Author Topic: Garmin, Wahoo - what do you think of yours and what does it do?  (Read 7920 times)

Re: Garmin, Wahoo - what do you think of yours and what does it do?
« Reply #50 on: 24 June, 2019, 11:06:06 am »

On our ride to the Solovetski Islands a few years ago, swarm_catcher and I both used Etrex 20s. I use north up, she used track up. We both tried the other's preference briefly, but couldn't get on with it. I can see where north up could cause confusion if you're travelling south (e.g. at a left turn the track goes to the right of the screen), but on the other hand I've been looking at maps with north at the top for most of my life.

I've always rotated the map to orientate it with North so it matches my surroundings, and I can then follow it. When I did orienteering I had a thumb compass, that only showed north, I'd place it on the map, rotate me and map until I was facing the right way. Then run off.

I suppose this is related to the "You're holding the map upside down!" Comments. No. I've orientated it correctly...

J

Thanks, and apologies - after coffee I see I got the wrong end of the stick  :facepalm: (and I agree with your iPhone/Android analogy - it seems that any Garmin or Wahoo thread (on here and FB) will suggest using the other within 2 or 3 posts !).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #51 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:32:44 pm »
Anyone considered putting in a request with wahoo to have "north up" when following a route made an option?

I've heard their customer support is considerably more receptive than garmin

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #52 on: 24 June, 2019, 01:33:49 pm »
No. it's not a customer support issue, more product development. I need a solution now so have to run with what is available rather than make requests expecting an immediate change.  And from the discussion on dc rainmaker it appears it is something they are aware of but have consciously decided not to do.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #53 on: 24 June, 2019, 02:16:38 pm »
No. it's not a customer support issue, more product development. I need a solution now so have to run with what is available rather than make requests expecting an immediate change.  And from the discussion on dc rainmaker it appears it is something they are aware of but have consciously decided not to do.
Customer support is usually the route to logging a change/feature request though.
If they don't know people want the feature they'll never implement it.

Garmin only ever seem to tell people with suggestions to piss off...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk