Author Topic: Inspirational bass players  (Read 13064 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Inspirational bass players
« Reply #50 on: 28 January, 2021, 11:10:37 am »
Geezer “Terence” Butler.  And, improbable as it may sound, Half Man Half Biscuit's Neil Crossley.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #51 on: 28 January, 2021, 12:46:37 pm »
Danny Thompson - played bass or double bass for everyone form Pentangle, Richard Thompson and John Martyn.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #52 on: 28 January, 2021, 01:30:21 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Tal Wilkenfeld yet?

« Reply #53 on: 28 January, 2021, 01:36:05 pm »
Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai. Very distinctive sound

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #54 on: 28 January, 2021, 03:55:15 pm »
Mike Watt, the Minutemen, fIREHOSE and a number of collaborative projects including a stint as bass player in the reformed Stooges

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #55 on: 28 January, 2021, 05:29:24 pm »
Steve Harris of that Iron Maiden, that they have now.  And Lemmy in his Hawkwind days.

Lemmy on Master of the Universe

Geddy Lee is an underrated bass player, and left field - Share Pedersen of Vixen - used to do an awesome drum and bass duet cover of Moby Dick
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #56 on: 28 January, 2021, 05:56:10 pm »
Steve Harris of that Iron Maiden, that they have now.  And Lemmy in his Hawkwind days.

Lemmy on Master of the Universe

The original version – on “In Search Of Space – had Dave Anderson on bass.  The version of “Orgone Accumulator” from “Space Ritual”, however…. In fact, the entire album.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #57 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:14:19 pm »
Has anybody mentioned the wonderful Carol Kaye?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Just that intro to Witchita Lineman has to earn her a place here, surely?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #58 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:16:29 pm »
Why bless you pcolbeck sahib !
How could I forget about this master ?
It also reminded me of one of my favourite players Roy Babbington. Listen to him on "Your lovely ways pt 1 @ 2" by Mike Cooper. I think it's on spotify but it might be on youtube as well. Lovely.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #59 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:17:44 pm »
Dave Anderson also played with Amon Duul ii for a while. very tasteful.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #60 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:18:31 pm »

In the OP's list, otherwise I would have said something.

Have to admit I was never really aware of her until there was a programme on BBC4 a couple of years ago about influential bass players, in which she figured quite prominently, as you'd expect. Presented by Tina Weymouth, which is probably the main reason I watched it. Not currently available on iPlayer, unfortunately...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00023xl

ETA: Looking at the track listing for that programme reminds me of this, which is surely one of the greatest rock bass lines ever (Jack Bruce, also mentioned by the OP - although Ginger and Eric aren't bad on this track either):
https://youtu.be/7HfkSzsyh1E
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #61 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:25:09 pm »

In the OP's list, otherwise I would have said something.

Have to admit I was never really aware of her until there was a programme on BBC4 a couple of years ago about influential bass players, in which she figured quite prominently, as you'd expect. Presented by Tina Weymouth, which is probably the main reason I watched it. Not currently available on iPlayer, unfortunately...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00023xl

If anyone’s interested, I have a backup.  And also of the sibling episodes about guitar and drums.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #62 on: 28 January, 2021, 06:26:23 pm »
Don't think these mentioned yet

Andy Fraser
Felix Pappalardi
Willie Dixon

+1 for these mentioned above too
John Entwistle
Charlie Mingus
Flea
Tina Weymouth
Lemmy (Hawkwind period)
Jack Bruce
John Paul Jones

Richard Davis bass playing on Astral Weeks something special too :)

citoyen

« Reply #63 on: 28 January, 2021, 07:20:38 pm »
Does Holger Czukay deserve an honourable mention here?

Here's a great example of him in shirtless action (although Jaki Liebezeit does kind of steal the show):
https://youtu.be/LPjF4ZHuIko

« Reply #64 on: 28 January, 2021, 09:02:47 pm »
Joan Chamorro . His tireless Work with The Saint Andreu Jazz band , has made Barcelona the hot spot in the world for jazz .

Sid Wiess . Played with Louis Prima , Artie Shaw , Tommy Dorsey & Charley Barnet . To name a few .

Ron Carter OF course . Electric & double bass

David Steele with Andy Cox . Absulutley brilliant live .

Carlos Enriquez . Galliano and Marsalis  (live) playing La Vie En Rose is a good starter .

Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #65 on: 28 January, 2021, 11:02:08 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Just that intro to Witchita Lineman has to earn her a place here, surely?

As has been said, sprogs had Carol in the original post.  But I think her most memorable line is those few solo notes before the bridge in You've Lost That Loving Feeling, by Mann and Weill.

citoyen

« Reply #66 on: 28 January, 2021, 11:20:59 pm »
These Boots Are Made For Walkin' > Wichita Lineman
https://youtu.be/SbyAZQ45uww

« Reply #67 on: 28 January, 2021, 11:22:53 pm »
I think it was inevitable that this thread would end up being a list of people's favourite bassists.  There are certainly plenty of really fine players listed here.  But on reflection (admittedly not knowing the standard of sprogs's friend's daughter, or what is meant by "studying bass at college") I think the important thing is to learn which notes make up which types of chords, how the chords go together in sequences and which patterns you can use to get these in different places on the neck and in different keys.  Listen carefully to your theory/harmony teacher, if you've got one (if not, get one, or a good book).  Obviously, listen to lots of music.  But it's much more satisfying (and instructive) to be able to say, "Hey, Pino's playing the 3 and 5 of the opening chord, with no root!" on his stand out intro to Paul Young's version of "Wherever I Lay My Hat" than to have to look up the TAB of aome dubious transcription on the net.

Sorry if that sounds didactic (I'm a didact).  There are some great players in these posts - but study will help her appreciate them more - and emulate them quicker!

Just a lollipop to finish with:  I'd like to mention the sadly short-lived Bill Black (of Combo fame, my Lord) and especially his stand up playing on Otis Blackwell's Don't Be Cruel in the recording by Elvis.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #68 on: 29 January, 2021, 08:03:11 am »
Depends on your definition of what is an 'inspirational bass player' as per OP.

I was inspired to take up track riding after watching Sercu, Deboscher, Clarke, Allan, Burton, Gowland...... on the boards at the Wembley (Skol) 6. Not by reading about the training, diet, bikes, kit, drugs..................

Listening to Hawkwind (Motorhead, Masters of the Universe), Free (Mr Big), Van Morrison (Astral Weeks).... inspired me to buy a bass and learn a few riffs.

Sprog was asked to

recommend some bass players to inspire

and not 'why is, or what makes a, certain bass players inspirational?'

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #69 on: 29 January, 2021, 08:21:25 am »
I'm with Ian on this; the guitarists that have inspired me to play also happen to be amongst my favourites. Now if the question had been "who do you think are the most technically accomplished  bassists?" I suspect that the list would have been very different. I suspect the majority of people here don't know what a root is in this context let alone the third or fifth; it has to be a good day for me to know what key I'm playing in ;D.

« Reply #70 on: 29 January, 2021, 10:46:47 am »
Ian, my apologies for broadening the conversation a little.  I don't think I dismissed the idea of inspiration.

Paul "I suspect the majority of people here don't know what a root is in this context let alone the third or fifth;" this is almost certainly true!

and " it has to be a good day for me to know what key I'm playing in"  shows refreshing honesty and offers hope for your audiences!  ;)

citoyen

« Reply #71 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:02:00 am »
As per the great cover versions thread... I don't think Barry Adamson has been mentioned here yet, has he? But he should be. A few choice moments from his incredible oeuvre...

Magazine - Motorcade
https://youtu.be/oCv5w1TlLB4

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - From Her To Eternity
https://youtu.be/R8KFO36co5E

Barry Adamson w/ Jarvis Cocker - Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Pelvis
https://youtu.be/gSBBMy75_VE

Barry Adamson w/ Billy Mackenzie - Achieved In The Valley Of The Dolls
https://youtu.be/r0ZVcRWT69A

(Last two both from his brilliant Oedipus Schmoedipus album)

citoyen

« Reply #72 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:06:58 am »
Obviously, listen to lots of music.  But it's much more satisfying (and instructive) to be able to say, "Hey, Pino's playing the 3 and 5 of the opening chord, with no root!" on his stand out intro to Paul Young's version of "Wherever I Lay My Hat" than to have to look up the TAB of aome dubious transcription on the net.

Sorry if that sounds didactic (I'm a didact).  There are some great players in these posts - but study will help her appreciate them more - and emulate them quicker!

Depends on the context, I guess. I think you're right though - if I were learning to play bass myself, I would want to know more about what exactly is it that makes it great. But I'm not at all musical so I would need others to tell me exactly what it is about my nominations so far that makes them great - I stand by them all though, based purely on how they make me feel when I listen to them.

Also I think there's more to being an inspirational player of any instrument than just being technically good - in the realms of pop/rock music (as opposed to jazz), it's what you contribute to the overall effect rather than individual virtuosity that matters most. That's why someone like Peter Hook deserves a mention here.

« Reply #73 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:12:50 am »
No, he doesn't. He really doesn't.

Unless of course he is inspiring one to play badly.

You are sort of right and wrong about technical skills. Being technically proficient is not about overplaying, but tone, attack etc starts with the fingers. It's a large part of feel.

Peter Hook displays none of these. He just lucked out with being in a band whose sound allowed a bass player to just thrash along to the melody. There's little in the way of phrasing or dynamics there.

citoyen

« Reply #74 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:31:51 am »
Peter Hook displays none of these. He just lucked out with being in a band whose sound allowed a bass player to just thrash along to the melody. There's little in the way of phrasing or dynamics there.

Yes, I see what you mean. But isn't that kind of the point - that the 'thrashing along' style suits those New Order records so well.

But then perhaps they would have been even better with a decent bass player!

I'm currently listening to Magazine's Real Life in full and wondering to myself what New Order would have sounded like with Barry Adamson on bass... Hmmmm!