Author Topic: Bivvying Tonight?  (Read 14019 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Bivvying Tonight?
« Reply #25 on: 15 April, 2020, 11:41:46 am »
A little bored I am which has led me to spend 30ish quid on an eBay tarp, a couple of poles and a bit more paracord.  I already have a Hunka bivvy bag, mat and sleeping bag.

I'm thinking a back garden bivvy might be fun.  Anyone else up for it?  If so perhaps we can agree on a date in the foreseeable and do it together in a not together kinda way.

« Reply #26 on: 15 April, 2020, 11:53:11 am »
I might go hammock. I don't own a bivvy bag, borrowed thr one for our Mersea trip and I'm a bit put off as know there's a few rats about in my garden currently.... They're being dealt with shall we say

Oscar's dad

« Reply #27 on: 15 April, 2020, 12:01:42 pm »
I might go hammock. I don't own a bivvy bag, borrowed thr one for our Mersea trip and I'm a bit put off as know there's a few rats about in my garden currently.... They're being dealt with shall we say

Sounds good  :thumbsup:  We try to agree a date, why not join the virtual MEMWNS this evening so we can discuss?

« Reply #28 on: 15 April, 2020, 12:14:13 pm »
MEN With No Shame ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #29 on: 15 April, 2020, 12:17:58 pm »
MEN With No Shame ?

You're not a million miles from the truth but actually this.  And we do have female participants too  :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #30 on: 15 April, 2020, 12:31:45 pm »
I did the NHS garden camp-out a few weeks ago - I slept on a hard standing as everything else is uneven. it was pretty fun!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 15 April, 2020, 12:37:41 pm »
I did the NHS garden camp-out a few weeks ago - I slept on a hard standing as everything else is uneven. it was pretty fun!

I missed that, time to catch up!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #32 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:10:31 pm »
I did a virtual ride in Flanders this afternoon, now camping in the garden with Rochefort 10 and Westveleteren 12  ;D

« Reply #33 on: 16 April, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »

It's quite a big deal. Running again on May Bank holiday. I did the Easter one and tried out my new carcamping tesnt. Very pleased with the Robens Pioneer EX3. Very well put together and acres of room. If I ever go cycletouring in the winter I might just consider taking it at 2.8 kg.
Reine de la Fauche

Oscar's dad

« Reply #34 on: 16 April, 2020, 03:25:21 pm »

It's quite a big deal. Running again on May Bank holiday. I did the Easter one and tried out my new carcamping tesnt. Very pleased with the Robens Pioneer EX3. Very well put together and acres of room. If I ever go cycletouring in the winter I might just consider taking it at 2.8 kg.

May Bank Holiday might work!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #35 on: 16 April, 2020, 04:18:42 pm »
A little bored I am which has led me to spend 30ish quid on an eBay tarp, a couple of poles and a bit more paracord.  I already have a Hunka bivvy bag, mat and sleeping bag.

I'm thinking a back garden bivvy might be fun.  Anyone else up for it?  If so perhaps we can agree on a date in the foreseeable and do it together in a not together kinda way.

Ooh - I might be up for this, if it were a weekend night...  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #36 on: 16 April, 2020, 05:04:19 pm »

Gulp.  And you know where I live. Remember social distancing  ;D :-*

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #37 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:25:51 am »

Gulp.  And you know where I live. Remember social distancing  ;D :-*

We could do remote back garden bivvying.   The WiFi reaches into our garden.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #38 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:31:47 am »
Reg, after much deliberation it’s been decided you can take part but you have to dress up as The Mad Monk again!

« Reply #39 on: 17 April, 2020, 10:00:14 am »
It's my daughters birthday next week & she's asked to celebrate with garden camping.  She's a little nervous of it but has agreed that she & I will bivy/tarp whilst the wife (who is not up for the idea at all) and youngest will go in one of the tents  :thumbsup:

Will be the first use of my 'new' bivy, not quite the circumstances planned, but a nice way to get some use of it all the same. 

« Reply #40 on: 17 April, 2020, 05:47:25 pm »
I slept out last night my excuse was to try out a new bike parking system and my newly arrived sea to summit sleeping pad and it is great to vary routine a bit.  The new pad the ultralight insulated with pump was fine.  I had not read anywhere about the "pillow lock" system.  It was too late to put the sticky stuff on last night so I did it today.  Being a picky sort with pillows I have one of the approved sea to summit pillows, issues with balance make me picky.  The stuff you stick on does not seem very sticky but the pillow definitely "sticks" to the pads.  So one up for sea to summit.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #41 on: 21 August, 2020, 02:57:05 pm »
Off to try the (new) Elan tonight - could be a baptism of fire for it, better make sure I'm well anchored / sheltered ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #42 on: 21 August, 2020, 03:04:03 pm »
Off to try the (new) Elan tonight - could be a baptism of fire for it, better make sure I'm well anchored / sheltered ;D

Yes, fill you pockets with rocks or your bivvy might turn into some sort of airship!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #43 on: 21 August, 2020, 11:11:42 pm »
‘tis fine; on the Wansdyke above Pewsey, but lovely flat space surrounded by trees, so it’s like the eye of the storm.

Night John boy....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #44 on: 22 August, 2020, 07:23:38 am »
‘tis fine; on the Wansdyke above Pewsey, but lovely flat space surrounded by trees, so it’s like the eye of the storm.

Night John boy....

How’s it this morning?  Did you get blown away?  ;D

« Reply #45 on: 22 August, 2020, 01:55:04 pm »

Night John boy....

How’s it this morning?  Did you get blown away?  ;D
No reply is a bit of a worry.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: 22 August, 2020, 09:54:10 pm »
No, It's fine; didn't notice anything overnight at all.

Being a side sleeper though the Elan wa s a bit tight at the sholders (in vertical plane), but that's probably due to using the Exped 9cm mat; I'll try it with a 5cm.

« Reply #47 on: 23 August, 2020, 07:00:19 am »
No, It's fine; didn't notice anything overnight at all.

Being a side sleeper though the Elan wa s a bit tight at the sholders (in vertical plane), but that's probably due to using the Exped 9cm mat; I'll try it with a 5cm.

May I ask how wide you are at the shoulders? My Elan is on its way and I side sleep.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #48 on: 23 August, 2020, 09:53:50 am »
Scapula-Scapula: 18cm
Outside edges: ~49cm

It was a thick mat (Exped 9cm) thobut, normally it’d be the Soloist tent (for colder times), which has more room - I’ll see what a Cloudbase (5cm) fits/feels like when it turns up...bivvy somewhere on the way to Peak District end Sept.

« Reply #49 on: 23 August, 2020, 01:30:39 pm »
Scapula-Scapula: 18cm
Outside edges: ~49cm

It was a thick mat (Exped 9cm) thobut, normally it’d be the Soloist tent (for colder times), which has more room - I’ll see what a Cloudbase (5cm) fits/feels like when it turns up...bivvy somewhere on the way to Peak District end Sept.

I'm only 47cm and my NeoAir is 6.5cm so it should be ok. I like the look of the Cloudbase. The shape seems good for comfortable sleeping.