Author Topic: New Satmap Active 10 Firmware  (Read 2178 times)

New Satmap Active 10 Firmware
« on: 13 January, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »
I just got an email from Satmap (which is a first!) telling me that there is a new firmware update (Version 1.3) for the Active 10.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks to implement some new features, including making things respond faster, and removing some issues (such as making the power off a two key operation, to avoid accidental power offs).

There are more details of the new features under the link.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: New Satmap Active 10 Firmware
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2009, 09:11:23 pm »
OK, so I've installed this and used it a bit now:

• New grids, OSGB in ten digits, and various new languages.  I don't use anything but OSGB, and English, and don't generally look at the coordinates as numbers anyway, I've got better GPS's for that sort of thing.
  • The new direction of movement indicator looks interesting, but this morning my eyes were watering too much to be able to watch the display whilst moving.
  • It's good that the map scale is displayed as the map rescales, it's much easier to see than it used to be.
  • Switching between trail up and north up is instantaneous, which is good, but hardly earth shattering.
  • It's nice that to turn it off you have to press the power button, and then hit another button to confirm it.  This is definitely a useful addition, having occasionally turned it off by mistake in the past.
  • Trip logging: If you don't press Start on the trip log, it doesn't record anything.  I think Stop and Starting logging used to only effect the numeric values (trip distance, average etc) but now you get nothing, including the log, so it's very important to press start if you want information to be recorded.
  • Apparently the distance-to-end is now along the route, rather than the as-the-bird-flies distance, which has to be more useful.

Overall not the most stunning of updates, but probably worthwhile.  The display of the track points on the screen seems a little more "laggy" than it used to be, but this is a bit subjective and hard to quantify, it's always been a little behind reality.  This is really only a problem when travelling around a dense urban environment, like London, which unfortunately is what I do a lot of the time.  A worse problem in these sort of locations is that small errors between the GPS values and the mapping can make it difficult to know exactly which road you are on.  I've just got a copy of the 1:14000 A-Z on order, so that may make things better than the 1:50000 mapping which I'm normally using.

Rob S

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »
I presume you post or at least lurk on Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras tis the best place for all Satmap 10.

TRhe update is ok...nothing that really gets my juices going as they don't really fit in with the way I use the device....potentially useful could've been the 'Distance to end of route' based along the route but I don't have the route setup to follow exactly the roads I'm taking as the line blocks out useful detail....trip logging would have to be far more accurate before I even use it. I'm hoping the direction indicator doesn't block out any useful detail too.

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:44:40 pm »
.... I'm hoping the direction indicator doesn't block out any useful detail too.

the direction indicator is a small thin blue arrow on the periphery of the blue circle that is centred around the current location.  Since where you are is in the centre of the circle, that is un-obscured, and the line is thin enough that it doesn't really block out much.

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:00:38 pm »
Excellent news :thumbsup: