Author Topic: Yet another Coast to Coast  (Read 10657 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yet another Coast to Coast
« on: 28 August, 2008, 03:31:06 pm »
Mrs Wow, some friends and I will be C2Cing between 28th Oct and 3rd Nov. The cycling will be from St. Bees on 29/10 to Robin Hoods Bay on 1/11.

Our rail tickets from Southend to St. Bees work out at £22 each, from Scarborough to Southend, £29.50 each.

This should be a larf and a harf. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Yet another Coast to Coast
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »
I'll look out for Santa onna bike if you are passing near us.

On second thoughts, feel free to drop in for tea and CAKE if you are passing...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2008, 05:43:39 pm »
Oh that's a shame.  You're just 30 years too late.

To meet my brother who was then the Youth Hostel Warden at Boggle Hole.
Youth Hostel, Boggle Hole - Local Information - YHA
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2008, 07:25:23 pm »
If you're passing through Alston. I reccommend the cafe on the hill going out southwards to Yad Moss. It's on the right up the hill, exactly where the cobblestones turn to tarmac. Very good fish and chips. :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2008, 07:28:59 pm »
If you go this way, don't forget to go into Parkhead Station cafe and post your time up Crawleyside Bank:

http://www.parkheadstation.co.uk/

What route are you taking?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2008, 10:43:37 am »
Good one, Wow.  Hope it's brilliant for you.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2008, 08:24:23 pm »
I've sorted out the accommodation for this mallarkey now. We are staying at

Tues 28th Oct The Manor House Hotel & C2C Bar - Jim & Maz will welcome you to The Happy Manor House Hotel St Bees
Wednesday 29th Oct Ullswater House | Guest house in Ullswater, the Lake District, UK
Thursday 30th October - Catterick Garrison, at the home of one of our number
Friday 31st October Home Page of the "Fox & Hounds" Ainthorpe
Saturday 1st November Staintondale B&B Guest Houses Plane Tree Cottage Near Scarborough Yorkshire Coast UK
Sunday 2nd November Bed Breakfast tariff Green Gables Hotel Scarborough self catering educational visits conferences family group accommodation

Booking accommodation on the Sat proved fairly tricky as it's Whitby Goth Weekend and lots of places were fully booked. Our trains arrive in St Bees at 1535 on Tues 28th, leave Scarborough at 10.45 on Monday 3rd.

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2008, 09:14:59 am »
Enjoy! And the offer of tea and cakes still stands, if you are passing.

Failing that, maybe we could arrange for a couple of beers on the Thursday night?  the Farmers in Scorton do a decent pint (or did the last time I was there) and food (will check on the second one).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2008, 09:20:38 am »
Thanks for the offer.

OUr proposed route is something like this although the overnighters are not at the ends of each section. Depending on what the others say, quite possibly a trip to Scorton on the Thursday might be in order.

Gmaps Pedometer

Gmaps Pedometer

Gmaps Pedometer Not this one
Gmaps Pedometer

Gmaps Pedometer
Gmaps Pedometer

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:27:35 am »

Tues 28th Oct The Manor House Hotel & C2C Bar - Jim & Maz will welcome you to The Happy Manor House Hotel St Bees
Wednesday 29th Oct Ullswater House | Guest house in Ullswater, the Lake District, UK
Saturday 1st November Staintondale B&B Guest Houses Plane Tree Cottage Near Scarborough Yorkshire Coast UK
Sunday 2nd November Bed Breakfast tariff Green Gables Hotel Scarborough self catering educational visits conferences family group accommodation

Booking accommodation on the Sat proved fairly tricky as it's Whitby Goth Weekend and lots of places were fully booked. Our trains arrive in St Bees at 1535 on Tues 28th, leave Scarborough at 10.45 on Monday 3rd.
Excellent, have you got your costumes and make-up sorted yet? Can we have pictures.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:31:39 am »

Excellent, have you got your costumes and make-up sorted yet? Can we have pictures.  ;D

Mrs. Wow and I have plenty of black lycra. Chain grease as eye makeup?

tiermat

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:33:45 am »
And don't forget to walk around like the weight of the world is on your shoulders....

Sounds like serious fun (the ride that is, not the Goth Weekend) and I am more than a little bit jealous....

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:03:48 am »
I grew up about 3 miles from St. Bees and I've spent many a night in The Queens pub, which has since closed down :( (Edit: apparently is has now reopened) that is across the street from The Manor.  There's not much to do in the village itself, but if you've the time I'd suggest walking along the cliffs.  Head north from the beach car park and you'll find the path.  It's part of Wainwright's coast-to-coast walk.

Dunno if you know this, but the Sustrans cycle path that goes from Whitehaven to Rowrah (which you'll join when you get to the A595) is tarmaced all the way apart from a section beyond Rowrah, which lasts for about 1.5 km.  That bit is hard packed earth and it's rideable on 23cc tyres, so you shouldn't have problems.  The un-tarmaced section starts here and finishes here.  If you do want to avoid that section you can do so by turning left and joining the A5086.  There are gates (that's the best picture I could find) on the cyclepath that are designed to allow bikes to pass but they block the way for motorbikes.

When climbing over the Winlatter Pass you have a choice of the main road (the B5292) or a minor road just south of the B5292, which is what the official C2C uses.  The minor road involves more climbing because you assend part of the pass, before dropping into a small valley and having climb back out of that again.  If you use the B5292 it is a busier you you don't lose any of your height during the climb.

The cycle path from Keswick that follows that River Greta isn't tarmaced at all, but even so it's a pretty decent surface.  That's a section just outside Keswick, where the railway line entered a now closed tunnel, that you're asked to walk as it's along a sort of boardwalk.

Be careful on the A66, it's a horrible road.  It's single carriageway for the majority of it's length, but it's the main road to west Cumbria, so carries a lot of traffic, which is often doing in excess of 60 mph along there and there are lots of sweeping bends.  It's best avoided as much as possible. 

If you want any more info, drop me a PM.  I hope you have great time  :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:39:20 am »
Good route - the climb out of Nateby is tough but worth it, since the views back over the Eden Valley to the Lakes and the Howgill Fells are spectacular.

And that bit of the NY Moors is hilly - my brake blocks melted a couple of years ago on those hills.  Especially Limber Hill, which I nearly had to walk down.  You, however, are going up it :o ;D

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2008, 11:43:51 am »
Not Limber hill again. Me thinks WB has already made a study of that hill in a previous thread and concluded that it is rather steep. I can vouch for that having walked up it with a bike.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:15:38 am »
I've spent the evening scanning & printing maps. Getting quite exccited about it now.

I was in the LBS this a.m. and they now stock Sealskins socks & gloves. I think Mrs. Wow and I might well part with a few £s before we set off.

Some of the N York Moors hills do seem to be rather steep. Good job we are going through the pan-flat Lake District. :D

alan

« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:30:56 am »
I am more than a little bit jealous....

Me too.

Coincidently,this journey was the topic of a discussion between myself & others of the YACF Massif on the recent Pendle Witches ride.

I look forward with anticipation to your ride report afterwards

Bon Voyage Wowbaggers :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:34:57 am »
having walked up it with a bike.  ;D

:o

Blood&Sand,it must steep.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 27 October, 2008, 09:56:41 pm »
Well, we are almost ready. The only drawbacks are the fact that I think I'm getting a cold, I've got arthritic pains in my left wrist and I feel knackered.

The weather forecast is quite promising - cold and bright, my favourite cycling weather, and guaranteed to clear the sinuses.

« Reply #19 on: 27 October, 2008, 10:18:04 pm »
Have a great ride both! Fingers crossed weather-wise.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 28 October, 2008, 10:19:01 am »
It will be fine, and the Goddess of the Pennines will lift you in her gentle fingers over the mightiest of peaks in your quest from sea to shining sea :)

Disclaimer:  Too much caffeine may have been used in the production of this comment
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 02 November, 2008, 02:22:07 pm »
That was one of the coldest, wettest, toughest rides I have ever attempted, and it was absolutely great! We are safe and warm in an hotel in Scarborough now, bikes tucked up and not to be ridden again until we go to the station tomorrow morning. We took a fair few photos and blow-by-blow accounts of our tales of derring-don't will follow when we are safely ensconced in Southend again.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: 02 November, 2008, 02:25:51 pm »
Oh, well done you two. Looking forward to seeing the blow by blow account. Safe journey home.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 03 November, 2008, 08:52:32 pm »
Tuesday 28th October

We awoke to a white frost and bright sunshine and after a quick breakfast we caught the 8.28 from Prittlewell. It was a tremendous shock to the system to arrive in London and compare it to the last time we rode there only 16 days previously: then the temperature was in the mid-70s and today it was below freezing.

Pendolinos are very badly designed trains. They certainly go fast, but there's not a lot of point to a luggage rack which is too close to the ceiling to accept even cycle panniers. The loos were not up to much and the cycle accommodation was inadequate, although we did manage to store the tandem there without dismantling it.

We met Annie at Carlisle and boarded the Barrow-bound train. After a period of dismal wetness as we passed through Warrington and Wigan, by the time we reached Wigton, Workington and Whitehaven the sun was shining brightly again. We had splendid views of the Solway firth and the Isle of Man to the south, and shortly we alighted at St. Bees where Jeff and Mick met us. We have known Jeff since college in the 1970s but Mick, his twin brother, was introduced to us later as a very accomplished amateur cook, curries a speciality. He also has an outlook on life which makes Marvin the Robot look like Mr. Happy. Annie is a friend of Jeff's and not to be confused with her namesake who has been known to grace this forum. Jan and I are the youngest of this intrepid quintet by quite some way.

We found the B & B and unloaded our luggage and in order to save time in the morning, we set off for the beach. It was searingly cold with a bitter wind but the sunlight was clean and sharp. Annie collected a pebble for casting into the North Sea later and we stood about watching the sun set behind the Isle fo Man and taking photographs until we could stand it no longer and retreated into the shop. I bought a confection appropriately named "Snow Mints", which I had never tasted before but thoroughly enjoyed. We then returned to the B & B and as we did so I could see the ice forming on the road, incredible for 4.45 on an October evening.

The Famous Five go Freezing their Arses off.

Annie collects her pebble.

Sunset over the Isle of Man.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:28:40 pm »
Wednesday 29th October

So much for the Weatherman. It rained today and we hardly saw the sun, in spite of the promise of two or three days' unbroken sunshine. However, there was snow on the higher hills and this added a certain frisson to the adventure. Trust me to organise a week away when London had its first October snowfall since 1934.

It was in conditions not dissimilar to these in which Oates famously went outside for some time. In his honour we all had porridge for breakfast, followed by some typical Cumbrian protein. The riding was very good - on the very first descent Jan & I hit 40 mph, and shortly after we chose NCN 71 as the best option for reaching the Lake District. The surface was good, and being an old railway, there were no proper hills. In time-honoured tradition, Sustrans carefully considered heavily-laden touring tandemists when designing their obstacle course. This one is close to Rowrah.

Jeff has done a good deal of walking in the Lakes and was aware of a fine hostelry near Loweswater, the Kirkstile Inn, and we went there for coffee. I'm all in favour of pubs serving hot drinks, but very few of them seem to have a good selection of cakes to assuage the cyclist's hunger. I therefore invested in a couple of dishes full of potato wedges which we shared, and thus fortified we prepared to tackle the first chevron of the ride, Scale Hill. There were magnificent views of the snow-covered peaks around Ennerdale.

Shortly we were on Whinlatter Pass, which to be honest is a bit of a pussycat as passes go - not for us the hard-nosed alternative of Hardknott and Wrynose. We hurtled down towards Braithwaite and then waited for a few minutes at the bottom of the hill for the soloists to catch up, and then dived into Keswick for lunch. It rained.

We rejoined the disused railway and crossed and re-crossed the River Greta as we climbed towards Threlkeld. Somewhere above us to the left, lost in the clouds, was Blencathra, one of the Lake District's most treacherous peaks. Shortly we were forced onto the A66, having to negotiate a nasty right turn towards Wallthwaite and Troutbeck. The sun had set and Jeff's advice was to stay on the A road towards the south end of Ullswater rather than tackle steep descents on lanes in the dark. This we did, adding about 2½ miles to the day, but thankful of the better surfaces. Having said that, we had one moment of drama when Mick hit a pot-hole at speed and lost a pannier. He didn't realise, but fortunately a passing motorist told him and no-one had run it over by the time he retrieved it.

We arrived at Ullswater House, our B & B for the night, at around 6.40, giving us time for a shower before adjourning to the Sun Inn, almost next door, for a splendid meal.