Author Topic: Open Office: is it poo?  (Read 15949 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Open Office: is it poo?
« on: 18 February, 2009, 02:32:38 pm »
In an attempt so avoid having to buy MS Office for my daughter's laptop as the poor dear has been struggling with Microshaft Works for the past year or so :-\

So, I downloaded Open Office only to find that it can't open Microshaft Works .wps files.

Open Office is poo!

Unless, dear reader, you have any advice. :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Re: Open Office: is it poo?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »
I think you'll find that Works is poo, not openoffice.

Hope that helps.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:40:22 pm »
Yup - I can't really see anyone making much of an effort to support Works. I thought it had been dead for years.

...and was a total pile of crap when it was available.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

FatBloke

« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »
I was fully aware of that, hence the move to OO.

Looks like I'll be uninstalling OO and popping down to PCWorld with me credit card!  >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:42:59 pm »
I was fully aware of that, hence the move to OO.

Looks like I'll be uninstalling OO and popping down to PCWorld with me credit card!  >:(

As she is a Stoooodent, she should be able to get the Student and Teacher edition of Office which is cheaper and has lots of stoodenty type software thrown in.

Check otu details online before you go...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »
Can you send the Works file to someone with Office who could import & save it as an Office file (.xls, .doc or whatever)? You could then open the Office file with Open Office.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:44:06 pm »
I goggled for "Microsoft Works .wps"
and apparently there is a free online conversion service for these files to odt

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:44:18 pm »
Could you save your works files as .DOCs .XLTs etc, then open them in OO?

Just a thought, and possibly a bit time consuming. No idea if would work.

Craig

« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »
Or get Go-OO: Your Office Suite
Its an improved / patched version of OpenOffice, and includes support for importing MS Works files (plus quite a few other extra features).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:49:25 pm »
From Expert-Sexchange: "For wps text files which you specified in the title, this from FILExt - The File Extension Source - Some versions of Word will open some versions of these Works files; for others a converter may be needed. One is available as the file WP6RTF.EXE from Microsoft. Go to the Microsoft Office main site and search using the words "works to word converter" (without the quotes) and various locations for older converters no longer available should pop up. Once you convert to doc, Open Office should be able to open them, otherwise save them as text files (txt) with works. Then anything will open them."
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rae

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:53:28 pm »
If all of her friends and teachers use OO, then it will be fine.

If they use office, then they will see random formatting errors on some documents when they read them.   Eventually she will get bored of getting told off for screwing up her tables, and beg you to buy a student copy of office.

FatBloke

« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »

If they use office, then they will see random formatting errors on some documents when they read them.   Eventually she will get bored of getting told off for screwing up her tables, and beg you to buy a student copy of office.
MS Office it will have to be.   >:(

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:00:39 pm »

MS Office it will have to be.   >:(

yellow-ceitidh uses OO for all her skoolwurk and doesn't get any stick from her teachers (and most of them use MS Office).

« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:04:52 pm »
As a proof reader/editor, I find OO a bit clunkier than Word, but I look at the price tag and smile...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2009, 03:42:47 pm »
I open MS files via Ubuntu Linux, and the Open Office Programme and save them as Open Office files.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2009, 04:07:48 pm »

Er surely the same is true of any differing installs of MS Office.  If it is a different version or the fonts are different or the phases of the moon are different then the layout gets screwed up.

OO doesn't seem any better or worse for this

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2009, 06:31:06 pm »
Even office struggles with Works files :p
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #17 on: 18 February, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »
I would go for OO these days

However - if you must have ms, then home/student edition can be had for £60 which buys you the right to install on up to 3 machines - which is not bad.
Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) (PC): Microsoft: Amazon.co.uk: Software

Or there are student only versions available at around £40 for 2 pc's

Software4Students.co.uk: Microsoft Office 2007 Standard edition, microsoft software

rae

« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »
Er surely the same is true of any differing installs of MS Office.  If it is a different version or the fonts are different or the phases of the moon are different then the layout gets screwed up. 

This used to be the case, I haven't noticed it for a number of years now.   Microsoft have got pretty good at compatability packs. 

I haven't used OO in a while (a year or so), but it utterly hosed a big Word document that I tested it with.  To be fair, most of the word stuff was OK.   Power point was hopeless.   The lack of bomb proof VBA makes Excel a bit useless as well. 

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:15:14 pm »
Mac or Windows?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:20:46 pm »
Works is just a way to get Word, with a load of crap thrown in.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »
OO Can be made to save files as .doc/.xls etc by default which does help when transferring files to PCs with MS Office on  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:42:33 pm »

Random formating errors are part and parcel of MS Office's normal modus operandi anyway (e.g. documents on-screen will format/paginate differently depending on which printer drivers you have installed). granted that with OO, they will also see some additional ones that are the result of MS's lack of documentation for their proprietary formats.

If people care about the layout and formatting they need to use a proper typesetting engine and an output format that preserves layout (DVI, PS, PDF etc.)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #23 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:54:51 pm »
Stick with OpenOffice. I'm convinced that, 5 or 10 years from now, OpenOffice will be the standard, and you won't dare email anyone files generated in MS Office, for fear of the formatting being screwed up... Well, I hope so, anyway, because I hate to see people paying for inferior software because "it's what everyone else uses".  ::-)

inc

« Reply #24 on: 18 February, 2009, 07:55:12 pm »
No it is not poo, far from it. There has been an ongoing saga with plenty of bribery and corruption by MS of national standards organisations so MS can get it's "open" OOXML file format approved by ISO because the rest of the world is waking up to the fact that closed file formats such as .wps are at the mercy of MS. Whatever you do don't continue with MS crap, OO uses ODF ( an ISO standard) which can be opened by the latest MS Office. OO will do anything MS Office can do and will save, if required in MS formats. I have hundreds of .doc and .xls documents all of which converted to .odf without problems. IBM also do a free office suite ( based on OO ) IBM Lotus Symphony