Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 335175 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #850 on: 04 March, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »
These might be worth a punt on Thursday at Lidl stores. Some of the light weight camping retailers have similar items but at 2-3 times this price!
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_39715.htm

« Reply #851 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:23:17 am »
Spent the first night under canvas this year over the weekend.

We've moved to old man camping, ie everyone turning up with in cars with bootloads of equipment.

However we had a dutch oven! From here http://www.dutchovens.co.uk/

Which was effectively this place http://www.ronniesunshines.com/

Dutch ovens are awesome, and now I have a share in one, I shall have to use it more often. Very good at slow cooking food.

« Reply #852 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:01:53 pm »
These might be worth a punt on Thursday at Lidl stores. Some of the light weight camping retailers have similar items but at 2-3 times this price!
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_39715.htm

Our website is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I do wish people could be bothered to type the couple of words that say what "this" is  >:(

« Reply #853 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:03:51 pm »
It was working earlier in the week - they were tiny plastic grips so you can pick up the edge of a hot pan.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #854 on: 15 March, 2013, 10:53:47 am »
A camping coffee maker and some flasks, from SportPursuit, so they will arrive just before the next ice age.  Nice and cheap, especially as I had £15 bonus to spend from other people ordering on there!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #855 on: 17 March, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »
A Rab ascent 500 sleeping bag - http://rab.uk.com/products/sleeping-bags/ascent_1/p-ascent-500-p.html

Whilst I live camping, it is mostly done in high summer (and often not in the UK), so I have a 2 season bag from mountain hardwear.

I plan to camp on the first Wessex Series weekend at the start of April. So I ordered a new bag for this purpose. Seems very nice indeed.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #856 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:19:33 pm »
A long Alpkit sleeping bag off eBay for rather less than they are new  :thumbsup:

« Reply #857 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:43:52 pm »
A Snow Peak 900 ml cookset (http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/trek-900-titanium-scs-008t.html ). Since I've got the GigaPower stove, a 700ml cook pot and a double-walled mug, the nesting possibilities are starting to multiply. FWIW, the 900ml cookset will hold a 220 gram cartridge and a GigaPower stove, and the Snow Peak windscreen stows very nicely around the base of the cookset.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #858 on: 06 April, 2013, 07:09:52 pm »
The Lidl house on the prairie. A 1.5kg 2-man tent for under fifteen quid. Now I am not expecting a great deal of this, but hopefully it will keep the rain off and save me from dying from exposure on the Rutland camping weekend.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #859 on: 06 April, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »
I dropped into a camping shop in Bath last week and they just happened to have some MSR pressure fuel bottles on a discount. I bought a large one for £12. I can now venture forth with almost half a gallon of paraffin about my person in properly sealed containers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #860 on: 06 April, 2013, 07:49:39 pm »
The Lidl house on the prairie. A 1.5kg 2-man tent for under fifteen quid. Now I am not expecting a great deal of this, but hopefully it will keep the rain off and save me from dying from exposure on the Rutland camping weekend.

Single skinned?  You'd better hope it's not a cold night because single-skinned tents generate their own, internal, rainfall.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #861 on: 06 April, 2013, 08:02:57 pm »
I'm doomed.

« Reply #862 on: 06 April, 2013, 09:21:30 pm »
just wear your rain gear in the tent and you will be fine  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #863 on: 13 April, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »
A tarp to use a groundsheet (it's from 'nam man) and headtorch so I will be able to spot where the leaks are coming from at night.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #864 on: 13 April, 2013, 08:55:35 pm »
Now you need some titanium pans to catch the drips.

(For reference, a metal pan put down to catch the drips in a small tent is surprisingly loud, and only just preferable to general sogginess.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #865 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:18:07 pm »
Dutch ovens are awesome
indeed they are, if you want to get your own back after your sleeping partner's last big fart has passed over.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dutch%20oven
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #866 on: 02 May, 2013, 10:07:46 pm »
My first "proper" multitool (not a cheap petrol station one), a Leatherman Skeletool. So pretty! And a few other bits and pieces.

Tomorrow I'll be back at Go Outdoors for a thermarest-shaped-object, as mine has vanished off the face of the earth!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #867 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:45:24 am »
(as I'm sure it'll get mentioned anyway...)

... and a Vango Omega 350, as I managed to get past Oxford on my way to the Rutland weekend before I realised that my tent was in the F*&^%&**%^&*%*&%&*%&%^ING GARAGE  :facepalm:

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #868 on: 06 May, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »
Nearly... After coveting Canardly's Vango Banshee 300 next door in Rutland & having to get something very soon for Ms Marco & friend to DofE in, I am swaying between the 200 & 300.

Cycle touring potential beckons, & if I get the larger one I reckon Mrs Marco might be persuaded to undertake nights away by bike. And if I take it away myself, it will seem palatial-ish. And an extra 500g isn't much. Hmm.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #869 on: 06 May, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »
I think the 300 is well worth it for two (it fits barakta and I plus the usual amount of stuff reasonably well, anyway).  Fboab has a 200, and it's a bit snug for two people with any amount of kit.

Marco Stefano

« Reply #870 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:29:50 pm »
Thanks Kim. The deed has been done. I may be sleeping in the garden next weekend.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #871 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »
Thanks Kim. The deed has been done. I may be sleeping in the garden next weekend.

How about a beer garden?   :demon:

Marco Stefano

« Reply #872 on: 07 May, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »

How about a beer garden?   :demon:

Stop it - you are very naughty. I won't get a pass out two weekends on the trot.
Another nice part of the country there, hope all have a good time.

« Reply #873 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
As I recall Kim pointed me at a bargainous purchase of said Banshee.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #874 on: 08 May, 2013, 03:01:26 pm »
I think the 300 is well worth it for two (it fits barakta and I plus the usual amount of stuff reasonably well, anyway).  Fboab has a 200, and it's a bit snug for two people with any amount of kit.
The 200 is great for an adult + a child. As long as the child doesn't wriggle. It's my solo-camping tent.