Author Topic: Moonrakers & Sunseekers 300km 15/11/19  (Read 7479 times)

Moonrakers & Sunseekers 300km 15/11/19
« on: 04 March, 2019, 10:16:44 am »
This caused a little storm in a teacup last year. So it is back!

A fast easy run through the night passing Devizes' The Crammer where legend has it Wiltshire smugglers claimed to the excisemen they were raking for the moon, then down the Avon valley. Along the Promenade from Bournemouth to Poole for Breakfast at Lilliput Sea Scouts. Then around Poole Harbour and Sunseekers boatyard. Followed by lanes back through the Dorset Hills passing the chocolatebox village of Milton Abbas and the abbey to Glastonbury and The Levels. The Strawberry Line railway path takes you under the Mendips before popping you out at The Strawberry Line Cafe for the last control. This a community asset helping young adults with learning difficulties develop skills for the hospitality industry; after last years event I popped in to say thanks and was told they had their best day ever! Then back into Bristol this time hopefully, works permitting, by a quieter route.

Starting and finishing this time at Felix Road Adventure Playground another valuable community asset promoting free play; thanks to last year several hundred pounds was raised but still a mere drop in the ocean thanks to cuts in local play services.

On the calendar early as almost immediately after last year's event I was getting emails about the next. Entry will close when capacity reached, already at 10% after just a few days.

Entry here: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-866/

Last year's thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=110095.0

Re: Moonrakers & Sunseekers 300km 15/11/19
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2019, 10:18:21 am »
No plans for a summer Sunseekers & Moonrakers this year but will create a perm when I've got a few minutes.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:13:54 pm »
booked in ASAP, now this is a challenge !!

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
Update on numbers: I've surpassed last year's entries already so I anticipate reaching the maximum before the advertised closing date of 10th November. Secure your place now.

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:55:04 pm »
Provisionally in, assuming life and trains align.

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2019, 11:03:11 am »
Last few places left before the waiting list. Get in quick if you aren't already.

Final route checks will be done one or two weeks before, route information will be emailed after that.

« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2019, 07:58:10 pm »
Sadly the wife's working that Saturday else I'd have signed up.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2019, 08:15:39 pm »
This thing borked my knee for about 5months last time, so I'm going to wimp out I think!

(Some of it was really nice while we were doing it :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2019, 09:41:27 am »
This thing borked my knee for about 5months last time, so I'm going to wimp out I think!

(Some of it was really nice while we were doing it :) )

Another year....

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2019, 09:44:34 am »
CAPACITY IS REACHED

You can still 'enter' but this will put you on the waiting list. If a space becomes available places are allocated in order of entries received as if by the usual means and by its terms and conditions. If no space is available before Thursday 14th a full refund will be made after the event when I'm doing my admin. If a space becomes available on Thursday 14th or Friday 15th you have the right to refuse. This is so I'm not chasing people for payments to secure a place once one becomes available.

« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2019, 11:28:37 am »
Hi all,

I have entered this ride and have been reviewing forum posts, blogs etc. from last year.
There seems to be a consensus that it was a tough event and I am wondering why this should be the case. The amount of climbing (2300m) for a 300 seems fairly benign so was it the weather, the fact that alot of time is spent riding in the dark or some other factors that made it tough?

« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:33:23 pm »
I'm also interested in the answer to Rainbow Dash's question.

Also, when cycling from Temple Meads to the start, is the cycle path route safe late in the evening, or would Feeder Road or Silverthorne Lane be better options?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2019, 03:20:41 pm »
I'm also interested in the answer to Rainbow Dash's question.

Also, when cycling from Temple Meads to the start, is the cycle path route safe late in the evening, or would Feeder Road or Silverthorne Lane be better options?

I personally have never had a problem on the B2B path. The direct road route would be ok too.

« Reply #13 on: 05 November, 2019, 06:09:25 pm »
Coming across from the London area for this,  think i might get the train rather than drive, does anyone know what station is best at the Bristol end ?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 05 November, 2019, 06:56:55 pm »
Coming across from the London area for this,  think i might get the train rather than drive, does anyone know what station is best at the Bristol end ?

I'm going to Temple Meads. It looks to be about a 10 minute ride to the start.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Redlight

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2019, 07:00:50 pm »
Hi all,

I have entered this ride and have been reviewing forum posts, blogs etc. from last year.
There seems to be a consensus that it was a tough event and I am wondering why this should be the case. The amount of climbing (2300m) for a 300 seems fairly benign so was it the weather, the fact that alot of time is spent riding in the dark or some other factors that made it tough?

I can't speak for last year, but I think there's always an extra element of challenge starting a ride at night and riding through the first night. Add in the fact that it will inevitably be cold, even if there are no other meteorological factors, and the first seven or eight hours will be character building.  The route doesn't look particularly tough, although the relentless ups and downs on the way across to Salisbury might be wearing.  We shall see.  I think the best thing is to go prepared for type 2 fun and enjoy the type 1 parts.

« Reply #16 on: 05 November, 2019, 08:51:15 pm »

Temple Meads is the closest. Parkway is about a 30min ride but down hill - use the Concorde Way to J3 then along the A4320 cycle path, B4465 is the easiest way https://cycleplanner.betterbybike.info/cycle-routes/regional/bristol/Concorde%20Way

« Reply #17 on: 05 November, 2019, 09:39:36 pm »

Temple Meads is the closest. Parkway is about a 30min ride but down hill - use the Concorde Way to J3 then along the A4320 cycle path, B4465 is the easiest way https://cycleplanner.betterbybike.info/cycle-routes/regional/bristol/Concorde%20Way

Many thanks Will .

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2019, 09:18:42 pm »
Hi all,

Er, it's night and it's November...what more do you need to know?  If the weather is uncoperative it will be difficult

Climbing isn't the only factor.  The type of road also makes things more difficult.  I am kind of hoping it won't be as bad as the Hard Boiled

« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2019, 08:45:35 am »
Climbing isn't the only factor.  The type of road also makes things more difficult.  I am kind of hoping it won't be as bad as the Hard Boiled

The night riding certainly isn't. Predominantly quite A & B roads with a short bit along the promenade which can be sandy. The return from Lilliput gets a bit more laney in the daylight with some lumps over the Dorset Hills, plus the Strawberry Line to spice it up; but obviously the route is advisory and if you choose to go over the Mendips rather than under then that is fine with me.

Redlight

« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:17:57 am »

... with some lumps...

I was just pleased/relieved to note that the route is clockwise and that you weren't bringing us back via Brassknocker Hill. I'm not sure I'd fancy that after 270km or so.

bairn again

« Reply #21 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:21:07 am »
I'm following this thread with interest as I've a daft notion to do a winter 300km DIY before the year is out (subject to there being no ice and it being predominantly dry - I appreciate that might rule it out until well into 2020!).  My 1st opportunity would be Fri 22nd Nov.

My planning so far has concluded that 2200 is about the optimum start time which gives me a chance of finishing in daylight (and the morale boost of knowing that once its morning that I probably wont need to ride in the dark again). 

Maybe something like Edinburgh - Montrose - Edinburgh with much flatness.

Fingers crossed that you get reasonable weather.   

« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:35:26 am »
I'm following this thread with interest as I've a daft notion to do a winter 300km DIY before the year is out (subject to there being no ice and it being predominantly dry - I appreciate that might rule it out until well into 2020!).  My 1st opportunity would be Fri 22nd Nov.

My planning so far has concluded that 2200 is about the optimum start time which gives me a chance of finishing in daylight (and the morale boost of knowing that once its morning that I probably wont need to ride in the dark again). 

I've had a similar thought of a silly winter 300k but goes from Glasgow, Newbridge, Perth, Crianlarich, Balloch and Glasgow. Would need to think about the timing coming down from Crianlarich though, not very much climbing either.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

bairn again

« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2019, 10:05:01 am »

I've had a similar thought of a silly winter 300k but goes from Glasgow, Newbridge, Perth, Crianlarich, Balloch and Glasgow. Would need to think about the timing coming down from Crianlarich though, not very much climbing either.
yhpm. 

dat

« Reply #24 on: 07 November, 2019, 11:35:41 am »

... with some lumps...

I was just pleased/relieved to note that the route is clockwise and that you weren't bringing us back via Brassknocker Hill. I'm not sure I'd fancy that after 270km or so.

I tried to do that fixed after 380k. On return I asked Will if he managed it on the rec, fixed. I was informed the route was advisory...