Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 88330 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #525 on: 02 June, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »
What a slap-up feast n'all!?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #526 on: 02 June, 2017, 08:52:04 pm »
As night creeps in the thought of sleep must approach our band of brave brothers but beware the Hedge Monsters and stick to roads I tell 'ee  :demon:

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #527 on: 02 June, 2017, 11:16:28 pm »
Four riders are with us now, the first trio arriving before 2200. Four more out there soldiering on. Expected in next 60 to 90 minutes. Ok for time. Just on an errand to sort a mechanical. Chilli, couscous, baked spuds etc. being served.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Smeth

« Reply #528 on: 03 June, 2017, 12:21:16 am »
Four riders are with us now, the first trio arriving before 2200. Four more out there soldiering on. Expected in next 60 to 90 minutes. Ok for time. Just on an errand to sort a mechanical. Chilli, couscous, baked spuds etc. being served.

AF arrived 0015. Looking fine. Sleep at last. 

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #529 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:17:58 am »
"Warriors, come out to play-ay."  :demon:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #530 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:56:11 am »
"All right now, for all you boppers out there in the big city, all you Street people with an ear for the action, I've been asked to relay an event from CrAcKpOt 2017.   Turns out AndyP has packed but the others are still goin' strong.  It's an update from the Warriors, that real live bunch from Hackney and I do mean the Warriors.  Here's a hit with them in mind..."

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #531 on: 03 June, 2017, 09:48:44 am »
Okay Boppers, the lanes are finally startin' to cool down.  Turns out akin has restarted for the day with Ant & JAHS still peeling strong

Canyon you dig it?!  Can you dìiiiiiiiiiigit?!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #532 on: 03 June, 2017, 09:54:24 am »
Good news Boppers... The Warriors just presented in Wells.  Be lookin' good Warriors.  All the way to the next control.  You hear me babies?  Good. Real good.

« Reply #533 on: 03 June, 2017, 10:08:43 am »
I have joined Anthony and Jahs for a 'pointless' meander round the middle section.

Jags is fixing the second puncture of the day for him in Wells Waitrose cafe. Al fresco dining at its best?

Still disappointed that I could not ride the remainder of yesterday   :sick:  but have recovered whilst helping out at the overnight control and might as well enjoy the rest of my holiday.

Will be back on helper duties once we have knocked out the next 250k.

Smethurst's have done an amazing job supporting the riders so far.

Smeth

« Reply #534 on: 03 June, 2017, 10:16:31 am »
Thanks for your help yesterday akin. The true spirit and all that. Have a good day riding.
All cleared the overnight stop by about 7.30. Good progress with all inside the time limit. Sounds marginal but that was a monstrous 30 hours of climbing to the first sleep. Still work to do but not like that. Onwards Crackpots

« Reply #535 on: 03 June, 2017, 11:33:22 am »
AndyP & akin have packed ? Sorry to hear that. What happened ?

I've been watching AndyP's tracker and it's still moving. Has he passed it on to someone else ? If so, who ?

« Reply #536 on: 03 June, 2017, 11:57:42 am »
Anthony Powis now has the tracker

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #537 on: 03 June, 2017, 12:03:57 pm »
Power on Powis

Smeth

« Reply #538 on: 03 June, 2017, 12:08:37 pm »
Akin couldn't eat yesterday, recovered now and on a day ride. He's been helping at the sleep control and van loading. Es doing the same tonight. Andy P still got Brimstone in legs.

Our intrepid band continue to bimble. Heading to night three stop  (second sleep) to set up. First, an intravenous double espresso drip!

Meanwhile

« Reply #539 on: 03 June, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
Unscheduled stop in Keynsham whilst Jahs goes to a bike shop.

Spent the last section bathed in sunshine, enjoying the lanes and climbs, whilst considering the practicalities of another attempt  :facepalm:.

All that and I have still found time to try to explain Justin's curious Warriors references to a bemused Anthony.

« Reply #540 on: 03 June, 2017, 01:08:52 pm »
AndyP, this morning on FB:

I've packed at the night control, it was a wonderful ride but I was really sleepy last night - obviously not fully recovered from the brimstone. Have put the tracker on Anthony's bike.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #541 on: 03 June, 2017, 02:28:20 pm »
Yup - Brimstone legs ! Anyone who's ridden it knows how that feels ....

... the remaing 7 may well experience Crackpot legs. I took a photo of mine after riding it last year, but dare not publish.

The horror, the horror ....

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #542 on: 03 June, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »
hi,
the ride was wonderful, the company and feel on the road great, and the support amazing, but I was still a little tired after the Brimstone, and found keeping awake on the second night really hard. another 50 hours would've been too much so I called it a day.

My photos are on the ACH fb page here: http://bit.ly/2rvKyPA.

thanks again to everyone who helped, and for the moral support!

Smeth

« Reply #543 on: 03 June, 2017, 02:57:02 pm »
The three 'A's enact the ritual handover of the tracker. I provide the ceremonial rubber band which will stop it rattling to prevent Anthony  being driven over the  edge.
John B and James W clip in for another 330k of crackpot  joy.
Adam K and James S leave the shadow of Blackdown  VILLAGE hall into lovely Dorset. Anthonys  bike tries to follow.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #544 on: 03 June, 2017, 03:29:01 pm »
18:18 Bridgwater Warner Towers Alex Frost rejuvenated after shower lasagne rice pudding combo

That's the ultimate in audax efficiency at a control.
;D

(I think it even tops the sandwich+urinals video from PBP of yore.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #545 on: 03 June, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
There's a load of chat on the Facebook* page, really enjoying my armchair audaxing weekend (Kirtons 600 too!).

AndyP (i think?) made the nice comment that the Crackpot is like the Bob Graham Round. Random attempts are made, with support from random fellow riders.

I think the BGR is considerably more elite** an achievement, but it's still a nice comparison :)

* What an incongruous combination - A Wessex 1000 covered on Facebook. The horror!
**That should start some discussion ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #546 on: 03 June, 2017, 05:33:13 pm »
Well done to AndyP and akin for getting so far, and here's hoping the remaining 7 riders enjoy the rest of the ride.

AndyP, you were riding so well last weekend on the Brimstone. I'm sure with a bit more rest you would have smashed the CrAcKpOt.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Smeth

« Reply #547 on: 03 June, 2017, 06:29:09 pm »
Anyone have position updates and times please? At the Oakford Fitzpaine stop we have no signal whatsoever. Keep them coming if you get any. GPS and Altitude Accumulator can give you my mobile by pm as well and that might work occasionally.
We're flying the stove and airbeds blind. Also not very available for emergencies. I'll try and pop-up this hill every hour or so.

Smeth

« Reply #548 on: 03 June, 2017, 06:32:05 pm »
Also include in any contact... Rain radar shows these heavy showers are passing soon. Ta

« Reply #549 on: 03 June, 2017, 06:34:48 pm »
Andy's tracker is just approaching Frome.