Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3923479 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26450 on: 01 April, 2024, 07:22:04 pm »
That sounds pretty alarming. I hope he's suitably bruised and your mudguard straightens out ok.

I had a ride yesterday, along the foot of the downs round Ditchling, where my mudguards proved incompatible with the mud but i heard woodpeckers. Then back on the downs to home, making a shorter loop than planned.

Today, with mudguards off the bike, a quick blast out to Glynde and up Beddingham Hill.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26451 on: 01 April, 2024, 08:39:28 pm »
That sounds pretty alarming. I hope he's suitably bruised and your mudguard straightens out ok.
The mudguard has actually never been entirely straight since putting the bike in the back of JBB's car in summer 2019! Which is in no way her fault. But it has realigned pretty well, and so has the headlight; fine adjustment will have to wait till I go out after dark. And I've just noticed a rear puncture, which I'm putting off till tomorrow...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26452 on: 02 April, 2024, 05:01:39 pm »
15.5k around my basic Barling loop. I wasn't going to, but I'm off to the sea front this evening with Choir Pal Liz - we are going to have a Chinese meal - and we were going to walk, which would be something like 2 miles each way. But the forecast is for yet more wet, so I went out this afternoon for a little gentle exercise and have notched up the Fitbit equivalent of 6600 paces. We are going to the meal in the car. The temperature was about 15°C whilst I was out, and that doesn't feel as comfortably warm as it used to.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26453 on: 02 April, 2024, 07:24:55 pm »
Out to the chemist for pills. Then to the bank for money's and a quick ride to the hospital to arrange transport Friday week for a eye appointment . Then ride to Windsor to the cycle shop to arrange the fitting of new brake pads to the tricon gr. And home in the rain 🌧. About 12 miles in all  :)

the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26454 on: 03 April, 2024, 11:12:08 pm »
Out to my weight loss group and then to Pen's with a view to cutting her lawn. But her luxuriant growth was far too moist. I was quite wet when I got there - riding through a downpour that wasn't in the forecast a couple of hours before it happened.

« Reply #26455 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:16:55 pm »
All types of weather, mud, gravel and tarmac, pub lunch and hills. Lots and lots of hills.
Staying in Rotherfield in North Sussex we are using the Pino (Pinocchio) to get my fitness up for the summer, as I have some rides planned which are a level above where I am.
2000ft (600m) elevation in 20miles (32km) surprised my HR was as low as it was. Expected far more Zone 3.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11105207248
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26456 on: 05 April, 2024, 02:21:43 pm »
48k on the eBrute to get my legs working again, having done only one ride per 8 days, mostly 'cos *ologist appointments & crap weather since the 160 I did mid-March.  As last time I intended to do it in sack'o'spuds mode so as not to go anaerobic and get sore quads but hell, that's no fun so now I have sore quads. Had mild angina  too but it buggered off once I was properly warmed up. Coronarography next Wednesday.  :(  Hope I can manage to get a 100k in beforehand.

ETA: Thuddy heart all night but V1/V4 ECG ok.  Not going to ride again before the coro, though... if I can bear to stay in when it's 24°C out with light wind.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26457 on: 06 April, 2024, 04:24:08 pm »
Not-café ride (flask and sarnies because it's closed for refurb).  A419 southbound closed so the lanes were full of ratrunners.  Chanced it with a closed road - someone is having a multimillion house refurb and they're putting the electric in - and we were able to sneak past on the verge, avoiding a very hilly 15 mile diversion, other roads in the area also being closed.  Phew.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26458 on: 06 April, 2024, 09:00:40 pm »
First real ride since before december (taking a utility bike out to get a load of spices while I was in Oxford doesn't count). Following a fortnight of semi-intensive (for me!) home-trainer sessions today was the biggie, 100kms to get to the club restaurant meet and back to the car (I didn't want to ride with them because speed, fitness and my growing hatred of riding in groups). Out was good, 51kms fairly easy (350m climbing but more than that descending) pushed along by a 35km/h tailwind. I had time in hand to chill out in the sunny gale and recharge the telephone. The meal was a bit under par, we've been using this restaurant for at least a couple of decades but standards have gone down with new ownership, the pres is going to look for somewhere else for nesxt year.
The return was always going to be a bit of a grovel. So, no surprises, that's how it turned out. More climbing than descending and that wind now straight in the face (but it did calm a bit in the middle of the afternoon so not all misery). A different route too, to avoid boredom. 56kms but not so disastrous time wise although a lot more in the time not moving category due to photos, map-reading, cereal bars and a couple of very painful toes.
 2h40 for the morning's run (which should have been quicker but no need and saving the energy a bit for later, also photos and mapreading a bit). 3h20 for the afternoon which I would consider pretty good in the circumstances. But only 20mins in the non-moving box in the morning and 40mins in the afternoon, which does tell a bit of a tale.
Just for the record, I had prepared routes on RWGPS for the phone app. Unfortunately I appear to have deleted the connection identity and password. Fortunately I had also downloaded the relevant maps onto Organic Maps, which was my saviour, given that I knew pretty much where I wanted to go. The eTrex is just serving as a speed and distance recorder at present!

« Reply #26459 on: 11 April, 2024, 08:13:22 pm »
About 22 miles around a local loop including black Park and ncn61 along the jubilee River. A pleasant little Potter and it didn't rain   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26460 on: 11 April, 2024, 10:12:35 pm »
Trip to Pen's & back for an afternoon's tea drinking & natter. Her son has just been discharged from hospital after having a kidney stone removed.

« Reply #26461 on: 12 April, 2024, 07:20:43 am »
A shopping trip across York yesterday. Been a while and it was painfully evident how the roads have got worse in not much time. Outside the station the demolition of Queen Street bridge is underway and the road will be closed later this month to complete its destruction. One change that should make cycling easier. It could have been the last time I ride over it.

Did 17.48 km with lots of stops to do stuff.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #26462 on: 12 April, 2024, 12:05:46 pm »
Went out with my local group for first time in ages on Wednesday, 28 miles. Used the ebike even though a flat ride, glad I did. Some light rain at times but no problem even though I hate cycling in the rain. Great to chat with  other members at the coffee and pub stops.

Need to rebuild fitness after last few years pandemic, it's harder now I've turned 80! How did I get here?!

« Reply #26463 on: 12 April, 2024, 12:26:18 pm »
Did a reconnaissance to a newly reopened cafe Cotswold Halt Cafe, Toddington but it was closed. Open tomorrow.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #26464 on: 12 April, 2024, 03:17:08 pm »
Did a reconnaissance to a newly reopened cafe Cotswold Halt Cafe, Toddington but it was closed. Open tomorrow.
..but the website says open six days a week (closed Mon). Disappointing, and perhaps is an indication of their levels of customer service. I'd be very fed up if I was you, but I might give them a chance myself sometime as I'm only a few miles away.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26465 on: 12 April, 2024, 04:50:01 pm »
..but the website says open six days a week (closed Mon). Disappointing, and perhaps is an indication of their levels of customer service. I'd be very fed up if I was you, but I might give them a chance myself sometime as I'm only a few miles away.

That was exactly what I was thinking - it's a pleasant ride there and back for me - perhaps I'll phone first if I plan to ride there.

« Reply #26466 on: 12 April, 2024, 09:01:24 pm »
Out to Langley and back with apollo who's home for the weekend. He carried all his weekend needs home in panniers on his bike. Good training for the cotswold weekend next month 💪  :)

« Reply #26467 on: 13 April, 2024, 11:51:07 am »
23.5km across York on the shopper. I need a bike with nice fat tyres to beat the potholes.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26468 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:11:28 pm »
43k coffee trot w. El Prez, mostly notable for the droves of shoppers & their cars getting in the way. Saw one old dear on a sit-up-and-beg bike crowded to the side so that she had to stop behind a parked car and wait until the traffic cleared before getting round it. Bloody Saturday.

Slow ride, which was just as well since I'm out of training. Heart fine once warmed up, running at 110% "max" on last straight with no anomalies.

« Reply #26469 on: 13 April, 2024, 07:37:04 pm »
My first group ride with the Slough freewheelers. Me and apollo covered a 16 mile circuit out towards maidenhead and and back via Windsor stopping at cafe midway. A nice gentle paced potter and  as it was fairly flat they didn't have to push me uphill yet..  :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26470 on: 14 April, 2024, 02:45:57 pm »
52k on my own to take advantage of a perfect day rather than sit home grousing. Much more peaceful than yesterday.  Fun.  Legs a bit stiff, heart a bit dickey but neither serious. Maybe.

Saw: something like a vole scampering across the cycle path at risk of its life, and a couple of thuggish ravens harrying a poor innocent wee kestrel that probably just wanted an egg or two.

« Reply #26471 on: 14 April, 2024, 04:19:16 pm »
Out for two rides with my wife. One yesterday and one today.  Brilliant fun as she has. It ridden for over a year due to arthritis, then illness. We went up tissington trail from callow where we stayed the night. Did almost 2 hours yesterday and an hour today. She really enjoyed herself and the bike worked really well.
I invested in a secondhand trek electric carbon bike which I then converted to di2 for her as she has no concept of left and right or up and down gears.
She loved the electric assist and I got a really good workout. Turns out that an extra 250watts makes me push 250 watts consistently! 
Amazing weather, sun shining and a lovely night in the van.  Just brilliant.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26472 on: 14 April, 2024, 07:22:09 pm »
Tandem club ride, from somewhere in Leafy Sutton.

Lovely weather, good pub stop, (although no Food of Champions), whiz down hill after lunch for a gratuitous loop and climb up to where we'd just been. Absolutely spiffy long freewheel down over what looks like a several of km, as we dropped down from Banstead to Ewell. Lovely CAIK at the orgs' house to finish.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26473 on: 14 April, 2024, 07:49:52 pm »
12.5k of very hilly Pembrokeshire. Cold and windy. Used a lot of electrons.

« Reply #26474 on: 14 April, 2024, 10:15:02 pm »
Daughter wanted to go for a bike ride today, so as I needed to test the saddle rack and dynamo front wheel on my 1950s bike, we did a (very) slow ride down to Coalhouse Fort and back (about 28 - 30miles).

Amazed by the improvement that TPU tubes made to this already quite fast rolling bike, and despite fitting a homebuilt wheel with 32 plain gauge spokes, laced 3x, dynamo hub and a permanently on dynamo front light, with a Schwalbe Lugano (as opposed to the GP5000 on the non-dynamo wheel).

On the way back I tried to get a good time on a Strava segment, climbing a little hill with the wind on my back. Surprisingly, I equalled my best ever time on that segment (set while on a tandem). Surprising because -
1) I am badly out of condition and more than a stone overweight.
2) The 1950s bike is fully mudguarded, and mudflapped.
3) My heart rate stayed below 140
4) Windspeed was only about 7mph (11kph), my roadspeed was about 27mph, dropping to 26mph at the top of the climb.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"