Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 337279 times)

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #600 on: 14 May, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »
Alpkit titanium tykes to replace bendy and heavy pegs in our other tents.

« Reply #601 on: 15 May, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »
Alpkit LED lamp Has arrived. On switch is annoying me a bit as it is a little bit hit and miss. No failures yet but a tad annoying.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #602 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:54:41 pm »
A tube of seam sealant: seams, for the sealing of.

Hopefully the next camping trip with crap weather won't require a strategic deployment of a trangia pan at 2:30am.

« Reply #603 on: 20 May, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »
2x 7.5cm sims from Costco for car camping on our new Posadas double campbed ;D

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #604 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
Alpkit LED lamp Has arrived. On switch is annoying me a bit as it is a little bit hit and miss. No failures yet but a tad annoying.

as a safely feature to stop it switching on in your bag you need to press it twice, with a short dealy between presses.

LEE

« Reply #605 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:52:51 pm »
Not quite made a purchase but I have ordered one of these today. http://www.helinox.com.au/pages/helinox-chair-one.asp
I have been quoted 3 weeks delivery time.

The chair arrived today and it is very comfy. I think it is bye bye to stools.

Very interested in a long-term review of this.

Comfy seating, especially on cold ground, really makes/breaks a trip.

My other option is to fabricate a thermarest type chair, from webbing, for my Alpkit Airik (much wider than a thermarest).

« Reply #606 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:31:31 pm »

as a safely feature to stop it switching on in your bag you need to press it twice, with a short dealy between presses.

TY. Has cheered me up no end.

« Reply #607 on: 22 May, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »
Lifeventure titanium KFS set for £13.19 from Wiggle.

« Reply #608 on: 23 May, 2012, 06:00:41 am »
Sharp cooking knife from REI sale! REI membership = dangerous.  :demon:

« Reply #609 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:43:08 am »
Got a non-corkscrew-type dog tether so that Cam can come camping again. Going to do more walking/camping trips before she starts to get too old. I tested it in the garden yesterday, it is a much better design than the cheese one we broke at C&B’s wedding.

Also ordered a Synmat Ultralite and a pillow pump. My hips & back are fed up of the Thermarest-alike that I’ve had these last few years. Went for the Ultralite as I will be carrying it on my back along with other non-ultralite stuff.

Next on the list are ti tent pegs from Alpkit (have bent most of mine and they’re not the lightest) and some kind of groundsheet/footprint to supplement the integral groundsheet in my Triton, seeing as it’s starting to give up a little.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #610 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:52:50 am »
Those Helinox chairs look to be very good. They claim that they will support 145kg, which is about 1.4 of me. I too will be very interested in its test-sits.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #611 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:23:43 am »
Ooh my Synmat Ultralite and Pillow Pump arrived yesterday. The Pillow Pump inflated it really quickly and I then laid on it on my laminate floor to test it. Definitely more hip-friendly, am looking forward to trying it out.

How is one supposed to store both of these items? I expect you’re not supposed to store them in their stuffsacs, but it’s so much handier when you have next to no space…

« Reply #612 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:34:12 am »
We mostly store ours in their sacks. The down sleeping bags loll around the dining room or shoe room, but the mats and pillows have to suffer.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #613 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:50:14 am »
They are used frequently, though.
Getting there...

« Reply #614 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
You go camping so often that I don’t expect yours suffer too much! Perhaps that’s the solution…

Can’t help thinking that it’s not quite as important as with the self-inflating mats, which I’ve been storing folded in half in a cupboard.

« Reply #615 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:57:54 am »
They'll be fine. We sometimes have a couple of months between trips (we rarely camp in November and never yet in December) so they do sometimes get stored for a while. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #616 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:55:13 pm »
My downmat lives it its stuff-sack.  Airic (thermarest alike) lives inflated with the valve open behind a door.  My down sleeping bag lives in its string storage bag hanging from said door.  The synthetic bags live in their compression sacks with the straps loose.  Our 1970s style rubberised cotton air bed lives in a pile of dust under the bed :)

If you've got limited storage space, I think it makes sense to rank what gets to be stored in the inflated state according to how awkward that's going to be to achieve after long-term storage.  So self-inflating things (which includes sleeping bags) get dibs.

Of course, what you can do if you use self-inflating things infrequently is take them out and inflate them for a couple of days before repacking for a trip.  Should make them a little less reluctant to get going when you actually want to use them.

« Reply #617 on: 25 May, 2012, 04:42:39 pm »
That's pretty much what I do already, though I have no down bags and the old 'behind a door' trick becomes trickier in a studio flat. I might set the Exped pillow pump free, because it has quite a lot of self-inflating foam to it. It works very well; the synmat was inflated in about a minute.

I reckon the synmat should be fine in its stuff-sack, particularly as I'm never going to inflate it by breath (this is an option with the ultralite, but I don't want to introduce too much moisture).

« Reply #618 on: 26 May, 2012, 08:02:28 am »
My self inflating mat and down bag have always lived rolled up tight, and I sometimes go more than a year without using them!  It never occurred to me it wasn't a good idea. Never noticed any problem with them.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #619 on: 27 May, 2012, 04:55:23 am »
Today, another visit to REI where we purchased bear deterrent spray and bear bells.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #620 on: 27 May, 2012, 01:57:58 pm »
Isn't it a bit dangerous, fitting bells to bears?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #621 on: 27 May, 2012, 02:06:08 pm »
Isn't it a bit dangerous, fitting bells to bears?
Depends whether or not you've given the bear a taste of the pepper spray before you try to fit them.
Of course, if you happen to encounter a hard-of-hearing bear then all bets are probably off.

Whilst making a noise is a good bear deterrent, I wasn't aware you could buy bells for the purpose - looks like something else to put on the list. Wonder if there's a Ti version available  ;D

(as part of my preparations for going to Alaska, I'm in the process of putting together a holster for a bear spray canister which will fit on Pugsley's handlebars)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #622 on: 27 May, 2012, 02:09:11 pm »
Today I am delighted to say I did not buy from Argos for £19.99 a two-person pop up tent. I had planned to do so and use it on the LonJog Fridays Tour because it would be easy to put up when I was tired at the end of the day. But after reading reviews which said it is indeed an excellent tent and did, in fact, pop up, but had a minor fault which is that when it doesn't rain there is a lot of condensation and you get wet, and that when it does rain the rain comes through the fabric and you get wet, I decided to keep the money and use a tent I already own, which doesn't leak.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #623 on: 28 May, 2012, 04:16:33 pm »
Bought a new fleece in Pokhara as mine was hanging off me. There's so much knock-off outdoor kit available here, I'm tempted to get a four season sleeping bag to send home and some other bits...

« Reply #624 on: 28 May, 2012, 04:18:41 pm »
(as part of my preparations for going to Alaska, I'm in the process of putting together a holster for a bear spray canister which will fit on Pugsley's handlebars)
good idea. If ever there was a bike that would attract bear-bike-thieves, it is your Pugsley.
<i>Marmite slave</i>