Author Topic: Photos whilst recumbent  (Read 6377 times)

Phil W

Photos whilst recumbent
« on: 27 September, 2016, 07:54:43 pm »
What do others do for photos on the recumbent whilst still moving? On the upright grabbing my waterproof camera out of a jersey pocket is quick and easy. But grabbing from a pocket would be fraught with challenges whilst reclined. I wondered if a polaroid cube stuck directly to the frame in front of the seat would work? The frame is steel and the cube is said to have a strong magnet, no other hardware required. Thoughts?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Photos whilst recumbent
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2016, 08:17:13 pm »
I did, for a while, have a don't-care-if-I-break-it cheap camera with a lanyard that I used for this on group rides a few times.

But mostly I just fail to take photographs.

Pocket issues can be circumvented with recumbent-specific jerseys, those fishing/photography utility vests, bum bags, etc.  On something like an ICE trike you can get a thingy to mount a bar bag off to one side of the seat.  Or lightly-loaed banana bags can be rummaged in without spilling their contents.

Action camera on the bike doesn't seem like a bad idea, if you're after those kind of photos/video.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2016, 09:07:48 pm »
I've managed ok

http://photos.woollypigs.com/bicycles_cycling/out-for-a-wee-pootle/

I clip it to my belt, lay it across my belly, when no traffic and not going up hill, grab it and point and shoot.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2016, 09:57:18 pm »
Any top with breast pocket - lots of softshell tops, windshells or waterproof jackets have vertical zip chest pocket. Shirts with collars have breast pockets perfect for a camera and one looks so not like a proper cyclist...or if all else fails a bum bag on the wrong way round. Once you can steer with one hand you can snap away.....a whole new World with feet in the foreground
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2016, 10:00:58 pm »
We should have a feet in the foreground thread in The Gallery

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2016, 11:17:11 pm »
The jacket idea and breast pocket will work through winter but I prefer lighweight shirts with little or no zips all other times. I was wonder if there something I could use as quick release holster. The lanyard is an idea. Eta for deliver is 15th October so I guess I can try some of the DIY, already got the bits type solutions soon.

Mr Peli is that just a standard compact with a long lanyard?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2016, 11:47:44 am »
Mr Peli is that just a standard compact with a long lanyard?
Yes, pretty much. The point and shoot, Limux FS16, lives in a softshell cage which have a lanyard. To which I have attacked the cameras little lanyard too (mainly to avoid mislaying either from the other). I then clip the lanyard to the cheap climbing carabiner attached to my belt. When camera isn't in use it is in the softshell in my pocket. When in use I take it out of the softshell and pay the lanyard and camera across my belly. So the softshell and carabiner is the anchor on the other other side. This has worked just fine for the pootles I have done.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2016, 12:06:35 pm »
Maybe a top tube bag, or Alpkit Stem Cell, if you have a suitable tube to attach it to?

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2016, 02:58:28 pm »
Well I've gone for a cube coz' it's tiny and lightweight. Plus one for sale for £50 might have swayed it.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2016, 05:40:00 pm »
^^^^^ nice

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2016, 07:14:05 pm »
Been thinking about getting a Contour Roam3 action camera for stills and some video on the trike.

« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2016, 07:32:08 pm »
No photos to show for it but during a late ride from Glasgow to Helensburgh last night I spotted 3 meteorites. I attribute this good fortune to both the fine clear sky and being laidback as I doubt that I'd have seen them if riding head down on the road bike. :P

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:27:38 pm »
20161015_173039 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Cheeting a little bit as I only had my phone not a proper camera and I can't opperare the phone camera while moving. I was a nice Autum ride along the 754 between Edinburgh and Glasgow so worthy of a photo :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 23 October, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2016, 10:52:43 pm »
Good efforts. Impressed on a canal with Autumn leaves. I'll need to be very confident before I ride along a canal one handed on slippy leaves.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:07:05 pm »
I'd need to be very confident before I rode along a canal.... never mind some leaves or being one-handed!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #17 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »
I actually find it rather stable, yes the first few weeks I wobbled as I passed people on the canal. I think the main reason was that, I wasn't sure how wide the bike is and where the front wheel was, as I couldn't see it. Now about 610 miles into my life on a bent I feel ok when passing people. One handed is getting easier, now that I have learned to relax, though I don't think I'll ever master no handed :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 24 October, 2016, 02:09:33 pm »
One-handed on a 'bent is no different from two-handed, as you aren't bearing weight on the bars.

Canals and leaves and such are a matter of confidence in the bike.  I generally prefer an upwrong for that sort of thing on account of the better manoeuvrability, but a recumbent can be reassuring in as much that it tends to be less nasty if you do fall off.  (Also, the Streetmachine is the only bike I've successfully recovered from front-wheel skids on.  Some quirk of the geometry, I think.)

No-handed doesn't really work on 'bents, as you've no real way to steer it.  Best case it goes in a random direction.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 24 October, 2016, 03:04:40 pm »
No-hands is generally to be avoided except for very short periods such as moving one's paws from one set of grips to t'other but I've come across the odd one which could be ridden hands-off for extended periods (excluding Flevobike-type nonsense which is meant to be piloted thus).  Dave Richards' Kestrel low-racer only needed the bars for the hairpin during a lap of Darley Moor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2016, 04:07:43 pm »
I've not worked up the confidence to take a bottle out on the move yet with the M5, had got to that point with the ICE B2 before selling it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:14:19 pm »
No-handed doesn't really work on 'bents, as you've no real way to steer it.  Best case it goes in a random direction.
Depending on the roads surface and camber, I'm OK hands off at low speed on my bent trike.
Lean left to track right and right to track left.
Works best at walking speed uphill.
At higher speeds I cannot shift my CoG far enough to straighten the path.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:20:44 pm »
Trikes don't count  :P

« Reply #23 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:32:35 pm »
I had another go at taking photos on the move last weeked, not easy with a phone camera what with all that swipping nonsense. Should pick up a cheap compact.
IMG_20170409_105902217 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr
IMG_20170409_105906437 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr
IMG_20170409_104755506 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr

« Reply #24 on: 10 April, 2017, 07:56:01 pm »
While on the topic of recumbents and photos has anyone else here increasingly found themselves being the subject of unwanted photographs?

It’s happened to me four times (to my knowledge at least) in the past couple of weeks.  The first was a car slowing right down beside me while I was riding along one of Newcastle’s busy city centre dual carriageways.  I turned to see what his problem was only to find that I was being photographed, or maybe videoed by the passenger.

A similar thing happened just as I was leaving the small village of Lochgoilhead about a week ago. This time a big black Audi ran alongside me on a road that was barely wide enough for such a manoeuvre just so the passenger could get a couple of photos.

Then just yesterday while out on the bent with the tandem club the same sort of thing happened twice.

It can’t just be me can it? Anyone else regularly find themselves on the end of an unwanted camera?