Author Topic: The Computer Game Thread  (Read 19030 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
The Computer Game Thread
« on: 24 June, 2019, 08:19:02 pm »
I have created this thread so those of us who are so inclined can discuss the computer games they play.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: The Computer Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2019, 08:36:53 pm »
I play a game call Stormfall Age Of War.  It is a slightly strategic multi-player castle building and fighting game.

It is free to play and is playable without spending real money. It takes a lot of time. If you are millionaire or simply without any sense of value you can spend money to short cut time. That is how many modern games work.

If you like to try it download the plarium app

https://plarium.com/en/plarium-play/

or I get a reward if you do it this way

https://desktop.plarium.com/en/open/?a=invite%2FeyJJbnZpdGVyIjoxMDUwODI4MywiQ2x1c3RlcklkIjowLCJUaGVtZUlkIjowLCJHYW1lSWQiOjQsIkFwcElkIjoxNiwiTGFuZ3VhZ2VJZCI6MX0uMjYwYTc0MWI4NzQ1ZjY4NDU4ZDM2MGVmMTEwMjY0MmI1

Choose Stormfall Age Of War from the App
select server "Untamed Lands"

folllow the hints to learn how to play.
When the game suggests you join a league choose Black Shield if you want to be in same league as me [ We need members ]

It can also be played from a Web browser or from facebook. Not recommended the app is much more responsive.

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2019, 08:49:00 pm »
Elite: Dangerous is my current time suck.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:02:14 pm »
I quit a 2 year addiction to Forge of Empires last August when I realised it was ruining my life  :facepalm:
'You're always on the computer' says my wife.... 'I'm working...' [/lie]  :-[

So currently I try to limit myself with brainless stuff that I can let go.  It's amazing that shit like Bubblewitch 3 can suck almost as much of your life away if you don't have WILLPOWER  :facepalm:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:26:27 pm »
Path of Exile for me. Free to play and no play to win involved.

Game is regularly updated with new content.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
Elite: Dangerous
Warframe

I have both on PC and PS4, but pretty much only play games on the console; PCs are for work.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:37:56 pm »
Im partial to a spot of Fat Worm Blows a Sparky on the old zx spectrum!

Currently playing Prey on the PS4. Seems to be trying to copy Alien Isolation, but failing miserably. Enjoyable enough, but certainly isn't as scary as Alien Isolation.. Especially when the Synths in Alien Isolation (who look like resusci-dummies) start throttling your game character while saying "you are becoming hysterical"  :o

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:41:28 pm »
Heh, I can't play scary games. #2 son bought me "The last of us" for PS4 a couple of years back, and I just can't play it - it's far too scary!

What a wuss...  :facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2019, 02:28:24 pm »
Warframe

I have both on PC and PS4, but pretty much only play games on the console; PCs are for work.

Shame as we can’t wing up as far as I understand it as I’m on PC.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2019, 02:36:19 pm »
Warframe

Shame as we can’t wing up as far as I understand it as I’m on PC.

Correct - no cross-platform instancing. Same for Warframe - in fact the only game I've seen cross-platform instancing is Fortnite - and that was only after it got all legal and messy.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »
Where is the best place or way to buy computer games?

The last game I bought was Ultima 9 a long time ago. I know nothing.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:54:50 am »
Where is the best place or way to buy computer games?

The last game I bought was Ultima 9 a long time ago. I know nothing.

These days online seems to be the norm on PC. Mine doesn’t have any CD / DVD drive.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2019, 12:07:24 pm »
I am currently playing "Rise of the Tomb Raider".

According to the youtube  reviewers my system is not good enough because they have decided that a screen rendering rate of over 60 frames per second is required to enjoy a game. I have been reading hardware reviews for years. Ten years ago it was hard to find any affordable Graphics card that could do 30fps. I get more than that and I am happy. No need to turn down any processes.

My system
Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600X (not overclocked)
Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Ram: 16 GB DDR4-2933 (Max non overclocked speed for this processor)
Graphics card: AMD Rx 570
Monitor: Iiyama  PL2792Q  IPS 2560 x 1440

To make it better is expensive for me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 02 September, 2019, 11:27:19 pm »
TBH, I never really got my head round the way high frame rates are essential for gaming but bad for watching films.  It's not like any modern hardware gives you the authentic Doom-onna-386SX single-digit frame rate experience.   ??? 

50 interlaced fields per second should be enough for anyone.  Or something.

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:11:47 pm »
Probably OK when using a screen; less so for VR where low frame rates can quickly lead to  :sick:.

ETA: In other news, I noticed that Kerbal Space Program was knocked down to £7.95 on Steam, so took the plunge. I'd been avoiding it because I'm prone to getting addicted to that kind of thing. Luckily, I appear to be hopeless at it, so I'm happy to take my time over it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:21:07 pm »
Probably OK when using a screen; less so for VR where low frame rates can quickly lead to  :sick:.

GPWM.  TBH, I find any first-person 3D environment leads to :sick: within about half an hour or so, unless the viewport is so restrictive that my brain doesn't interpret it as a 3D environment properly, and I have no sense of orientation in the virtual world (which is shit for games).

This has a lot to do with my general disinterest in modern gaming.

Can't remember the last time I used a VR headset (unless establishing that google cardboard doesn't work with my glasses counts).  It may have actually been the now legendary W Industries Virtuality machine.

« Reply #16 on: 04 September, 2019, 05:54:01 am »
We got three of the new Oculus Rift S models at work.. The resolution is much better then the old Rift we had.

Still not as good as a decent monitor but a significant improvement.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #17 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:14:35 am »
I have upgraded my computer.

The rise of tomb raider bench marks looks different.  It now displays atmospheric effects, rain and snow.  With the new more powerful hardware the frames per second has dropped :-).

My system
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: 32 GB DDR4-3200  CL-16 (Ballistix Sport LT)
Graphics card: MSI Mech  5700 OC
Monitor: Iiyama  PL2792Q  IPS 2560 x 1440

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2019, 04:05:51 pm »
Have gone VR. Flying around space and can stand up and walk around space ship cabin. Not very far but it’s pretty immersive. Mostly not feeling sick but spinning slowly approaching a space station feels a bit odd.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:27:37 pm »
Have gone VR. Flying around space and can stand up and walk around space ship cabin. Not very far but it’s pretty immersive. Mostly not feeling sick but spinning slowly approaching a space station feels a bit odd.

Assuming this is E:D, take an SRV for a spin on a low-g planet, and see how that goes. If you can do that without nausea, you're a natural and should be signed up for the ESA astronaut programme immediately  :thumbsup:.

simonp

« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:31:07 pm »

Assuming this is E:D, take an SRV for a spin on a low-g planet, and see how that goes. If you can do that without nausea, you're a natural and should be signed up for the ESA astronaut programme immediately  :thumbsup:.

Not tried SRV yet. I used to sail a lot as a kid and tended not to get seasick but SRV might be a challenge.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:07:13 am »
Dammit, you're making me want to play computer games.  I loved Frontier.  (I was a bit too young to get the hang of the original Elite.)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »
When lying in bed early the night before an early shift: Cossacks

When on a day off and bored: World of Tanks Blitz, or World of Warships.

I ignore the sexism and stupidity on WoT, but sometimes it is impossible, such as when two members of a 'platoon' allegedly on my team wedged my vehicle into a corner until the game was lost. I suspect it was done in response to my clearly female username. The other effect of THAT is an endless stream of friend requests (ignored).

Cossacks takes hours to play a game; WoT is a seven minute round.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2019, 06:38:24 pm »
I've been addicted to Freecell for decades  ;D ;D ;D

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2019, 07:58:01 pm »
Elite Dangerous in VR can be awe inspiring in a very non-competitive, no particular purpose, I wonder what's over there kind of way. Over there is quite often a considerable distance.

I'm starting to get quite serious about sim-racing - which is starting to get taken quite seriously. I was asked to help some friends with set-ups and strategy for a new car in an endurance league. After a test event it looks like we could be elevated to the top division. There is a licencing system in the league, but you can gain direct access to Division One if you hold an FIA super licence. I've already raced against Max in a one off event.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.