Poll

For how long & where are you generally getting bike exercise, during covid lockdown?

Not on the bike at all atm, exercising another way...
12 (3.1%)
Road < 1hr
24 (6.2%)
Road 1 - 1.5hrs
44 (11.4%)
Road 1.5 - 2hrs
32 (8.3%)
Road 2 - 3hrs
30 (7.8%)
Road 3hrs+
21 (5.4%)
Virtual <0.5hrs
2 (0.5%)
Virtual 0.5 - 1hr
8 (2.1%)
Virtual 1 - 1.5 hrs
10 (2.6%)
Virtual +1.5hrs
7 (1.8%)
Aiming for once a day
38 (9.8%)
A few times a week
44 (11.4%)
Twice a week or less
15 (3.9%)
Generally on roads only
48 (12.4%)
Mix of roads and virtual rides
11 (2.8%)
Mostly/ entirely at home on turbo / rollers
9 (2.3%)
No exercise.
7 (1.8%)
Something else...
9 (2.3%)
Off-road <1hr
5 (1.3%)
Off-road 1-2hrs
4 (1%)
Off-road 2-3hrs
1 (0.3%)
Off-road 3hrs+
1 (0.3%)
Mix of road / off road / virtual
5 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Poll: On the bike in lockdown?  (Read 8075 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Poll: On the bike in lockdown?
« Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2020, 04:28:43 pm »
Mostly in the formation with a bloke up front trailing a woman with a seriously, you said this would be short ride face in the rear.

For bonus points, the bloke should be riding a lightweight road bike and the woman an under-maintained hybrid or city bike of at least double the weight.   >:(

I mean, sure.  She probably doesn't even want a twitchy bike with silly pedals and brake levers you can't reach properly.  But at least have the decency to put the slower rider in front.  Exceptions allowed for riding ahead for a hedge inspection, opening a Silly Sustrans Gate™ or perhaps doing multiple hill reps in the interests of general masochism.
Hmm, either side by side or stronger rider in front for wind-shelter but at the speed of the slower rider? Side by side allows for conversation, which may or may not be desired.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #26 on: 21 April, 2020, 05:27:54 pm »
Mostly in the formation with a bloke up front trailing a woman with a seriously, you said this would be short ride face in the rear.

For bonus points, the bloke should be riding a lightweight road bike and the woman an under-maintained hybrid or city bike of at least double the weight.   >:(

I mean, sure.  She probably doesn't even want a twitchy bike with silly pedals and brake levers you can't reach properly.  But at least have the decency to put the slower rider in front.  Exceptions allowed for riding ahead for a hedge inspection, opening a Silly Sustrans Gate™ or perhaps doing multiple hill reps in the interests of general masochism.

They do seem kitted out, but I live in a land of hills. I think it's often the case of the inveterate male cyclist dragging along his female partner. In some cases, they both look new to it. These cases are identifiable by the fact they're both usually found prostrate and hyperventilating at the roadside.

I've seen a fair number of oldies sail by on swanky electric bikes.

« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2020, 06:32:32 pm »

I mean, sure.  She probably doesn't even want a twitchy bike with silly pedals and brake levers you can't reach properly.  But at least have the decency to put the slower rider in front.  Exceptions allowed for riding ahead for a hedge inspection, opening a Silly Sustrans Gate or perhaps doing multiple hill reps in the interests of general masochism.
Mrs Dan has watched enough cycle racing that she would never fall for me draughting her.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2020, 06:36:27 pm »
TBH, I wasn't really thinking about wind.  The ones going fast enough for drafting to make a difference tend not to have the same look of fedupness on the slower rider.

Of course, the solution is to put the slower rider on a nice upright e-bike and draft that.   ;D

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2020, 07:42:04 am »
The daily commute is still in force. Usually on the road coming in, and just let the Brompton go where it pleases on the way back. I've ridden stretches of bridleway I've not seen in years!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: 23 April, 2020, 06:55:11 pm »
I'm mainly slipping off to the garden shed and using the Keiser cycle that I bought several years ago when I broke my wrist just before PBP and needed to keep fit while it mended.  Some mornings I'll do intervals for 45 minutes or so, listening to loud music; other days I stick on a DVD and ride at a steady pace for 90-120 minutes. 

However, I have taken advantage of London being very quiet on Sunday mornings and done a few little runs into the centre and cruised around a bit. Plenty of cyclists but no sign of the bunching that the press has been claiming.

Even caught sight of Adamski OTP out on a jog on one occasion. :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #31 on: 26 April, 2020, 10:53:08 am »
Thinking I might get to the Alps this summer I bought a turbo trainer when lockdown loomed.  Before that I was enjoying trips to the N. York Moors and Wolds. In January and February.

Realistically I have zero chance of reaching Switzerland, Italy and France before 2021 but I keep up the turbo work and just get out on roads for shopping.  Usually towing a trailer.

Mrs A stopped cycling years ago for health reasons so we get out for walks. I did try to get her to choose an e-bike before CV19 appeared but it didn't happen.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #32 on: 26 April, 2020, 11:37:55 am »
Plenty of cyclists but no sign of the bunching that the press has been claiming.

Doesn't mean it isn't happening though.

Sometimes my run takes me over towards the river, as I come back I'm running directly towards Lower Richmond Road at the far end of Putney (by Putney Common). On a sunny day I'll probably see 3 or 4 groups of 8+ cyclists going out towards Barnes in just the 3 minutes I'm jogging towards the road. This would have been a common route to go towards Richmond Park (now shut to cyclists) so I guess they're all off down towards the Surrey lanes or hills.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #33 on: 26 April, 2020, 12:01:31 pm »
My rides also include buying milk from a farm machine and delivering prescriptions round the parish.
Reine de la Fauche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 26 April, 2020, 07:06:55 pm »
Plenty of cyclists but no sign of the bunching that the press has been claiming.

Sometimes my run takes me over towards the river, as I come back I'm running directly towards Lower Richmond Road at the far end of Putney (by Putney Common). On a sunny day I'll probably see 3 or 4 groups of 8+ cyclists going out towards Barnes in just the 3 minutes I'm jogging towards the road. This would have been a common route to go towards Richmond Park (now shut to cyclists) so I guess they're all off down towards the Surrey lanes or hills.
Two of the numerous roadies who overtook me today were in close formation. They might have been a household, I've no idea; looked a bit like father and adult son. But they were also the only cyclists I saw today – and I saw lots – who did three things:
–snotting on the go
–stopping on a blind bend then starting off without a rear glance
–when one had a mechanical on a narrow, steepish, gritty lane, the other stopped next to him with bike sideways leaving just enough space for me to wriggle through. Had I been one of the family groups I saw (trailgators etc) no way would they have got through.

Some people are just careless or don't care.

« Reply #35 on: 30 April, 2020, 04:42:01 pm »

It's said that our charming tabloids use a zoom lens which as we know makes distant objects look closer together.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #36 on: 30 April, 2020, 05:08:15 pm »
There is actual evidence of this in one of the Francis Cade videos. There's a picture on the front page of the Times with him in it, looking like he's riding in a bunch. He has video of exactly that point on the road, showing he's about 3m behind the nearest rider and they are strung out all over the road.

« Reply #37 on: 30 April, 2020, 05:22:53 pm »

It's said that our charming tabloids use a zoom lens which as we know makes distant objects look closer together.

Sorry, I'm not sure what that's got to do with what I wrote.

To be clear, I'm seeing groups of riders in a double paceline (so ~1m from the rider to their side and another 3 pairs riding very close behind). Nothing to do with the angle I'm looking at them, some were passing within 20 yards of me and it's obvious they are riding and chatting together.

Of course they could all be from the same household, but seeing multiple sets of 8+ riders "from the same household" within the space of a few minutes is unlikely.

« Reply #38 on: 03 May, 2020, 07:25:43 pm »
I’ve been trying to keep my riding as per usual, just modifying the loops to stay within walking distance of base.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #39 on: 03 May, 2020, 07:43:32 pm »
Done about 1000km on the turbo. Learning how to train again instead of just going out for a ride, something I haven't done for many years.

« Reply #40 on: 06 May, 2020, 06:59:14 am »
I'm  riding 3-4 times a week  for 1-2hrs. I live alone and cycle on my own. Most of my cycling is on lanes I wave at other cyclists and say hello  when  I pass people in villages . I think my cycling is one of the things that is keeping  me sane.

« Reply #41 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:56:34 pm »
What is people's take on 'unlimited exercise' being permitted from Wednesday, if you live in England?   What does it mean for cyclists, and will this change your current lockdown riding regime?   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 11 May, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »
What is people's take on 'unlimited exercise' being permitted from Wednesday, if you live in England?   What does it mean for cyclists, and will this change your current lockdown riding regime?

It's basically no change to the rules, so it won't be changing my behaviour, other than perhaps the possibility of accompanying barakta on her few-hundred-metre walk on the same day as I go for a bike ride.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 11 May, 2020, 02:47:44 pm »
I think it means the roads will be busier, including the pavements, and social distancing while on foot will become even more difficult than now.

« Reply #44 on: 11 May, 2020, 03:01:50 pm »

I haven't ridden since a commute home on March 13th and I don't think that'll change any time soon.

I'm mostly constrained by time. Between my wife working part time, me working almost full time, and then home schooling and otherwise entertaining a 10yo there's not much time to spare.

The primary focus of the UK policy remains "stay at home" (even if they've misspelled it as "stay alert") and given I have no pressing need to go out on the bike there's no need to add that to my exercise regime.

The main change will be that on the days I go for run I can also go for an evening walk with my wife and daughter. Whilst there was no law forbidding multiple exercise activities in a day in England I was trying to keep to the guidance as best I could.

(If you want to get pedantic with the law/guidance argument then please point to the legislation that defines the social distancing requirements. Hint: there aren't any in the law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/129/contents/made but I don't think anyone here would argue that everyone could just ignore social distancing because it's not the law.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 11 May, 2020, 03:35:01 pm »
Road.cc have published a summary of the effect of new guidance. It might or might not be legally accurate, but that when did you last see a policeman? The effect is to change (or not to change) what people think they can get away with and what they think they might seriously ill from.
https://road.cc/content/news/qa-how-have-lockdown-rules-changed-gb-cyclists-273411

« Reply #46 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:43:15 am »
I'm half inclined to cycle up to the Severn Crossing and see if I get turned around at the border.  ::-)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #47 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:46:55 am »
Tell us how you get on.  You need a big Welsh flag on your rack and sing 'Land of my Fathers' as you cross the border!
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #48 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:37:16 pm »
Road.cc have published a summary of the effect of new guidance. It might or might not be legally accurate, but that when did you last see a policeman? The effect is to change (or not to change) what people think they can get away with and what they think they might seriously ill from.
https://road.cc/content/news/qa-how-have-lockdown-rules-changed-gb-cyclists-273411

It's also brilliantly contradictory:-

Can I ride with people from different households at a distance of 2 metres or more?

In England, as from Wednesday you will be allowed to exercise with  you are now allowed to exercise with "up to one person from outside your household." [Updated]. However, in Scotland and Wales, restrictions on exercising alone, or with other members of your household, still apply.

So yes, in England, it seems you can.

But, further down...

Can I ride with people from different households at a distance of 2 metres or more?

No you cannot, whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales. In all three countries, you must only exercise alone or with household members.

You should also adhere to social distancing guidance of at least 2 metres from non-household members although, as we have explained previously, when you encounter another cyclist ahead of you on the road, you need to leave more space than that.

No you can't in England.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:57:03 pm »
How helpful. People are, I fear, going to decide for themselves, according to their own personal balance of frustration vs risk perception, and they'll all get it wrong, whether their main concern is to be legal, safe or something else.