Author Topic: Rides out during covid  (Read 17351 times)

Re: Rides out during covid
« Reply #75 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:07:30 pm »
It may prove accedemic as the sun ez3 is in the cycle shop needing new axle bearings and axle and the bafang motors bearings seem to be on the way out and  it seems like that means that the whole motor will need replacing. I may give up on e assist as it seems to be not very reliable and expensive to repair  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #76 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:14:56 pm »

Don't listen to the peeple who sit inside on their computers and tell tales of what the outside world is like.  They don't represent reality

Very true

Is this the turning point, when we start to agree on things?  ;D
Keep your enemies closer, they say.

Don't worry; I've been agreeing with her on most things COVID - doesn't mean I have to like her. And it doesn't mean I can't disown the bu99er at any time.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #77 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:02:40 pm »

Don't listen to the peeple who sit inside on their computers and tell tales of what the outside world is like.  They don't represent reality

Very true

Is this the turning point, when we start to agree on things?  ;D
Keep your enemies closer, they say.

Don't worry; I've been agreeing with her on most things COVID - doesn't mean I have to like her. And it doesn't mean I can't disown the bu99er at any time.

Her?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #78 on: 12 January, 2021, 11:02:04 pm »
This weekend I will be mainly doing circuits of Chineham.  (returns to shed with grimace on face).
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #79 on: 13 January, 2021, 09:41:52 am »

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 13 January, 2021, 11:01:51 pm »

Her?
I always thought Karla was a girl's* name. The cyclist in question has never clarified the situation, so I'm still open-minded.

*although not in Le Carre books, but what does he know eh?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 13 January, 2021, 11:06:22 pm »

I always thought Karla was a girl's* name. The cyclist in question has never clarified the situation, so I'm still open-minded.

How does it affect your responses to said person?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #82 on: 13 January, 2021, 11:19:53 pm »

How does it affect your responses to said person?
Sorry Ian - it's late, that's gone completely over my head  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Davef

« Reply #83 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:01:11 am »

Her?

*although not in Le Carre books, but what does he know eh?
The trauma of discovering the girl you have been chatting to online has a moustache and beard.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #84 on: 14 January, 2021, 12:07:53 pm »
Kindly don't start posting real names on the forum  ::-)

« Reply #85 on: 14 January, 2021, 12:13:51 pm »
Kindly don't start posting real names on the forum  ::-)

Apologies, removed. Having said that, it can't be that hard to find out if I knew it (and I didn't go looking for it).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #86 on: 14 January, 2021, 12:42:25 pm »
Well no it isn't that hard to find out, I'm not relying on this pseudonym to hide my identity, but having my real and forum names discussed side by side is a step too far.

Davef

« Reply #87 on: 14 January, 2021, 01:00:05 pm »
Well no it isn't that hard to find out, I'm not relying on this pseudonym to hide my identity, but having my real and forum names discussed side by side is a step too far.
A website with your name on in your forum profile would get you thrown out of secret agent school.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #88 on: 14 January, 2021, 01:23:33 pm »
A website with your name on in your forum profile would get you thrown out of secret agent school.

They really won't like it when they find out at Moscow Centre.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #89 on: 14 January, 2021, 02:09:11 pm »
Do you still have the lighter?

Le Carre-fest at the moment - reading A Perfect Spy and watched TTSS at the weekend
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #90 on: 14 January, 2021, 07:46:16 pm »

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #91 on: 18 January, 2021, 11:10:21 am »
This weekend I will be mainly doing circuits of Chineham.  (returns to shed with grimace on face).
I thought it was acceptable to admit you lived in Basingrad Amazingstoke these days?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #92 on: 18 January, 2021, 12:01:36 pm »
A couple of great wee runs at the weekend.  A spin on the tandem up round Killearn, where we tried the church hall coffee hatch and we had tattie scone and scrambled egg bagels in the bus shelter.
An extended campsies loop with eldest son on the Sunday and got back home just as the rain came on properly.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #93 on: 18 January, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »
Went out for the first time this year yesterday,  riding solo,  not comfortable meeting up with anyone.  Didn't stop anywhere, seems like unnecessary risk. Took snacks,  but not viable to eat them with the big winter gloves on.

Much lower risk than going for a run in my local park.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #94 on: 18 January, 2021, 05:02:34 pm »
Went out for the first time this year yesterday,  riding solo,  not comfortable meeting up with anyone.  Didn't stop anywhere, seems like unnecessary risk. Took snacks,  but not viable to eat them with the big winter gloves on.

Gloves off, open the packaging on your snack. Gloves back on. Eat snack.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #95 on: 18 January, 2021, 05:28:27 pm »

But if I stop is it a picnic?
More seriously with thinner gloves or mitts i would have eaten while riding, but by the time I was hungry it seemed so close to the end it wasn't worth stopping.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #96 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:17:40 pm »

But if I stop is it a picnic?
More seriously with thinner gloves or mitts i would have eaten while riding, but by the time I was hungry it seemed so close to the end it wasn't worth stopping.

The police will not care if you are sat on your bike and on your own.

« Reply #97 on: 22 January, 2021, 09:00:03 am »
I would use a roller if I could afford and get one. I managed 3 miles today needing to visit the bank, large tesco for a charging lead for my phone and local shop for food supplies. I am worried about my fitness as cycling is the only exercise I can do with any degree of comfort (other than swimming which is out at present anyway)

I have some rollers up in my loft that are yours for the price of postage, if you would like them. I'd need to have a look to remind me what make they are - nothing special, certainly, but they did the job. Just let me know.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #98 on: 22 January, 2021, 11:02:06 am »
If they are "real" rollers, they take a fair bit of balance and skill to ride.  It isn't like riding a bike!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #99 on: 22 January, 2021, 02:04:58 pm »
Especially on board ship.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll