banana-y. A banana milkshake APA claims the can and who am I to argue. By The Horns. Yeasty esters.

I've completely forgotten (I was doing the nodding but not actually listening thing that terrible husbands do) which beers my wife told me not to drink before she vamoosed on her latest trip. She was very prescriptive, I do remember that much. There might have been threats of divorce and being fed to hungry raccoon dogs. Oh well. Never mind. Nice doggie.

I cycled 800m today, so need sustenance. That 800 vertical meters. Failed to achieve escape velocity. I think I went past Highgate Cemetry so slowly that some of the residents could have overtaken me. Owing to a navigational error, they got two opportunities too.