Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 100568 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #175 on: 22 February, 2011, 08:50:26 am »
I'm suffering from a serious case of CBA.  Again.  At least I was on the bike yesterday.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #176 on: 22 February, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
Still working up the courage to do a 20 mile commute, and haven't yet recce'd the route....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #177 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:24:52 am »
Friday: leave; Monday: lurgy; Tuesday; lurgy; today: leave ...

Still - the forecast's for well-above-freezing overnight temperatures and the chest's almost clear.  Thunderbirds may be go for tomorrow and Friday ...

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #178 on: 07 March, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »
I have moved house and can not find my cycling stuff  :facepalm: twat!!!!!! due to a job change in december i have now moved closer to work so my commute is now 7 miles each way happy days  :thumbsup: and i have been of the bike since end of november due to work and the weather !!!!thank you yacf for helping me keep the interest there and to not for one minute allow me to consider giving up cycling and becoming more of a fatty than i am already lol!
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #179 on: 07 March, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »
I was getting near to the end of Anathem by Neal Stephenson and couldn't put it down - hopefully will finish on the way home tonight.

« Reply #180 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:23:48 am »
I woke up with a case of can't be arsed. Thought "you'll feel better if you ride". Checked weather. 50mph headwinds.

I took the train. 20mph and it's tedious. 50? That's effing ridiculous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #181 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:26:38 am »
Last night my whole being was suffering from the >40 roundtrip I had done to work and back.

I was asleep by 8PM

I woke at 5:30 and thought "Sod it, I'll have another hour"

So car it was.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #182 on: 10 March, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »
...I got a chest infection :(

« Reply #183 on: 10 March, 2011, 04:05:58 pm »
I woke up with a case of can't be arsed. Thought "you'll feel better if you ride". Checked weather. 50mph headwinds.

I took the train. 20mph and it's tedious. 50? That's effing ridiculous.
Maybe I wasn't being such a wimp.

Lorry blown over in street just outside work - landed on a pedestrian.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #184 on: 10 March, 2011, 04:09:46 pm »
Crikey!  That's scary.

I think you would have been easier to blow over than a truck.
Getting there...

« Reply #185 on: 10 March, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »
I'm not so sure about the 'landed on pedestrian' bit; that came from someone at work and I can't verify it.

Neville st and the bridge are closed in Leeds.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #186 on: 10 March, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »
...I have a beer festival to go to nr Kings Cross...hic !

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #187 on: 14 March, 2011, 11:48:09 am »
I need some recuperation time before tomorrow's gym session.  Feels very odd - this is the first day in a month where I *haven't* cycled at least 4 miles.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #188 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:09:48 pm »
Well, I did commute in today.  But by train and tube.  I'm really unwell, but the payroll needed running :(

Horible.  It took nearly two hours each way.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #189 on: 22 March, 2011, 09:04:23 am »
Deeply unwell still.  Not even rail commute :(
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #190 on: 22 March, 2011, 09:07:14 am »
Got to go and see the physioterrorist.
Pity I've got to go in the car, 'cos the weather is lovely and, short as it was, I really enjoyed yesterdays ride.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #191 on: 25 March, 2011, 09:27:36 am »
...my sister is arriving from the Sarth East and I have to act as a taxi service to get her to Minehead.

Sister+3 children won't fit on my bike so I have the Golf

tiermat

« Reply #192 on: 25 March, 2011, 09:52:34 am »
Not commuted all week, and heading home today.  The no commute all week is due to a general malaise brought on by my need to have my B12 jab and obviously today is due to the need to drive 200 miles to get home :)

Next week I shall be on fire!!!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #193 on: 01 April, 2011, 03:39:07 pm »
Jury service. 

Monday:  turn up at court; get name ticked off; am told "Phone tomorrow for Wednesday"
Tuesday:  work at library so that I can pick up FirstBorn from school; jury-line says "Phone tomorrow for Thursday"
Wednesday:  cycle  :thumbsup: to office; jury-line says "Phone tomorrow for Friday"
Thursday:  work at library to be on time for parent-teacher consult; jury-line says "Turn up at court for 11 o'clock"
Friday:  turn up at court; discover have lost book en route  :facepalm:; sit in room with 70-odd other potential jurors while Sheriff oversees a plea-bargain (last-minute "guilty" to various charges, some amended, "not-guilty" to another) - before sending us all home with a brief "thank you".  No point in going to office - so working from home.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #194 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »
..I had a dental appointment in the opposite direction from home to work.
And it was a bit gusty this morning

It's not so bad driving to work if 1) it isn't rush hour 2) I can park in front of the office

« Reply #195 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »
I had to drop my friend at Heathrow on the way. The employer was surprised as she'd been warned to expect me on a bike ;D. I have to say, with the lurgy + rain + wind, I'm not too sad to have a hired car today.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #196 on: 06 April, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »
I've got a horrible cold and I'm hoping to be well for the Denmead 300k on Saturday. Might have to do it anyway as I'm not sure when else I can squeeze in a 300k PBP qualifier.

Fingers crossed it just goes away.

The cold I mean - not PBP.

Owner of a languishing Langster

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #197 on: 07 April, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »
I had to taxi the kids to / from the school disco at about 5 min after i finished work so i had to usethe bottom less pit that sucks all my moneythe car  >:(
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

Rimnod

« Reply #198 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:00:40 pm »
Having spent 2 days consolidating budgets from various departments my head finally exploded.  Woke at 1am and could I get back to sleep?  

Saw dawn break and then the alarm went off, lay there, with radio 4 quietly chattering in the background, feeling like I had been hit by a train thinking I really should make a move, when 'er in doors comes up with the killer reason not to use the bike.

"If you want to spend all day Sunday drinking beer, eating crisps and watching the Paris–Roubaix we will have to the shopping tonight."  I'll find the car keys I mumble.

RESULT.

« Reply #199 on: 08 April, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
I think the bearings in the rear wheel have gone on the Kaffenback, or something is going south anyway, so my usual 20+ miles of commuting is probably a bad idea, and is just terminal failure waiting to happen somewhere maximally inconvenient for work and home.

I'm a bit loathe to lock Red up in the bike store at work, he looks too desirable, and even with three locks on him I'd still be worried.

That leaves Vince, the snow bike, who has 52" singlespeed gearing and studded tyres, so would be hard and noisy work to cycle over that distance.

It's easier to just jump on the Tram and Tube, and at least I can read my Kindle. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.