Author Topic: 32mph - on the flat!  (Read 1466 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
32mph - on the flat!
« on: 29 March, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »
I had to go into the office today, and as I'm in the middle of a BB replacement on my regular steed, I took my Bob Jackson to try out the new wheels that I built for it.

It took me a little while to get used to having to use the brakes to slow down! Still I was cruising faster than normal. But on the way there I kept thinking "this 53T big ring looks very impressive, but I just don't have the thighs to make best use of it"

Until I came home, then I got the timing just right along the Embankment, and came up behind a coach just as the lights changed. The exhaust was a bit smoky, but I think it only took me a couple of gear changes to get into top gear and just hammer along  ;D Not a single car overtook  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 32mph - on the flat!
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »
I did an entire leg of a "10" at 30mph once.  The other way, against the wind, wasn't so impressive  :(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »
windy and I have crossed Barvas Moor at 30, most of the way (except when there were sheep about, for obvious reasons)
It is simpler than it looks.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:23:23 pm »
windy and I have crossed Barvas Moor at 30, most of the way (except when there were sheep about, for obvious reasons)

Mrs Chris and I once spent 5 hours battling the headwind teeth of a Hebridean gale for the 25 or so miles across Barvas Moor from the campsite at Shawbost to the Butt. When we got to the Butt, the waves were spectacular as they crashed into the cliffs and large lumps of sea water were thrown up onto the flat land above. The return trip took a little over 45 minutes!

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
I've topped out at over 30mph a few times on the Eastern Road when I used to work in Farlington. The ultimate commute saw me hit a shade under 39mph - aerodynamically assisted by a skip lorry. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2009, 11:13:53 pm »
I managed just over 30 mph on the sea front last Wednesday - wind-assisted of course!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:23:14 am »
Until I came home, then I got the timing just right along the Embankment, and came up behind a coach just as the lights changed.

:)

I've scored one bin lorry and one truck along that stretch of Chelsea Embankment. 47.6kph is my record (150rpm) for most of the way from Royal Hospital Road all the way up to Thames House.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:51:24 am »
Until I came home, then I got the timing just right along the Embankment, and came up behind a coach just as the lights changed. The exhaust was a bit smoky, but I think it only took me a couple of gear changes to get into top gear and just hammer along  ;D Not a single car overtook  ;D ;D ;D ;D

And let's not forget that occasion when you took shameful advantage of a motorcyclist to do most of the length of that bit of road at 25mph on fixed and then overtook her on the inside when you'd had enough...  ;)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2009, 02:33:13 pm »
And let's not forget that occasion when you took shameful advantage of a motorcyclist to do most of the length of that bit of road at 25mph on fixed and then overtook her on the inside when you'd had enough...  ;)

Me, behave in such a stupid manner? Never, well maybe.

I think it was only way I could lose enough speed in time to make the left turn
Nothing to do with being about to explode, of course not
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!