Author Topic: new club - Audax West Midlands  (Read 20348 times)

new club - Audax West Midlands
« on: 27 June, 2016, 10:35:55 am »
This is something I have been thinking about for some time now.  Similar to Audax Club Bristol and Audax Club Hackney, is there a call for something in the West Midlands where we have in excess of 300 AUK members?

To begin with, I have arranged for an informal meeting on Tuesday 20th September at The Golden Lion pub on Ash Street, Bilston, Wolverhampton at 8pm where everyone is invited to discuss anything and see where it all leads to.

In the meantime, any discussions can begin here.

Re: new club - Audax West Midlands
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2016, 02:16:33 pm »
Like it :thumbsup:

But I do think that to call it Audax West Midlands is just to big an area.

Audax Club Hackney could have called their club Audax Club London.  Do you see what I mean?

how about Audax Club Birmingham or Audax Club Wolverhampton or even Black Country Audax?

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2016, 02:59:38 pm »
This sounds like an excellent plan, I've been looking to hook up with local Audax minded folk.

I second a preference for the name Black Country Audax, has a nice ring to it.

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »
Nice to have.  :thumbsup:

Black Country Audax sounds good, but Black Country is a small section...

I have no other/better suggestions but maybe someone could come up with something more witty/charming, have notice many smart people on here.

What would be the advantage of having a local club? Sorry for asking but I am quite new on the scene. A local club in a town I get = go riding together... on such a big area as WM? Would we organize some rides/more events or anything else?  :)

Thanks
What? Turn left that way?

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2016, 11:43:33 pm »
AC-BC  :demon:

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2016, 11:45:18 pm »
...for those about a rack

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:03:20 am »
Barakta's got the jersey for that (some marker pen may be required).

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:20:15 am »
I shouldn't worry too much about the size of the area.  Peak Audax stretches from at least Rochdale, across Manchester and down through the Peak District - and we haven't even got a jersey!

Good luck with it!

« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2016, 06:46:31 am »
Audax Club Mercia has a nice ring about it.

My Anglo Saxon geography isn't brilliant but the capital was in Tamworth and it covers all the area without being too specific. A nice nod to the classic Mercian bikes as well.

« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2016, 07:03:12 am »
What if you live on far flung borders, namely Herefordshire and actually just across into Wales ? Would eligibility for an Audax Club Mercia be accepted?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2016, 07:35:32 am »
What if you live on far flung borders, namely Herefordshire and actually just across into Wales ? Would eligibility for an Audax Club Mercia be accepted?

I'm just an interested observer throwing a possible name into the ring so I would have no say in the membership. However as a member of ACB living in what I like to think of as 'outer' Bristol I wouldn't see a problem.  :)

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2016, 07:56:13 am »
Yes recognise `Audax Club Mercia` is a suggested name but somehow sounds good and much more inclusive of `West Midlands` than Black Country Audax which is firmly identified with quite a limited and highly populated area.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:25:49 am »
The county of West Midlands, created in 1974, was formed from parts of Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Warwickshire.
So there you have it. Shropshire is not in. Nor is Herefordshire, Cheshire or Gloucestershire.

And also, Wrekin is not in, although we’re often round it.

« Reply #13 on: 28 June, 2016, 09:22:55 am »
As a Staffordshire Rider I'd be interested in this. I agree Black Country Audax has a good ring to it.

« Reply #14 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:04:33 am »
Just an aside:  one of the most prominent clubs in Audax (though it is a "normal" cycling club) is VC 167, which takes its name from the A167, the old Great North Road.  Its heartland is the glorious county of Durham but it has members from Newcastle down to Norfolk and over to Harrogate, Manchester and Ulverston.  Call it something with a nice ring to it and keep membership open seems to be the key!

Peter

« Reply #15 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:13:13 am »
Audax Club Mercia sounds good too, and does actually cover my location.

Even though the Black Country is very specific, and many of us won't really be there, I like that it would give a focal point, and AC-BC would make for splendid jersey potential that would also be a nod to the Black Country's musical heritage (okay mebbe it's a nod to some Aussies and a Geordie, but you know what I mean).

Whatever gets decided, I'm likely to be in

« Reply #16 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:22:08 am »
What about,

‘Audax  Black Country McBlack Countryface’?

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #17 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:47:53 am »
Wolverhampton is 'the capital of' the old southern Staff's Hundred of Seisdon.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Hundreds/Seisdon.

I rather liked Jethro's collective name for his perms 'Wondering Wolves'. Wondering Wolves Audax Club

Terrific!

« Reply #18 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:50:38 am »

I rather liked Jethro's collective name for his perms 'Wondering Wolves'. Wondering Wolves Audax Club

Terrific!

Audax Wondering Wulfric.

That's Spott on. Not only did he go round the Wrekin, he also went for a Burton.

« Reply #19 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:51:56 am »

Terrific!

Good name, but I suspect might not be popular with anyone from West Bromwich

« Reply #20 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »
Some really good suggestions coming in although I do like the AC/BC (even if it is one of my favourite bands)  :demon:

I do hope you can all attend on 20th September.

« Reply #21 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:29:10 pm »
I see on Streetview, the pub has an offer of 'Buy 5 pints, get one free.'

Is that still on?

« Reply #22 on: 28 June, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »
I dont think it is Jim, but I will buy you a pint if you turn up.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #23 on: 28 June, 2016, 07:28:01 pm »
Shouldn't all of these regions have had a vote before deciding to secede from AUK?  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #24 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »
We started off as a group of four AUKs who happened to live in Hackney. We met on one of Dave Hudsons' rides in 2012. None of us are Londoners (Gadget is from Yorkshire, Jonah is from Dorset, Sharpie is from Wiltshire and Brommers is from Hell). The aim was to share journey/accom fees to-and-from local events.  Although not a CC in the original sense, we do all the usual things that a CC does and have a f*****g good laugh along the way.