Author Topic: UCI Bans elbows on bars  (Read 11904 times)

Re: UCI Bans elbows on bars
« Reply #25 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:18:48 pm »
Highway Code rule 66: “keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear”

Gesticulating to motorists and taking your rain jacket on or off is fine. Holding on to imaginary aero bars isn’t.

The same section of the Highway Code also forbids the wearing of black shoes on a bike, so :shrug:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:21:14 pm »
FCVO "forbid".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:21:35 pm »
I'll ask my yoga teacher what's the Sanskrit for pose #7

Does anyone know why UCI bans the use of aero bars? (I was mighty glad they were allowed for PBP 2019)

Cos in a group of riders they are a bloody hazard.

Aero bars are great, cycling in .NL without them is hellish. But they do slow how fast you can apply the brakes, which in a big bunch is a problem. I use aerobars, am proficient enough to go round round abouts while my arms on on them. But in a group I don't use them because it's just Not Safe™.

It's worth noting that for your ride to the seaside, the rules re what you could have for aerobars were more strict than what the UCI allows for a TT. They took the rules from Draft Legal Triathlon.

"What about Team Time Trials?"

Someone is no doubt wanting to ask. Well that's on a closed road, in a controlled environment. The team are working together, as a SINGLE team, and they are communicating. The peloton is not a single team, and while there is communication and a certain element of working together, it's a long way from the poetry in motion that is a TTT.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #28 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:24:44 pm »

Does anyone know why UCI bans the use of aero bars? (I was mighty glad they were allowed for PBP 2019)

Because the continentals understand about chocolate: Aero bars are mostly air and made by Cadbury's - which is not the same as being made of chocolate.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #29 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:33:11 pm »
There is a distinction between "aero bars are a hazard in a group" and "using aero bars in a group is a hazard". But yeah, it would make for complicated rules when you can't rely on common sense of when to use them or not.

@Peter you're right, we know about chocolate: Bros bars for the win!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:34:23 pm »
Surely it's simpler than that?  The UCI bans things because that's what the UCI is for, being cycling's official body of no-sense-of-fun.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:36:50 pm »
There is a distinction between "aero bars are a hazard in a group" and "using aero bars in a group is a hazard". But yeah, it would make for complicated rules when you can't rely on common sense of when to use them or not.

Note that the aerobars for draft legal triathlon, and for PBP were shorter. They had to be behind the brake hoods. The theory being so they don't hit someone first when you fall off. We're ok if you're hit in the kidney by a brake hood. But not if it's by a long aero bar...

J
--

« Reply #32 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:31:06 pm »

Because the continentals understand about chocolate: Aero bars are mostly air and made by Cadbury's - which is not the same as being made of chocolate.
Point of order - Aero bars are made by Nestle. The Cadbury equivalent is a Wispa.
As you were.

Davef

« Reply #33 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:33:59 pm »

Note that the aerobars for draft legal triathlon, and for PBP were shorter. They had to be behind the brake hoods. The theory being so they don't hit someone first when you fall off. We're ok if you're hit in the kidney by a brake hood. But not if it's by a long aero bar...

J
The stubby aero bar thing has always confused me (not least with the triathlon rules varying with age). The mandatory factory fitted bridge to make them into one I get but not the stubby aspect. People are still far from their brakes and arms are semi floating in the air.

Regarding team time trials, if everyone is on their aero bars sudden braking is off the cards which eliminates most group riding shunts.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:36:08 pm »
The stubby aero bar thing has always confused me (not least with the triathlon rules varying with age). The mandatory factory fitted bridge to make them into one I get but not the stubby aspect. People are still far from their brakes and arms are semi floating in the air.

I never quite got the logic of it personally either...

Regarding team time trials, if everyone is on their aero bars sudden braking is off the cards which eliminates most group riding shunts.

That too...

J
--

« Reply #35 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:46:18 pm »

Point of order - Aero bars are made by Nestle. The Cadbury equivalent is a Wispa. As you were.

Oops.  Sorry!

Davef

« Reply #36 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:09:32 pm »
Highway Code rule 66: “keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear”

Gesticulating to motorists and taking your rain jacket on or off is fine. Holding on to imaginary aero bars isn’t.

The same section of the Highway Code also forbids the wearing of black shoes on a bike, so :shrug:
Interesting photos from Highway code. The second is a fake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:05:32 pm »
Not sure it's a fake. His trousers are at a slightly different angle, if you look at the thigh pocket and the cuff. The seat post is showing and a different part of the buttress in the wall is showing. But let's say it is a 'fake': does it matter?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #38 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:28:57 pm »

I wonder if setting an example to regular cyclists was the thinking behind these bans?

« Reply #39 on: 13 February, 2021, 09:41:28 pm »
The UCI has been under attack from pro riders for putting riders in danger by not taking action to prevent dangerous racing conditions.

This action should probably be assessed in the light of this.

Davef

« Reply #40 on: 14 February, 2021, 06:46:17 am »
Not sure it's a fake. His trousers are at a slightly different angle, if you look at the thigh pocket and the cuff. The seat post is showing and a different part of the buttress in the wall is showing. But let's say it is a 'fake': does it matter?
Does not matter one bit. I just happened to notice. You are indeed correct that the second photo appears slightly further down the road, by about a foot I would say, apart that is  from the front wheel which is exactly where it was in the first. I reckon they spotted a turd or used condom in the gutter and did a bit of copy and paste.

« Reply #41 on: 14 February, 2021, 08:48:04 am »

I wonder if setting an example to regular cyclists was the thinking behind these bans?

They always were banned in reality ( rule about hands being on handlebars, feet on pedals etc), but you’re right, many coaches were concerned about youngsters imitating the puppy paw position etc.

« Reply #42 on: 14 February, 2021, 03:12:51 pm »
Does not matter one bit. I just happened to notice. You are indeed correct that the second photo appears slightly further down the road, by about a foot I would say, apart that is  from the front wheel which is exactly where it was in the first. I reckon they spotted a turd or used condom in the gutter and did a bit of copy and paste.

Something really odd is happening there. some bits of road, kerb and pavement have been copied from the previous with the front wheel, yet the tyre has moved around the rim...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #43 on: 14 February, 2021, 06:00:02 pm »
I think this is because it's not a fake, but a DIFFERENT picture which they have done very well - and very easily.  It would be far quicker to put on the gear and change the shoes than to photoshop it.  They've managed to get the marmite behind the rider in each case, too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 14 February, 2021, 06:09:45 pm »
I think this is because it's not a fake, but a DIFFERENT picture which they have done very well - and very easily.  It would be far quicker to put on the gear and change the shoes than to photoshop it.  They've managed to get the marmite behind the rider in each case, too.
At last someone pays attention to the important things!

Davef

« Reply #45 on: 14 February, 2021, 06:39:22 pm »
It is a different photo apart from the front wheel.

« Reply #46 on: 15 February, 2021, 10:06:05 am »
Marmite?

« Reply #47 on: 15 February, 2021, 10:50:43 am »

?

Davef

« Reply #48 on: 15 February, 2021, 11:10:00 am »

?
This bit below the yellow line is pasted from the first image to the second. Why I don’t know.

Then the wheel reflector has been drawn in

« Reply #49 on: 15 February, 2021, 12:35:10 pm »
Dave, it gets curiouser and curiouser: you are right about front wheel being pasted (the kerb gives it away) but, as has been mentioned, how does the red flash on the tyre end up where it does?!