Author Topic: LRM's 'Challenge Lepertel' - Four 1200+s in consecutive years  (Read 1859 times)

LRM's 'Challenge Lepertel' - Four 1200+s in consecutive years
« on: 04 December, 2019, 09:46:41 am »
I haven't seen this as a thread (or on another) - starting from 2019. Mined from the RUSA site.

"Les Randonneurs Mondiaux announced a new award - the Challenge Lepertel - at their quadrennial meeting in August.

"This award commemorates former ACP President Robert Lepertel, who reinvigorated Paris-Brest-Paris and was instrumental in the founding and early development of Les Randonneurs Mondiaux.

"Riders achieve the award by completing four different events as follows:

a)  A 1200 km or longer event in each of 4 consecutive calendar years.

b)  Eligible events are Paris-Brest-Paris, or any event sanctioned by Les Randonneurs Mondiaux.

c)  At least one event must start in a different country from the others.

d)  The first event can be in calendar year 2019 or later."

In UK, AC's LEJOG 1400 seems to be the only qualifier. Might make the Bordeaux to Low Countries ride more popular. LRM 2020 calendar here:
http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/51-Calendar_2020.html

Re: LRM's 'Challenge Lepertel' - Four 1200+s in consecutive years
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:21:06 pm »
That's interesting. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Now I need to see if I can possibly fit in a suitable ride in 2020.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:40:13 pm »
That's interesting. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Now I need to see if I can possibly fit in a suitable ride in 2020.

Bordeaux -> Dordrecht in May :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:12:18 pm »
"Might make the Bordeaux to Low Countries ride more popular. "
Bordeaux -> Dordrecht in May :p
Paris > Bordeaux on OuiGo for Euro19 or less (bike in tight bag).

« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2019, 06:00:29 pm »
Bordeaux ride might be an option, need to read up about it ... I know there was a discussion a short while ago.

October rides would fit my schedule better, but Malaysia is a long way away.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:15:42 am »
I note looking at that calendar that this year in France there is also the Douze Cents and Les Traversées. Advantage of the Douze Cents is that the start and finish are in the same place.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2019, 12:21:25 pm »
"This award commemorates former ACP President Robert Lepertel, who reinvigorated Paris-Brest-Paris and was instrumental in the founding and early development of Les Randonneurs Mondiaux.

I think it's rather ironic given that for very many years Bob Lepertel jealously guarded the status of PBP as THE premier 1200 (he would have preferred 'only' 1200 really) to the extent of getting other countries (in LRM) to sign an agreement to this effect.  For a long time he did not permit any other LRM 1200+ within a PBP year, and he didn't really like them in other years either, which is why the oversight of 'other' 1200s got hived off into LRM in the first place, rather than ACP having to soil their hands with these inferior products.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2019, 08:07:34 pm »
I note looking at that calendar that this year in France there is also the Douze Cents and Les Traversées. Advantage of the Douze Cents is that the start and finish are in the same place.
ooooooh - tricky! I've very keen on Douze Cents, as it goes to stunning places, is every 4 years, and the dates are perfect for me.
I hadn't heard of Les Traversées before, but the logistics would actually be pretty good for those of us in the South of England. (The start is an easy ferry ride away, and it finishes in a nice area, for a Brit visitor that is!)

You may be able to give us a different perspective, M mzjo :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2019, 09:14:08 pm »
ooooooh - tricky! I've very keen on Douze Cents, as it goes to stunning places, is every 4 years, and the dates are perfect for me.
I hadn't heard of Les Traversées before, but the logistics would actually be pretty good for those of us in the South of England. (The start is an easy ferry ride away, and it finishes in a nice area, for a Brit visitor that is!)

You may be able to give us a different perspective, M mzjo :)

If the level of questioning by border patrol remains the same as it was for me the other week or escalates you're going to have fun telling them about your trip!

"Reason for travel" - Ride stupid distances
"Where did you stay" - Bus shelters
"Would you liek to come inside for more questions" - um...