Author Topic: Recumbent takes the p?  (Read 4720 times)

Tiger

Recumbent takes the p?
« on: 09 December, 2008, 11:31:53 am »
This might be a Health& fitness issue but this is a specifically recumbent community request. On long rides - does anyoine else get extreme 'urgency' as it is known? Is it related to lying position - or am I simply exhibiting age related prostate issues?

squeaker

Re: Recumbent takes the p?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2008, 12:40:31 pm »
Both (!), I suspect, but never had it that 'extreme'.  (Wifey thinks it's due to being able to relax one's mid-section (core) on a 'bent (cf a DF bike)....)
Might be worth a quick chat with a doc for reassurance / check-up.

waxer

« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2008, 01:29:32 pm »
hi, i thought that i was the only one that suffered with the urgency or maybe its a need to "P" more frequently. i find on audax rides this is more pronounced but this could be to do with my nerves and that i may run out of times but sometimes i can only do about 10 miles to the "P". maybe i should go and have a word with my doctor as i don't drink as much as i should on a long ride, about one cycle botle of fluid + cup of tea at each control on a 200km ride. i guess i should be drinking more but then i suspect i would just "P" more.i can't remember having to "P" as much when i rode an upright bike.

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2008, 01:38:13 pm »
I think most people get this over long distance.  It's a mixture of you drinking a lot of fluid, coldness, your body getting physically and mentally tired, and overindulgence in caffeine, which is a diuretic.  I can do a 200km without a problem, but much further than that and I start needing regular comfort breaks.  That's on an upright, I've not ridden any distance on a 'bent. 

PS, the guy who broke the 24hour record on a recumbent had a camelbak rigged up to pee into.  You'd have to be careful not to get the hoses mixed up though...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2008, 01:41:15 pm »
No, I've never noticed any difference. I'd have thought the opposite was more likely. More pressure on your bladder from the upright position (or hunched over), no?
Anyway, I'm 55 and fully expect to have similar problems in the not-too-distant future.  :(
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2008, 02:04:41 pm »
hi, i thought that i was the only one that suffered with the urgency or maybe its a need to "P" more frequently. i find on audax rides this is more pronounced but this could be to do with my nerves and that i may run out of times but sometimes i can only do about 10 miles to the "P". maybe i should go and have a word with my doctor as i don't drink as much as i should on a long ride, about one cycle botle of fluid + cup of tea at each control on a 200km ride. i guess i should be drinking more but then i suspect i would just "P" more.i can't remember having to "P" as much when i rode an upright bike.

That is a relief (no pun). Problem shared and all tha. I never used to get this on an upright but I find that after about 6 hours riding recumbent the p stops increase and when I have to go I just have to go! I don't overhydrate, and I am concluding that it is something to do with the reclined posture and tiredness creeping in from the legs.

byegad

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2008, 03:40:38 pm »
I find it less of a problem on a 'bent than I used to on a DF. I'm surprised so many people seem to be having a 'P'roblem.

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2008, 05:35:22 pm »
Is normal - I get it a bit.  It seems easier to hold onto more for longer lying down though.

toilet break frequency on recumbents - 'BentRider Online Forums
recumbent leaks - 'BentRider Online Forums
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2008, 06:03:38 pm »
I find it less of a problem on a 'bent than I used to on a DF. I'm surprised so many people seem to be having a 'P'roblem.
+1.  No bladder probs on my 'bent.  The top end is more of an issue; trapped wind in the top-end of the stomach, floating up above the oesophagus.  So I stop pedalling, sit up a long way forward, then belch for England.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Tiger

« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2008, 06:07:44 pm »
Thanks for the links - very instructive. I thought it was just me but it is indeed a recognised recumbent riding effect and lots of otherwise fit and fine riders seem to get it. It is not a problem just a bit odd - and can mean I lose my lead if I get hit at eg the bottom of a hill! 

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2008, 06:14:52 pm »
Nothing that a cathater (sp?) can't sort out.
Just needs a long tube and fixed so it doesn't catch in the wheel while going along.
Or it could end up like catching your tie in a shredder, braking like mad before it stretches to far  ;D

Rich.

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2008, 06:34:33 pm »
Just needs a long tube and fixed so it doesn't catch in the wheel while going along.
Or it could end up like catching your tie in a shredder, braking like mad before it stretches to far  ;D

Rich.

I've heard of an old inner tube being used from in a tent. Wouldn't be too out of place exiting the leg of your shorts on a 'bent ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2008, 06:42:59 pm »
Aka a condom catheter.  Several of the sailplanes at our local gliding club had one, they were also very reclined.  I remember reading a hilarious story about a paraglider pilot needing to go, and getting stage fright.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #13 on: 09 December, 2008, 07:01:18 pm »
Once got my recumbent catheter mixed up with the hydration pack in the tailbox. Can't say I ever really noticed the difference.

Actually, that's not entirely true.

You could always just do a Paula Radcliffe and be done with it. Drill a few holes in the seat kind of modification!  :)

Garry Broad

Tiger

« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2008, 07:30:52 pm »

Rich.

I've heard of an old inner tube being used from in a tent. Wouldn't be too out of place exiting the leg of your shorts on a 'bent ;D

Problem aparently with this approach is backspray. And the obvious risk of snagging the chain.

waxer

« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2008, 10:52:13 pm »
I have read on the bacchetta forum I think About riders using catheters in events like the sebring 24hr race with great success, I had considered using one for PBP but changed me mind.On PBP, this was when I started to notice it more, having time to think through the night and being paranioed about running out of time I started to work out how many "P" stops I would have over the event it was something like 120ish.
I'm not bashful when it comes to the call of nature so I just stop at the side of the road and go for it, I guess one day this might get me in trouble but when you have to go you have to go.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #16 on: 10 December, 2008, 01:09:19 am »
I usualy go half way up some big hill, it gives me a reason to stop and not look like I can't make it up  ;D.

Rich.

byegad

« Reply #17 on: 10 December, 2008, 07:17:50 pm »
I usualy go half way up some big hill, it gives me a reason to stop and not look like I can't make it up  ;D.

Rich.

How I wish you'd kept that one to yourself! My cover is blown!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #18 on: 11 December, 2008, 09:34:45 pm »
I suffer from Diabetes Insipidus from the brain inuries. It means that the pituitary in the brain does not produce any anti diurhetic hormones. If I don't take the medication, or when it starts to wear off, I need to go every 7 minutes on average! After 12 years of that you get used to being Bold and brazen in pub(L)ic places!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2009, 02:05:12 am »

Rich.

But stop pedaling for a mo or  :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.