Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391098 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #900 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:42:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for the responses.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #901 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:08:28 am »
I am looking to create my 1st mandatory by GPS and I have a few questions....

1. Do I have to name start/finish on my virtual brevet?

2. Do I need to name controls along the way?

Or will the whole ridden track log be validated against the intended route that was previously submitted?

Thanks

« Reply #902 on: 30 March, 2017, 07:26:20 am »
1. Do I have to name start/finish on my virtual brevet?

You do have to name them on your entry form.

2. Do I need to name controls along the way?

Yes, at intervals of about 50-80km. (Names of places on the route is all you need, as precise locations are already specified by your intended track.)

Or will the whole ridden track log be validated against the intended route that was previously submitted?

It will be validated against the intended route, but you still need to name controls, as above. It isn't either/or, it's both.

All is presented in more detail at

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/routes/mandatoryprocss/

It seems much simpler when you've done it a couple of times!

Good luck and happy riding.

« Reply #903 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:10:01 pm »
Great many thanks tonyh for that, yes as you say its probably more complicated reading what is required rather than to do it!

Regards :) :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #904 on: 02 April, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
Plan your route. Pick villages at between 50-80km apart on your route. Put villages (with county), plus start / finish in the form with your GPX track.

« Reply #905 on: 02 April, 2017, 11:11:53 pm »
Thanks Phil,

Seems straight forward now :thumbsup:

Regards
BB

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #906 on: 21 April, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »
What's the time limit for a DIY 200? 12h30? (I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but... And yes I did look on the aukweb but couldn't find anything about time limits or minimum speeds there.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #907 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:05:01 pm »
$Distance / 14.3km/h, which generally gives you 14 and a bit hours.

Standard time limit for a BRM 200 is 13hr30min.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #908 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »
Thank you.

« Reply #909 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:29:46 pm »
... so if the distance* is 214.3 km, you've got exactly 15 hours.

*for Mandatory Route entries, that's the whole distance of your route;
  for Advisory Route entries, it's the shortest on-road distance between your stated controls, which is likely to be less than the distance you actually choose to ride.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #910 on: 23 April, 2017, 05:53:31 pm »
This is a truly random and totally abstract question: do you need a cycle to take part in an audax or could you, theoretically, do it on foot? IanN calculated yesterday (yes, I shared this stupid thought with him) that if an Olympic class marathonist could carry on at the same pace for another 160km they could complete a 200 within the time limits. Someone, somewhere, is bound to be able to do it – but anyone who can do it surely has their sights on bigger goals than a somewhat obscure, slightly geeky and non-remunerative semi-sporting activity! (I reckon the answer is that AUK regs don't actually require a cycle, just "human muscular effort", so it would be allowable.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #911 on: 23 April, 2017, 05:55:29 pm »
Already an AUK brevet has been completed on a skateboard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #912 on: 23 April, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »
Not sure if there's an official record for running 200km. The world record for 24 hours is 303 km (on the track), so a bit slower than audax BR speeds.
A Brevet Populaire can have more relaxed speeds. So you could have a 50km with a limit of 5 or 6 hours, which would be doable by many ultrarunners.

Don't know if it would be allowed under the AUK regulations. They do say "AUK events are cycle rides". But does it actually specify that you need to ride a "cycle" of some sort?

« Reply #913 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:46:54 pm »
There are a few 50 km rides in the calendar with a 10 km/h minimum. If you can run a marathon (42 km) in 4 hours - which is a completely average time - that should be easily doable.

(annoyingly none of them are even vaguely local, or I'd have a crack at it. Maybe next year...)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #914 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:52:51 am »
Already an AUK brevet has been completed on a skateboard.
When and where was that?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #915 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:21:51 am »
It was about 25 years ago and it was a place-to-place (not a circuit) populaire that started quite a bit higher than it finished.  It also had an element of rough off-road so a bit of running with the skateboard under the arm was involved.

More notably PBP has been ridden, and with a good time, on a kick-scooter.  I think that has subsequently been outlawed by ACP.

AUK current regs:
9.3 Any kind of cycle may be ridden, with the following conditions:
9.3.1 The cycle is propelled solely by human effort. ...

(Despite this, AUK seem to be relaxed about participants on electrically-assisted bikes)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #916 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:22:12 am »
It was before my time. frankly frankie and some other long-term AUKs will have the details but from memory it was a hilly 60km BP down in the southwest and he tended to jog past riders up steeper hills.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #917 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:25:03 am »
After Alpo's scooter PBP03, the ACP requires non-chain-driven machines to be approved by the organisers. Reputedly that is to keep rollerbladers out. I'd be astounded if a belt-drive bicycle hasn't already been ridden round PBP but can't recall a specific person who has done so off the top of my head.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #918 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:35:28 am »
Sounds as if ACP are strict about cycles being cycles whereas AUK are more relaxed.
It was about 25 years ago and it was a place-to-place (not a circuit) populaire that started quite a bit higher than it finished.  It also had an element of rough off-road so a bit of running with the skateboard under the arm was involved.

More notably PBP has been ridden, and with a good time, on a kick-scooter.  I think that has subsequently been outlawed by ACP.

AUK current regs:

(Despite this, AUK seem to be relaxed about participants on electrically-assisted bikes)
Electrically assisted bikes are only allowed on BPs not BRs, aren't they? Or maybe they're allowed to enter BRs too but don't get validated or something?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #919 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:56:24 am »
If I had my bike stolen with (say) less than 1/4 still to ride, I'd like to think I'd be validated after completing on foot. That's not unfeasible on a multi-day event, where lots of riders build up a buffer of >10 hours.

I can understand not wanting ultra-runners on an event (though I've nothing against runners per se). They don't allow bikes on _their_ events!

We're into pretty fringe situations here, but it's an interesting discussion  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #920 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:20:19 am »
Sounds as if ACP are strict about cycles being cycles whereas AUK are more relaxed.

AUK current regs:

Electrically assisted bikes are only allowed on BPs not BRs, aren't they? Or maybe they're allowed to enter BRs too but don't get validated or something?

E-bike riders are allowed to enter BPs but are not eligible for validation. E-bikers aren't allowed to enter BRs.

« Reply #921 on: 25 April, 2017, 12:21:06 am »
I remember it as being the Cut Gate roughstuff event, done by Graham Moult on skateboard.
(The Cut Gate track is between Langsett and Ladybower reservoirs, in the Dark Peak)

(from geograph)

« Reply #922 on: 25 April, 2017, 07:01:35 am »

Is this still organised? If not does anyone have the route?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #923 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:32:32 am »
Another year Graham also rode that on tandem with Sheila stoking.  She says she's never been more terrified, not least because they finished with several fewer spokes than when they started.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #924 on: 25 April, 2017, 11:11:24 am »
I remember it as being the Cut Gate roughstuff event, done by Graham Moult on skateboard.
(The Cut Gate track is between Langsett and Ladybower reservoirs, in the Dark Peak)

(from geograph)
Wow. Impressive. In many ways. That does't look like somewhere to go skateboarding to me – or audaxing. It looks like somewhere to maybe sit down, make a cup of tea, enjoy the sunshine and pitch camp with some friends. Beautiful however you get there.