Author Topic: 2010 London Marathon  (Read 1934 times)

2010 London Marathon
« on: 06 April, 2010, 04:19:17 pm »
While I admit it is all my own fault, and therefore not really news worthy, and definitely not worthy of sympathy.*  I must report that on the 25th of this very month I will be partaking in the 2010 London Marathon.

I will be undertaking this effort, in aid of the Stroke Association, The Stroke Association - The Stroke Association Homepage So if you feel that this is worthy of some support then I would be very grateful if you could visit the website Virgin Money Giving - Service unavailable where you can make a donation.

Presently the aim is to finish alive,  hopefully taking something in the order of 4 hours,  but frankly I will be very happy with the finishing alive bit, and no I will not be wearing a huge costume or carrying a bike cyclecross style around the whole route.
And yes,  I think that this is proof that I am mad.

* doubly so considering the efforts of the very excellent Eddie Izzard.
Just someone's butler

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 2010 London Marathon
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2010, 04:28:45 pm »
Good cause.  Daft effort.  Hope you succeed in

a)  Surviving

b)  Raising cash

and

c)  Having fun
Getting there...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2010, 06:24:21 pm »
What's your number?

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2010, 08:36:45 am »
My number is 4949 - which is nice and easy to remember.

Which means i will be at the blue start in blackheath and the world of pain finish on the Mall..  :-)

must admit that it is not my standard idea of fun,  but I will see what i can do.. :-)
Just someone's butler

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:37:20 am »
Marathon completed in 04:0612

So I am very happy,  if not rather sore.  Still cycled to work this morning mind.
Just someone's butler

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:40:37 am »
Bloody hell, that's impressive, Darkers old fruit!

Your first one?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:25:35 am »
Well done R!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
You dark horse, nice work! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:37:23 am »
Well done anyone involved. :thumbsup:

I always watch the marathon coverage (forgot to tape this year's, so watched the highlights, which was mostly boring stuff about people trying to win the thing!*). At some random point I will find my eyes leaking, due to some plucky sod doing something hard-n-stupid for a good cause.

The marriage proposal was a nice variation this year!

(*I do admire that lot too, but its not the same, is it?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:38:57 am »
Thanks for the support.

Yes it was my first one.

Apart from general fatuge and some aches I am not too badly broken.
ok, i have a couple of small blisters but nothing to major.  and them and the aches will be gone soon I hope.

I have started to describe it as a good day out, which is slightly scary...
Just someone's butler

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:00:07 am »
Good work!

I'm in two minds about entering the ballot for next year (it opens 4th May), but since they're abandoning the guaranteed places for people with 5 consecutive ballot entry rejections there's not much point trying to rack up rejections (I was rejected in 2009 but missed the ballot entry for 2010).

I'd love to do it but probably not in PBP year.

Sod it, April to July is long enough.

*marks 4th May on work diary*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:15:25 am »
Congrats!

Don't do London! Do Brighton, it's much better!

It's 3 times smaller (10 thousand runners vs 30 thousand), but actually seems you get more support.

Also you have a far higher chance of getting in, and it's a week before London.

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:18:26 am »
There was an interesting Panorama on the workings of the London Marathon. It's somewhat less than transparent and an awful lot of the money doesn't end up with the charities (not the money raised by runners but the money paid as entrance fees). Not so say there is anything fishy going on just that they need to let people know where the money goes. It's a great event and the commitment by the runners is awesome.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:21:08 am »
The problem with London is exactly that; that it is difficult to get in and race because so many charities, sponsors etc. take available places. When I was running competitively it was a nightmare to get a ticket; and then the sheer number of people at the start in particular made for slow times. Berlin is not a bad option.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:34:00 am »
Friends did Lisbon a few years ago, and it's a great city.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:02:55 pm »
Well done OP, and to all those who took part.

Having trotted a few marathons in my younger days I have nothing but admiration and respect for those who take the challenge on.  It really is a tough ask requiring an awful lot of commitment and dedication.   

If I ever do another it will be a small local one like the Shakespeare Marathon, Stratford Upon Avon.   I have a yearning to do the Hoy half marathon one year as well as an olympic distance triathlon.   2013 maybe...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2010, 03:11:57 pm »
There was an interesting Panorama on the workings of the London Marathon. It's somewhat less than transparent and an awful lot of the money doesn't end up with the charities (not the money raised by runners but the money paid as entrance fees). Not so say there is anything fishy going on just that they need to let people know where the money goes. It's a great event and the commitment by the runners is awesome.

Yup, seems LM donate lots of money on a match funding basis which whilst officially allocated never gets taken up and just sits in the LM coffers. Also LM was reported as being very aggressive in defending its position as The (as in, one and only) London Marathon. The bottom line is the LM is a big business nowadays and behaves as such.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2010, 05:43:08 pm »
I tried to keep an eye out for you but failed, should have come said hello and had a beer/burger/whizz lol.

Where we were set up all the marathon runners were loving the sound system, being at mile 21 they are starting to really struggle at that point and there's nothing like uplifting songs or the whole crowd singing to perk you up.

Anyways, I have a vanity question do they still show the non pro section of marathon on the tellybox and if so were we edited out?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2010, 06:57:18 pm »
Yes Sam - I missed the live broadcast, but they usually cover noisy nutters in the crowd (as long as they mind their language).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:03:46 pm »
Apart from general fatuge and some aches I am not too badly broken.
ok, i have a couple of small blisters but nothing to major.  and them and the aches will be gone soon I hope.

I have started to describe it as a good day out, which is slightly scary...

That's good going. :thumbsup:

I did a half marathon in March and it looks like your proper full marathon went the same way as my little half. I thought I'd suffer quite a lot, but it wasn't bad, just a blister and a black toenail (which is still black) which never hurt at all and I really enjoyed it.
I was glad it was only a half for me though. A full marathon would have been a slog!

Top banana. :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:34:49 am »
I tried to keep an eye out for you but failed, should have come said hello and had a beer/burger/whizz lol.

Thanks for the offer,  but I couldn't stop,  I knew full well if I did that I would not get going again...

But I am quite sure that I mananged to work out which kicking sound system was yours..  everything was quite a bit of a blur at that point.
Just someone's butler

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:41:35 am »
My mate Unbreakable Dave managed it in 6 hours something this year, which is amazing considering he was carrying 70lbs of rocks and sound system on his back, and he brought two pizzas along the route to give to us lol. Now thats one person that deserves his name.

We had about a handful of runners stop, get fed a burger/beer/water while being vaselined up and then continue 5 mins later :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium