Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1611909 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10675 on: 24 December, 2018, 08:30:16 am »
David has been playing 'Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer' on his keyboard for most of the day...

Do you need a solicitor, or does he need an ambulance?  If the latter, you'll probably still need the former.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10676 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:31:41 pm »
See the 'Rant' thread...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10677 on: 25 December, 2018, 11:44:05 am »
Dremel are crafty sods. I was given a set of mini router bits that came in a snazzy wee wooden box, with the bits stuck in a bit of wood inside. To stop them falling out and rattling around, Dremel had put a strip of double-sided tape over the holes then shoved the bits through it, so that tatters of tape were shoved down inside and held the bits in.  They were a bugger to get out and the tape was a pain to get rid of.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10678 on: 25 December, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »
Dremel are crafty sods. I was given a set of mini router bits that came in a snazzy wee wooden box, with the bits stuck in a bit of wood inside. To stop them falling out and rattling around, Dremel had put a strip of double-sided tape over the holes then shoved the bits through it, so that tatters of tape were shoved down inside and held the bits in.  They were a bugger to get out and the tape was a pain to get rid of.

Ah - that's what the tape is for!  The bit of wood, with the holes, is loose in my box and I couldn't work out why the sticky stuff.  Clearly, mine has disassembled somewhat. A bit of fettling to do....  One day....

« Reply #10679 on: 26 December, 2018, 02:36:24 pm »
New tooth filling came out yesterday. Ho bloody ho.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10680 on: 26 December, 2018, 02:48:30 pm »

Like hearing aids and those little screws that hold glasses together[1], fillings can sense the holidays...

[1] Top tip: You can just buy an assortment of hundreds of the wee bastards for a couple of quid on eBay.

« Reply #10681 on: 26 December, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »
I’ve got an emergency dental repair kit that I can pop in the post. Probably quicker than getting an appointment, especially at this time of year.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #10682 on: 26 December, 2018, 03:14:15 pm »
Thanks Andrew, I don't need one yet as is not giving me any pain and daughter No 2 brought my attention to the temp kits at Boots. Will phone the surgery tomorrow and see whats what. Probably needs a crown.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10683 on: 26 December, 2018, 03:56:16 pm »
Just chew on some of that Suguru DIY stuff & wait for it to set hard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10684 on: 26 December, 2018, 04:00:27 pm »

Like hearing aids and those little screws that hold glasses together[1], fillings can sense the holidays...

[1] Top tip: You can just buy an assortment of hundreds of the wee bastards for a couple of quid on eBay.
JonB otp lost a little screw from his glasses in a downpour on an Easter Arrow last year. Amazingly he (or one of his companions) found it again. IIRC he lost a filling on the same ride, and to cap it all, the weather was so atrocious they didn't even finish the ride...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10685 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:06:11 pm »

Yeah. MrsT came home from her Christmas Eve run singing "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" - one of her crowns had popped out. Dentist put it back an hour later, but not believing in Santa he charged 45 €.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10686 on: 26 December, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »
Yeah. MrsT came home from her Christmas Eve run singing "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" - one of her crowns had popped out. Dentist put it back an hour later, but not believing in Santa he charged 45 €.

It would be against the law for Santa to get involved anyway, as Tooth Fairy is a regulated profession.

« Reply #10687 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:02:33 pm »
My mother uses an Mac, my father uses a Mac , my sister who lives with them uses an iPhone.  They've all got iPads, so are reasonably familiar with iOs.   So why the blue blazes did Dad buy Mum a Huawei  Smart P ?    She's got an old, voice only phone with an obsolete Sim card size.  Someone is now going to have to get her number moved onto a nano sim, probably with some sort of data plan & help her learn a new OS.  I've a horrible feeling I know who that someone will be, and I've never used an Android device in my life  :facepalm:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10688 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »
Get a sim cutter and cut the existing sim down to size?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #10689 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:12:46 pm »
Last time I did that I put my sisters Sim in the wrong way round  :-[

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10690 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:13:51 pm »
Persuade him to send it back and get something Fruity?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10691 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:28:40 pm »
I’m getting heartily sick of having to prove I’m not a computer by having to klick on grainy underexposed tiny photos of random American shit. That is all.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10692 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:43:39 pm »
Persuade him to send it back and get something Fruity?

That was my thought as well. Even a second hand fruit-phone would be less pain than learning Android for a FruitFan.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10693 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:53:36 pm »
I’m getting heartily sick of having to prove I’m not a computer by having to klick on grainy underexposed tiny photos of random American shit. That is all.

+eleventy

« Reply #10694 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:56:57 pm »
She was planning on getting a 2nd hand iPhone & he Pre-empted her. Saying it’s not suitable would probably cause a screaming row  :(    I don’t inherit my sweet & reasonable disposition from either of my parents....

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10695 on: 28 December, 2018, 12:16:27 am »
As the Weegies would say "Hell mend them then".

« Reply #10696 on: 28 December, 2018, 12:23:11 am »
They both use phones as phones.  I don’t think either of them know what SMS is, let alone WhatsApp! They mostly have mobiles switched off , they are paranoid about things on charge catching fire... (probably seen some of those videos Kim retweet’s  ;) )
Mum is an EBay addict though, if she finds she can get that on a phone... :facepalm:

essexian

« Reply #10697 on: 28 December, 2018, 08:58:38 am »
I met some very nice people yesterday doing a job in difficult circumstances....

So, for my pleasure, I went to Manchester yesterday to ride the track at the velodrome. It being Christmas and thus, knowing the trains would be busier than normal: its normally standing room anyway, I spent the £3 extra to go First Class both way.... you can sometimes get a "bargain" booking early. And nice it was too.

However.... this is where the grumble comes in. While the people working for Cross Country Trains were very nice, the service itself is a complete shambles. Firstly, the 14.27, the train before the one I was due to catch was nearly an hour late due to "train issues" while my train, the 15.03 was half an hour late arriving and 40 minutes late into Manchester giving me just 20 minutes to get to the Velodrome.  The reason the train was late.... whoever did the rota failed to notice that the crew taking the train to Manchester would not be arriving into Birmingham until 25 minutes after the train was due to leave...... "Happens often" said the Train Manager when I asked.

A £10 taxi ride later I managed to get to the velodrome just as the session started. I was allowed to pay for the shoes on the way out (which was very nice of the velodrome staff) and the Coach remembered me from last time!

Of course nothing could go wrong on the way back could it.....I was booked on the 19.05 out of Manchester and after arriving on time found it had been cancelled. Reason given: "No idea" said the stressed looking information worker, "they don't tell us anything."

Anyway, the 19.27 was available and the First Class section almost empty....unlike the rest of the train which was rammed! Come on Cross Country Trains, how about putting more than four coaches on (yes, yes, they could take off of the First Class coach but but but but..... :( )

So, Cross Country and Velodrome staff excellent. Cross Country Train: up there with Northern Rail and Transpennine Express for crapness. 

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #10698 on: 28 December, 2018, 10:36:01 am »
My mother uses an Mac, my father uses a Mac , my sister who lives with them uses an iPhone.  They've all got iPads, so are reasonably familiar with iOs.   So why the blue blazes did Dad buy Mum a Huawei  Smart P ?    She's got an old, voice only phone with an obsolete Sim card size.  Someone is now going to have to get her number moved onto a nano sim, probably with some sort of data plan & help her learn a new OS.  I've a horrible feeling I know who that someone will be, and I've never used an Android device in my life  :facepalm:
I've got one of them - an impulse purchase on my 65th birthday in Feb. My first smart phone. It didn't really take long to learn how to use it and AFAICT it's fine. Cost £9 and £16 a month with a tiny (but plenty big enough for me) data allowance.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #10699 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:18:28 am »
Bristol airport (Swissport) baggage handlers.  It does not take 1 hour 15 minutes to deliver the bags.