Author Topic: SE London - children/families ride Sunday 11th  (Read 2208 times)

SE London - children/families ride Sunday 11th
« on: 09 May, 2008, 08:12:16 am »
Tom Crispin, a teacher at John Ball school in SE London organises cycle training at the school and cycle rides.
He is organising a series of trial bike rides and family cycling events for families with children. I'd guess YACFers with kids might be interested!

(A Locks/Docks ride is a ride down along the Thames Path, over the Woolwich Ferry then returning via the Royal Docks and Excel on the other side. Mostly off-road)

This kicks off with Junior Locks and Docks on Sunday 11  May.

Meet at 11am at The Crown at the top of Blackheath Village, 11.30am at
Cutty Sark Gardens. Return to Blackheath at about 4pm. Bring
sandwiches if you don't want to buy lunch in a cafe.

About 15 easy miles.

Suitable for children aged 8 upwards who are competent cyclists, or
younger children who are from 'cycling families' or who are on a tandem
or trailerbike. Children in Year 6 or above may cycle with us without
an accompanying parent so long as they have written consent.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: SE London - children/families ride Sunday 11th
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:19:38 am »
I happen to have Superstoker in town this weekend, and that sounds really interesting, but I think the getting to/from Blackheath on top of the ride might be a bit much :(
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:47:57 am »
Do you need a Tail End Charlie, as I'm free on Sunday and quite like that ride?  I haven't any kids though...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:57:25 am »
Clarion, there is a start point at 11:30 at the Cutty Sark - so no need to huff and puff up the hill.

Regulator, I'm not organising the ride. Tom will have organised people to act as helpers I'm sure - but don't let that put you off coming along. I think its great to encourage youngsters to get out there on their bikes, so I should be there too.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:12:20 am »
Tom Crispin is a generally good chap. His school won a prize a few years back for the massive improvement in cycling to school (from 2% to over 50% in a relatively deprived area) so he took two kids to City Hall to collect it. They cycled there and back.  ;D

He is generally found hanging around on uk.rec.cycling.

He was one of the contributors to this leaflet (yes I am biased, it is my daughter on the front). The leaflet has an interesting history of it's own. Tom first posted a typical 'information sheet for parents' for comments from other cycle instructors. Several contributed (including our own keepontriking). Some suggestions for photos were made (including the front cover). Tom claimed not to have expertise with getting the appropriate pics so armed with a point and shoot camera, a daughter, Pete Clinch's wife Roos, and some enthusiasm we took the cover photo.
Another urc contributor then did the graphic design. After a couple of iterations it was finished. TfL overprinted their logo on it (the design was intended to let this happen) and distributed thousands of copies around London.
Kind of ironic that the cover picture for the leaflet distributed in London is taken in Dundee, of a girl who doesn't cycle to school (she walks - it is 300m), with a dutch model posing as the parental accompaniment.

If you want to reproduce the leaflet, the creative commons license allows that.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:46:41 pm »
I happen to have Superstoker in town this weekend, and that sounds really interesting, but I think the getting to/from Blackheath on top of the ride might be a bit much :(

What about travelling most of the way there/back by river? You may even be able to start from Putney.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:26:44 pm »
Tom Crispin is a generally good chap. His school won a prize a few years back for the massive improvement in cycling to school (from 2% to over 50% in a relatively deprived area) so he took two kids to City Hall to collect it. They cycled there and back.  ;D

He is generally found hanging around on uk.rec.cycling.

He was one of the contributors to this leaflet

Not only that, but his lightning reflexes once allowed him to deliver a gloved backhander to a flying fag end, such that it was returned back through the car window from which it came.

I think this is a Good Thing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2008, 05:45:26 pm »
I won't be along on this ride. SWMBO has organised something else.
Don't let that stop you coming along though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:40:06 pm »
We shan't be there.  Although I think getting some miles in would be a good thingTM, my son will be off to his mum's mid-afternoon, so no chance of fitting it in.
Getting there...