Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL food  (Read 3189 times)

Darren Franks

• Adventure Capitalist
    • The Adventure Capitalist Blog
[LEL17] LEL food
« on: 12 June, 2017, 08:20:52 pm »
I know the controls are well catered for sit-down meals but are there portable options for those who plan to eat on the bike? Do we know in advance what each control is planning to serve?

Re: LEL food
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »
You could strap a plate your bike's handlebars; that should work.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:06:13 pm »
I bounced the first few controls on LEL in 2013 and was able to grab food to eat on the go without issue.

When I rode Windsor Chester Windsor in 2015, which was organised by the same LEL team, I was again able to bounce controls by just grabbing food & eating on the bike.

Conclusion: Should be fine.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:28:53 pm »
Ditto WCW 2015. Bananas, flapjacky stuff.  Wobbly's alcohol soaked goodies. I'll be taking a zip lock food  bag in case it's needed for unwrapped transportable stuff.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2017, 12:59:51 am »
If you ask really nicely they might be able to find you some of those sealed petrol station filled croissants for the authentic TCR experience ;)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2017, 06:52:02 am »
The feeling is that 'Grab and Go' food encourages waste - much of it ends up still squeezed into a back pocket at the end of the ride and riders have a tendency to take more than they need. So there is no universal guidance on what each control will provide.

At Barnard Castle I think there will be cakes and fruit to grab, but little else. Other controls will vary.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Darren Franks

• Adventure Capitalist
    • The Adventure Capitalist Blog
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2017, 07:52:31 am »
You could strap a plate your bike's handlebars; that should work.
One TCR strategy I had was to line a stem bag with dozens of dog poo bags and then just empty food into it and munch with a spork on the go, before throwing the bag away to reveal the next one. Unfortunately I couldn't find space to mount it in the end.

If you ask really nicely they might be able to find you some of those sealed petrol station filled croissants for the authentic TCR experience ;)
<shudder> I'll be happy if I never have to eat another 7-Day croissant again

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:47:39 am »
Darren,
Do you know about Gethyn Butler and baked beans? You need to borrow some of his strategies. Good luck!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:02:19 pm »
Edible fairing made from malt loaf, hands-free cornish pastie holder - all in Oscar's dad's Little Book of Big Ideas.

Carradice bar-bag as feeding trough works for me - can get a bit sticky...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2017, 07:22:37 pm »
At St Ives, I'm not planning much grab and go food because of the waste factor.  But we're working very hard on speed of service, with food that's fast to eat so that people can stop and start quick.  And you can pretty much munch a bacon buttie from the service hatch to where you've parked your bike.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)