Linked Events

• Round & round the M25: 05 June, 2010

Author Topic: Round & round the M25 - 5th June 2010  (Read 23787 times)

Re: Round & round the M25 - 5th June
« Reply #75 on: 06 June, 2010, 08:55:42 am »

Great pic  :thumbsup:

That wasn't at the start of the ride, was it? ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #76 on: 06 June, 2010, 09:02:19 am »
Well, it definitely was an experience!

A group of 5 of us, nicely coordinated on 3 Planet X Ti and 2 blue Ribbles, set off from Dartford Crossing just before 9 am, full of hope and enthusiasm, but gradually the heat & the hills took their toll, so we first lost Andrij and then Adrian.  With this route, there's just no getting away from the fact that if you want to stick fairly close to the M25, it will be undulating.  Also, at times, you end up going up a hill and then descending the other side, simply because there's no other safe road available.  I had made good use of bike hike though to try and ensure whichever road used was the easiest, if there were alternatives.  

Matt had the right idea of starting this early in the morning, and doing the Northern section first, but he's clearly a very strong rider, as he zoomed past where we'd stopped, quicker than I'd expected.  Initially our moving average was around 13.5 mph, but thanks to Brian's power-house pulling ability, we got back towards 15 mph average towards the end, so despite the stops, I was very pleased to have got back to the bridge just before 9.30 pm.  I think I'd recced about 60% of the route over the last month or so, and some other bits I vaguely knew the roads, but having to stop and double check the map certainly does slow you up.  Apart from Martin & Brian missing a turn, we only went off route once and added about an extra ½ mile overall.

At times I felt a bit exhausted and so had to resort to artificial stimulants, although I ignored one lot of energy drinks which were sugar free and only 60 calories - what's the point of that?  My stomach felt a bit iffy on the train back, but as I had chicken in black bean sauce waiting for me at home, I soon felt better.

Well done to everyone for your company and for your participation.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #77 on: 06 June, 2010, 09:06:58 am »
Well done chaps.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #78 on: 06 June, 2010, 09:09:55 am »
^+1

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #79 on: 06 June, 2010, 11:19:40 am »
I'm glad that you lot have done the reccy ride for me and tested it out. Now I just need to find a free weekend and do it over two days
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #80 on: 06 June, 2010, 12:10:32 pm »
Well done all  :) 242 km in 10:15 - way beyond my current endurance level I suspect so just as well I dropped out. Impressive.

« Reply #81 on: 07 June, 2010, 12:16:41 pm »
Now as I have recovered it was a most enjoyable ride. Thanks Adam for finding a good route around the M25 and thanks to Martin for the picture and being good company on the ride. I found the last bit of the ride the hardest as usually the long rides finish at home so I know where I am. I am glad the last bit was a nice downhill section made it a lot easier.
I dont want another fissy sweet drink ever (or at least until my next long ride) I have not signed up for this months FNRttc yet.
Finishing a ride by train is never good as you have plenty of time to let those muscles get stiff. It was too far and late to ride home. Got in just after midnight just as it started to rain. The trian did keep me dry.

« Reply #82 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:12:34 pm »
242kms in 10 hrs 15 mins

Is that the overall time including stops?

« Reply #83 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:30:50 pm »
I'm not sure what they others managed, my ride was 307km in 13h15 (including stops), 11h49 moving.
About 100km of that (the southern leg) was ridden with the group, my extra distance was riding to/from the M25.

Martini

« Reply #84 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:01:25 pm »
Hello Sgt Pluck, that was rolling time - roughly. Brian and Adam pulled the pace up  - we luxuriated for too long at garages, 'The Coolings' (poshest garden centre we could lay our hands on..) and, if you're on a mission, then it is important to be disciplined about the stop / start bits... (Which is why I have trouble with cafés that serve an early morning 'sharpener' after a Saturday Night Ride!  ;D )
There are a few more pics here - but it wasn't that sort of ride - well, not after the first tea break anyway!

http://tinypic.com/a/244dj/4

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #85 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:26:06 pm »
We left Dartford at 08.40 and arrived back at 21.25, so 2½ hours of non cycling, which as Martin said, was too long for this sort of ride.

I'll be more disciplined next time.  :demon:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #86 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »
Next time?  :D

Based on the pace you lot kept, if I came along I would have to keep cycling non-stop with no breaks in order to finish not too far behind y'all  :-[

« Reply #87 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:58:02 pm »

I'll be more disciplined next time.  :demon:

Why?
What's the rush?

« Reply #88 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:19:23 pm »
I can't speak for Adam on this, but riding at a good pace meant that the day worked out really well for me.

I was up before everyone else in the house - so it doesn't matter to the family if I left before 3am or before 8am as they wouldn't see me either way. They went to the beach for the day. I was back mid afternoon, fed, bathed, relaxed and feeling human again a couple of hours later with some tidying up of the house done.

When they walked in I had food ready and a nice family evening followed - a top result, a decent day out on the bike and some quality family time  :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #89 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:21:07 pm »
 ;D

My train ticket back home was only valid for Saturday.  ;)

« Reply #90 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:58:23 pm »
But you did have a bike with you...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #91 on: 12 August, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »
{Thread resurrection}

Today I was wandering around London Zoo with my son, when my phone rang.  A young lady had got my number from this topic, after googling "Round M25 cycle rides" and was planning on copying this epic route for a charity ride in a couple of weeks.   :o

After giving her all my words of wisdom, such as "don't do it", I still hadn't put her off, although she may split it over a weekend, but I told her to register and let us know how she got on.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #92 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:33:49 pm »
Just had a conversation with Mel who's just completed the ride after splitting it into 2 days.  They suffered rain & strong winds, punctures and a flat battery in the GPS, so they'd got a bit lost.  I had to call her to tell her how to escape West Thurrock and get the crossing people to take them over the bridge.

Hopefully it won't have put them off cycling!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #93 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:44:27 pm »
Top news, now I just have to do it don't I.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #94 on: 29 August, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »
Top news, now I just have to do it don't I.

You are not the only one

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #95 on: 14 November, 2010, 03:01:30 pm »
Funnily enough, in the last 2 weeks, I now had 3 different people ask me about this ride.

June 21st 2011 is the summer solstice, so either Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th would be the best days, and they don't clash with a FNRttC or Roger's Oxford to London rides.

So bookmark that weekend for maximum AAA* points.

* Adam's Amazing Adventures  © Aperitif

« Reply #96 on: 14 November, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »
Funnily enough, in the last 2 weeks, I now had 3 different people ask me about this ride.

June 21st 2011 is the summer solstice, so either Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th would be the best days, and they don't clash with a FNRttC or Roger's Oxford to London rides.

So bookmark that weekend for maximum AAA* points.

* Adam's Amazing Adventures  © Aperitif

Sunday 26th is the day after my son's 18th. That really could be a good day to be out.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #97 on: 24 November, 2010, 02:53:25 pm »
Sunday 26th is the day after my son's 18th. That really could be a good day to be out.

Mmm - on a Sunday, trains are a bit sparse to start with, although currently from London Bridge, there's a train at 07.38 getting into Dartford Rail at 08.19, meaning we could then look at an 08.30 departure from Dartford Bridge.  Once they publish the summer schedules, there may be earlier trains.  I'll put it in the calendar (once 2011 becomes available).

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #98 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:53:32 pm »
Hmmm...fancy this. Intending to do an eight-day LeJOG at the end of May/beginning of June, should be good prep for this  ;D
Saturday would definitely be far easier for me than Sunday, earliest train I can get up to Dartford on a Sunday doesn't get in until just before 10, Saturday I can get there for 8 (with a 5am start....groan!).
Having read the reports of how some suffered in the heat of the day this time round (I would have done), how about running this with a Friday night start? Still options for refuelling & bailing out, plenty of trains home afterwards.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
Re: Round & round the M25 - 5th June 2010
« Reply #99 on: 25 November, 2010, 05:45:19 am »
At the time, I did also discuss doing this as a night ride.  Perhaps a better option might be to start Saturday night, so that then we arrive back late Sunday morning.  That would have the easiest traffic overall, although to be honest, it wasn't really an issue.

However, the major downside is that running it at night would mean for the first half until you reached Heathrow/the M4, the only place to get a train would mean a detour down to Horley, as for everywhere else on the southern half of the route on either a Saturday or Sunday morning, the trains don't start running until 6 - 6.30 am.  So there's no other bail out points.