Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134500 times)

whosatthewheel

Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020
« on: 15 August, 2017, 05:01:32 pm »
Date is out already on the AUK calendar... 19-20 of May.

Application is in the post already, I have even found my chequebook which I last used 5 years ago!

"cancellable" budget room booked in Chepstow for the 18th... I'm so efficient!  8)

Who's in?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:11:32 pm »
Blimey!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:12:23 pm »
So tempting. Loved this ride this year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:19:21 pm »
Possibly, what's the weather forecast like?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
As Blacksheep often says: "weather guaranteed!"

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:51:16 pm »

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:14:40 pm »
This is slightly mad. Too early for me to decide if I want to ride. I normally get all organising about christmas. Why has the closing date been set so early. IMHO it would have been better to open the entries at about January to me a chance to decide about riding.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:41:03 pm »
This is slightly mad. Too early for me to decide if I want to ride. I normally get all organising about christmas. Why has the closing date been set so early. IMHO it would have been better to open the entries at about January to me a chance to decide about riding.

BB

Early entries give the organiser room to plan better. On the other hand it increases the rate of DNS, as people rush into decisions. I agree, August is too early, maybe January a bit late. I had planned for it to be on the 12-13, which would have been problematic, so when I saw it is on the 19-20 I jumped in

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:59:13 pm »
It seems a bit silly for what's essentially just a bike ride. If it's really such an issue, perhaps it's time to run it twice a year?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:14:31 pm »
Us on the Continent have abandoned cheques in the 20th century, is there a more modern way to pay? (I don't think it's legal to send banknotes by post and besides, I only have left #20 after LEL)

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:21:19 pm »
It seems a bit silly for what's essentially just a bike ride. If it's really such an issue, perhaps it's time to run it twice a year?

You volunteering?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »
Blimey!

Did I publish it too early?

For fear of upsetting any sensitive club members, I can't comment on that.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:12:53 pm »
This is slightly mad. Too early for me to decide if I want to ride
Easy to guarantee a place. Enter it now. Pay up. Then you're certain to have the choice of riding or not. £45 is the price of a couple of bike chains. Or one meal out with wine.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:22:53 pm »
Interesting move to insist on full AUK membership... I see Ritchie just does postal entry but I wonder if that is possible on line as well?

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:31:10 pm »
Probably time I volunteered to help on this, having ridden it for six straight years.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
Us on the Continent have abandoned cheques in the 20th century, is there a more modern way to pay? (I don't think it's legal to send banknotes by post and besides, I only have left #20 after LEL)

Pretty sure it is legal. Children have been receiving notes from relatives in birthday cards for as long as I can remember. It's not recommended due to lack of security.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2017, 05:59:10 am »
I suspect YHA in Dolgellau want their money early, hence the timeline. Multiply £42 x 200 and you get in excess of 8 grand budget... some of it will need to be spent well in advance. It's different whether you have to commit a couple of hundred or 5 grand

Re. Paypal, again, they charge a fee in line with the market... I think it's 4% of the transaction... so on 8 grand that works out at 320 pounds, which is probably not a million miles off the budget require to stock a control. Cheques + stamps cost nothing, only manpower, which is done for free...

Moral, with a cheque you get 4% more fun for your money.

Being a bit OCD, I did enjoy assembling on the bits and posting them... there is something satisfying that pressing a key on a computer cannot replicate, but maybe it is just me...  ::-) ;D

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:05:11 am »

Being a bit OCD, I did enjoy assembling on the bits and posting them... there is something satisfying that pressing a key on a computer cannot replicate, but maybe it is just me...  ::-) ;D

I have to admit I rather miss getting envelopes back in the post with route sheets and brevet cards.  Online and instant validation lack a bit of the romance but I'm just a saddo!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:50:39 am »
Interesting move to insist on full AUK membership... I see Ritchie just does postal entry but I wonder if that is possible on line as well?

That'll stop the forrin Jonnies.

Hopefully this isn't the start of a new trend and we have to become members of each national organisation if we want to ride abroad.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:52:19 am »
To ride some international brevets, you have to become members of a specific club e.g. some parts of the USA.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #20 on: 16 August, 2017, 08:32:18 am »
Controversially I am in favour of membership only for over-subscribed events. Membership has to be worth for something other than a quarterly magazine and access to the points system. 99% of the events in the calendar are open to everyone, so it's not that AUK is an exclusive club.

Moreover, with a mambership only system the rate of DNS should be lower, at least in principle.

BTW: when is the new Arrivee due to come out?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #21 on: 16 August, 2017, 09:53:57 am »
I've sent an inquiry to Ritchie whether paying with a bank transfer would be an option, we'll see. It is in fact legal to send money using the postal services in the Netherlands and the UK, but not in some other countries. Coins are a no-go anyway as it fouls up the Royal Mail sorting machines.

Paying a surcharge for using Paypal would be perfectly acceptable to me, but I understand there are other drawbacks (besides the commission) with Paypal for the organiser.

« Reply #22 on: 16 August, 2017, 10:36:05 am »
Controversially I am in favour of membership only for over-subscribed events. Membership has to be worth for something other than a quarterly magazine and access to the points system. 99% of the events in the calendar are open to everyone, so it's not that AUK is an exclusive club.

Moreover, with a mambership only system the rate of DNS should be lower, at least in principle.

I await to be convinced on the DNS issue but I fully agree on the membership point.  I'd be inclined to be flexible about overseas associations but I think showing commitment to the club should have some reward.  Had I thought about this for London Wales London earlier and it were possible to manage all this on-line I think I might have gone for this.

« Reply #23 on: 16 August, 2017, 10:41:56 am »
I'm in. Booked non refundable Severn View Travelodge for Friday and Sunday. Just need to find my chequebook

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: 16 August, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
I think you'll find that overseas visitors will be welcomed on BCM, especially if they are members of their own national randonneuring organisation;
but ultimately it's the organiser's event, and the organiser can set their own restrictions (subject to AUK approval, as per Reg 7.3)

BTW: when is the new Arrivee due to come out?
Soon(ish) - I gather there have been some difficulties to resolve.