Author Topic: Can DIYs Count Towards your SR?  (Read 2436 times)

Can DIYs Count Towards your SR?
« on: 12 January, 2020, 03:18:04 pm »
Straight forward question as per title. I would like to try my first SR.

I have scheduling issues for all of the 600 events in the South West again this year. I think I moaned about this last year. (Except for an ACME ride possibly)

I know doing a calendar 600 is a lot more pleasant, but would a DIY count towards it? I can’t find the answer on the AUK site. Or should I just book some leave and head east to Essex?

Re: Can DIYs Count Towards your SR?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2020, 03:24:45 pm »
Yes - or at least they did when I did one a few years ago.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2020, 03:39:25 pm »
Yes they count.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2020, 03:42:29 pm »
As noted, yes - though if you are after a regional one then you might want to check with that region about any local rules, eg: I think Tomsk has a rule about one DIY counting in an Essex SR as long as it starts or finishes in Essex iirc  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2020, 04:05:17 pm »
HC: another possibility you might like is to use an ECE or two:

https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/extended-calendar-events-eces/ece-faqs/

(eg add 200km to a Calendar 400, to give the 600 for your SR.)

Good luck!

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2020, 04:16:57 pm »
As noted, yes - though if you are after a regional one then you might want to check with that region about any local rules, eg: I think Tomsk has a rule about one DIY counting in an Essex SR as long as it starts or finishes in Essex iirc  :thumbsup:

Thank you. And I did get my grubby mitts on an ACME jersey last year do it would be wrong not to do one of Tomsk’s rides at least once in it’s life time.

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2020, 04:20:01 pm »

https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/extended-calendar-events-eces/ece-faqs/

Good luck!

Good thinking Tony. I should have emailed you for ideas. Found that a Steinhaus Cube will fit in my Carradice for long, boring rides too  ;)

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2020, 04:43:36 pm »

Good luck!

Good thinking Tony. I should have emailed you for ideas. Found that a Steinhaus Cube will fit in my Carradice for long, boring rides too  ;)

Is that some form of teleport device?

« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2020, 05:17:03 pm »

Good luck!

Is that some form of teleport device?

It’s a device for in flight entertainment. Like music or podcasts but different. You can no longer order roasted peanuts to go with it due to stringent health and safety laws.

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:19:44 pm »
Ah, I have a iPod with mini speaker which plugs directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack. Speaker does about 8 hours off a charge. It sits in a handlebar bag.

« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:25:00 pm »
Ah, I have a iPod with mini speaker which plugs directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack. Speaker does about 8 hours off a charge. It sits in a handlebar bag.

Nice. Music and podcasts are great. I either use a Buckshot mini speaker by Outdoor Gear Lab (I think) or my AirPods (controversially I admit)

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:28:22 pm »
Most of my events have permanent versions.

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:31:21 pm »

I have scheduling issues for all of the 600 events in the South West again this year. I think I moaned about this last year. (Except for an ACME ride possibly)

I know doing a calendar 600 is a lot more pleasant, but would a DIY count towards it? I can’t find the answer on the AUK site. Or should I just book some leave and head east to Essex?

Can you do a helpers ride then help at the start or an overnight sleep control of a calendar 600 ?

« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:50:47 pm »

Yes. Your Exe Buzzard is a goody. I badgered you for permission last year on CC  to use much of your route for a DIY which is looking like it’s more likely than a calendar. I have struggled to find a sleep option on mine though so I might just bivvy.

« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:52:15 pm »

Can you do a helpers ride then help at the start or an overnight sleep control of a calendar 600 ?

Not really sure what you mean. Sorry. Still fairly new to audax so Confucius reigns.

« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2020, 08:20:12 pm »

Not really sure what you mean. Sorry. Still fairly new to audax so Confucius reigns.

When you volunteer for a ride you're mostly allowed to do the ride beforehand. Helping can for example be manning a (start/finish or whatever) control during a 600. Or any other job the organiser needs to have done and can't do him/herself. Some organisers even organise the helpers ride on a fixed date for all the helpers who wish to do this.

Small correction on the previous speakers, only for an AUK (domestic) SR would a DIY count, not if you want to have an ACP (international) SR.

« Reply #16 on: 12 January, 2020, 08:32:07 pm »

Yes. Your Exe Buzzard is a goody. I badgered you for permission last year on CC  to use much of your route for a DIY which is looking like it’s more likely than a calendar. I have struggled to find a sleep option on mine though so I might just bivvy.

There are a few hotels on the A40 after Pangbourne.  I've ridden it with & without a sleep-stop. 

I have done quite a few perm/DIY 600s and, contrary to the experiences of many folk, not found them more challenging than calendar events, not even when wading thigh-deep through flood water , carrying my bike.

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2020, 07:06:57 am »
Thanks @Ivo and @Ian H

Useful as always.

bairn again

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2020, 10:33:48 am »

There are a few hotels on the A40 after Pangbourne.  I've ridden it with & without a sleep-stop. 

I have done quite a few perm/DIY 600s and, contrary to the experiences of many folk, not found them more challenging than calendar events, not even when wading thigh-deep through flood water , carrying my bike.

Thats my experience too.  A DIY allows me to create a bespoke route with controls to suit me, and I can ride it on dates of my choosing.  I tend to ride alone for most calendar events anyway (Im not particularly fast and spend way less time at controls compared to most folk) so the loss of other participants on an event is pretty much a non issue.  I expect that my 4 ride SR this season will almost certainly be all DIYs. 

« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2020, 10:37:52 am »
Hah! @bairn-again your ride sounds like a carbon copy of my style. Full value rules ok.